[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone else here taken the Popper pill? >enjoy the systematic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 310x363) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 310x363
Has anyone else here taken the Popper pill?
>enjoy the systematic dismantling of Plato, Hegel, Marx
>in turn given a nihilistic philosophy of liberalism and scientism

Why live, /lit/? No higher purpose. No higher truth. Just democratic checks on power, and the scientific method to rationalize away what Karl calls 'mysticism'. Pure nihilism.
>>
File: 1459628389442.gif (266 KB, 250x189) Image search: [Google]
1459628389442.gif
266 KB, 250x189
>people read Popper's political philosophy

any person who just has an axe to grind against other philosophers and doesn't have a full theoretical structure to support it is bound to come across as nihilism.
>>
>>8208708
Popper makes all of your theoretical structures look like.... Spooks, if you will. But popperian spooks. Since Popper is just replacing the big Other with the scientific method itself, even in political philosophy, but there's something about it that feels so... true.
>>
>>8208712
>Since Popper is just replacing the big Other with the scientific method itself, even in political philosophy, but there's something about it that feels so... true
buddy read Feyerabend and Kuhn. don't fall for "scientific method" justifying political philosophy when he doesn't even know what the fuck that is. Scientific method is a spook and applying it to politics in the way popper does is the spookiest of spooks.
>>
>>8208717
Thanks bruv. I'm familiar with Feyerabend (secondary sources) and diving into his work sounds like the next step in my progression after Popper.

I've been reading more high theory works the past few years, but Poppers simplicity kinda blasted away a lot of the shit that writers like Deleuze try and make sound revolutionary. Hell, even Popper's explanation of ideology makes it sound like Zizek literally thought of nothing new (shouldn't be so surprised).
>>
>>8208702
i don't know why nihilism is such an issue for people.
if you forget the abstract, you will see that the only thing you have, and the only thing that affects "you" is your brain.
so, now you know what you have to work with, and you know that you have an expiration date.
so you have two choices, one is achieve positive stimulation until you expire, or achieve negative stimulation.
the choice is yours.
>>
>>8208702
Popper was the literal cuck
>had open relationship with his wife
>after his wife hat two children with another man, he suddenly realised that open relationship isn't that good, and thus divorced
An ironic metaphor for an open society he describes. It looks good until we actually live in one.
>>
Didn't Wittgenstein get BTFO'd by Popper to the point where Witty tried to stab Popper with a pole?
>>
>>8209073
He tried to pop Popper with a poopy popping pole.
>>
>>8208702
>Why live, /lit/? No higher purpose. No higher truth. Just democratic checks on power, and the scientific method to rationalize away what Karl calls 'mysticism'. Pure nihilism.
And you attribute this to Popper.
>>
File: popper.jpg (61 KB, 460x335) Image search: [Google]
popper.jpg
61 KB, 460x335
>>8209077
>>
>>8208702

Nihilism is merely a spook.
>>
>>8208733
>Hell, even Popper's explanation of ideology makes it sound like Zizek literally thought of nothing new
well, thats because literally dozens of writers have already done the exact same thing, long before him
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.