[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This has to be the single most enjoyable piece of ancient work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: 9780199540266.jpg (17 KB, 180x274) Image search: [Google]
9780199540266.jpg
17 KB, 180x274
This has to be the single most enjoyable piece of ancient work that I've read. Pure style.
When I was younger I didn't appreciate it as much and thought it was rather boring, but after re-reading it in Latin I must say nearly every paragraph is precious in it own way.

>that badass yet careful diplomacy
>that actually surprisingly civilized Roman mindset, as opposed to 'decadence' of some imperial courts we're learned to imagine for some reason and apply to ALL of Rome
>those nearly ruthless tactics and their common acceptence because of realization of their necessity
>that absolute devotion to higher ideals
>almost divine status of Caesar even during his lifetime

His writing style is well fit for such work. He writes like a real man, if that makes sense. No bullshit, yet no lacking simplicity. It reads almost like a report, but one that is extremely interesting so it doesn't feel like it. Too bad he went off the rails later in his life, he had none of those cincinnatean Republican ideals. Or perhaps times changed over the century with all the powerful individuals, but nonetheless.
>>
the man was a brute, stop fetishizing him
>>
File: king.jpg (37 KB, 570x408) Image search: [Google]
king.jpg
37 KB, 570x408
>>8210787
Yes, yes, Caesar, you've won the war, people favor you
>HOWEVER
>>
Is his other stuff equally good?
>>
>>8210773
>No bullshit
Sick and dying Romans able to build towers over the course of a single sleepless night, men then completely energized to fight the next day.
>Reads like a report
Historically backed genocide of the Gauls never given explicit detail. What ever did happen to the Gallic babies and women?
>Roman mindset
otherwise known as Caesar boasting about the superiority of Rome in every conceivable way as the paragon of civilization.

This book was the first Mein Kampf
>>
>>8210773
[witty comment involving corn]
>>
File: nabby.jpg (94 KB, 1024x678) Image search: [Google]
nabby.jpg
94 KB, 1024x678
>>8210773
a mere corncobby chronicle
>>
>liking Caesar's propaganda material for the senate
Come on man, though the section on german wildlife was one of the most hilarious text I have read.
>>
>>8211684
Doesn't make it less good though.
>>
Is there an annotated edition of this that clarifies what bits we know to be true/propaganda bullshit?
>>
File: 9781502941299.jpg (18 KB, 280x400) Image search: [Google]
9781502941299.jpg
18 KB, 280x400
>>8210773
Not to mention Livy and Polybius.
>>
>>8213451

>12 years of everyone who isn't Alexander getting btfo

Arrian is pure gold
>>
>>8213474
Its the little critical touches that make the work
>>
>>8211684
Cringe.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.