[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did it become so cool to hate on Ayn Rand? No memes, please.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: Messages Image(1968919737).png (137 KB, 382x237) Image search: [Google]
Messages Image(1968919737).png
137 KB, 382x237
When did it become so cool to hate on Ayn Rand? No memes, please.
>>
since her very birth

now go away
>>
>>8214576
It's been cool to hate on Ayn Rand since you turned about 18 or so.
>>
About a year ago when Tumblr got into her.

It waxes and wanes though.
>>
To be honest no one ever took her seriously out side of neocons and CEOs, but the libershit movement is reviving her for some reason, to promote individualism or egoism or some shit idk really. But all that I'm getting across is that no one ever took her seriously.
>>
She's female.
>>
>>8214646
>libershit

I thought libertarianism was dead. It was always a predominately internet thing and it seems like it's popularity has been usurped by alt-right Stormfags.
>>
File: bullshit.png (32 KB, 536x498) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.png
32 KB, 536x498
since the lolbertarians rigged this
>>
>>8215141

At least they recognize Rand and Hubbard have a similar amount of literary value.
>>
Ayn Rand lolbertarianism used to be the cool hip thing that all the cool internet kids used to love, but now it's just a passing fad, like every political meme on the internet. It recently got totally usurped by all the Bernie bullshit, but when he lost the nomination, that started to die down fairly quickly. Now, with /r/thedonald, you can expect alt-right faggotry coming soon to a redditor near you. After that, who knows who the next temporary idol will be? Judging by the aforementioned individuals, I'm guessing someone equally as uninformed as the general public, with a particular fondness for bold but ultimately empty statements, combined with an unprecedented supply of unwarranted self-confidence.
>>
>>8215141

kek. the massive difference in quality between the critic and reader lists is so fucking funny to me. people love to hate on critics but they really do tend to have superior taste.

even for the sight & sound film poll, the critic poll is a noticeable step up from the director poll (although the lists are similar).
>>
>>8214576
When enough people started quoting Nietzsche and Atlas Shrugged to be edgy, that criticizing them made you sound edgy, that's when.
>>
Since the right adopted her, when she became the mantle of capitalism the left took her as a symbol of greed and selfishness. It's a proxy of the debate between regulating markets/providing safety nets and purer economic freedom that defined the Democrat vs. Republican divide (there were also social issues, of course, but the Religious Right fell out of favor alongside Bush W).

Recently the left has been making an even stronger push with identity politics (though it's been relatively soft on economics for decades because Cold War), and the alt-right, because of that or something else, has in turn been rebelling against both the left and the mainstream right. As >>8215131 says, libertarians and the "tax cuts and GDP" right have been subsumed by the alt-right, who consider such economic factors at best a distraction from, and at worst a threat to, nationalism, tradition, and race.

Ironically, as much as they bleat about how everything from interracial double anal to women voting is Marxist, the alt-right (possibly soon to just be the right) could very well find itself home to hippy-dippy anti-corporate leftists. Sanders is remarkably in-line with Trump's protectionism, and both said hippies and the alt-right are unified by opposition to free trade and globalism. Naomi Klein may be a Jewish feminist, but her hatred of neoliberalism is fertile ground for volkisch patriarchy.
>>
>>8216463
good shit
>>
>>8217190
Thanks, I've been working out a theory about the rise of the alt-right and Trump; when you take on the entire GOP/conservative establishment from the right and win, you know shit just got real.
>>
after Bioshock 1 came out
>>
>>8216463
>>8217304
The alt-right likes Trump, but Trump himself is not an alt-righter of the type you are talking about. It's actually accidental that there is congruence between Trump and the alt-righters.
>>
>>8217319
I'm well aware, a lot of support for Trump is projecting /pol/ ideals that are inconceivable for any other candidate. He may be promoting things the GOP wouldn't dream of, but he's no Moon Man (also building a border wall isn't a new idea, McCain said to build it in 2008).

That said, he's still a sign of rising sentiments that the alt-right is an extreme form of, echoing Pat Buchanan and Sam Francis in a protectionist nationalism. He's nowhere near as socially conservative as them, though, or even Ted "the constitution doesn't protect dildos" Cruz.
>>
>>8214576
>No memes, please.

Ayn Rand is a meme her self. Literally no one that matters takes her seriously.
>>
>>8218434
>Literally no one that matters takes her seriously

pls b8 harder
>>
>>8218440
name 3 respectable people in philosophy or literature who take her seriously
>>
>>8215169
One of them wrote fantastical bullshit which achieved a minor cult following among retards. The other founded Scientology.
>>
File: 1466828619841.jpg (94 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1466828619841.jpg
94 KB, 800x600
ppl like Hayek and Rand et al. are just so laughably terrible that generally anyone who has read anything will just ignore them. But, sometimes we like to have a good laugh at the dumb fucking normies into that shit so we fire off some fucking shots for a laugh.
>>
>>8218727
>literally trying this hard to denounce F.A. Hayek

Please stick with Das Kapital, pleb.
>>
>>8218440
Alan Greenspan pls go
>>
>>8218770
Please tell us how a libertarian, global free-market is more likely to happen than a global NWO, I'm sure you'll convince many of us.
>>
>>8216473
B&
>>
>>8218727
Hayek's sociology is pretty great
>>
File: Ddddddddddd_8302c3_5860222.jpg (25 KB, 339x422) Image search: [Google]
Ddddddddddd_8302c3_5860222.jpg
25 KB, 339x422
>>8214576
Always
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.