[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Poetry Thread (Book Edition)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 21
File: Rainer_Maria_Rilke,_1900.jpg (25 KB, 300x480) Image search: [Google]
Rainer_Maria_Rilke,_1900.jpg
25 KB, 300x480
Alright everyone, show off your poetry collection and gives recs, talk about favorite poets, and just chill in general.
>>
My favorite poet is either Keats or Yeats.
>>
File: 1.jpg (1003 KB, 2092x3718) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1003 KB, 2092x3718
1/3
>>
File: 2.jpg (990 KB, 2092x3718) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
990 KB, 2092x3718
>>8208662
2/3
>>
File: 3.jpg (773 KB, 1793x3187) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
773 KB, 1793x3187
>>8208664
3/3
>>
>>8208657
Keats and Yeats are on your side while Wilde is on mine.
>>
bump, i know some of you like poetry
>>
>>8208657
Should have added the Beats and you'd have had a nice little -eats trilogy.
>>
File: 20160604_203239.jpg (2 MB, 2880x2160) Image search: [Google]
20160604_203239.jpg
2 MB, 2880x2160
>>
>>8208864
They're all a bunch of cheats though.
>>
Who is the best translator for rilke (and is there a version that have both the translated and original version)?
And what should i get (read: edition of LoG) from Withman? I heard his later works are really lacking.
>>
File: a3094487461_10.jpg (95 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
a3094487461_10.jpg
95 KB, 720x720
A Broken Appointment
Related Poem Content Details
By Thomas Hardy
You did not come,
And marching Time drew on, and wore me numb,—
Yet less for loss of your dear presence there
Than that I thus found lacking in your make
That high compassion which can overbear
Reluctance for pure lovingkindness’ sake
Grieved I, when, as the hope-hour stroked its sum,
You did not come.

You love not me,
And love alone can lend you loyalty;
–I know and knew it. But, unto the store
Of human deeds divine in all but name,
Was it not worth a little hour or more
To add yet this: Once you, a woman, came
To soothe a time-torn man; even though it be
You love not me?
>>
File: 1459710255208.jpg (256 KB, 1080x1283) Image search: [Google]
1459710255208.jpg
256 KB, 1080x1283
>>8208664
>translated by Michael Hamburger
>>
Poetry collection is scattered atm -- in totes and random shelves

Reading: Thomas McGrath, Charles Wright, and Gerard Manley Hopkins

>>8208662
Kudos for Roethke, Thomas, Whitman, and Rilke
>>
S'en aller! S'en aller! Parole de vivants!
>>
>>8208864
They're really not good, though, and Keats and Yeats don't rhyme anyway
>>
>>8208662
>>8208664
>>8208666
Bad taste in poems from the past ~50 years
>>
>>8209302
name some
>>
I'm new to poetry but have recently read collections from Housman, Blake, Kipling, and Yeats. I enjoyed all of which; Housman had tremendous poignance, Blake was visionary, Kipling had great rhythm and command of vernacular, and Yeats had simply some of the most beautiful language I've ever read, even if I only understood a fraction of it. Anyone have a particular poet and collection I should move onto next?
>>
>>8209456
Louis McNeice
Alfred Tennyson
>>
>>8208654
By order of preference:

Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Villon, Hugo, Chénier, Nerval, Verlaine, Corbière, Musset, Ronsard, Du Bellay, Malherbe, Vigny, Leconte de Lisle, Apollinaire, Aubigné, Mallarmé, Valéry.

Add Lautréamont (and no one else) for prose poetry. Didn't include Marot and some others I don't know that much; didn't include Racine, Corneille and other tragedy makers either.
>>
>>8208662
>>8208664
>>8208666
Great collection.
>>
>>8209007
Why so you have do many editions of the divin comedy?
>>
>>8209456
After yeats go to Berryman. I always felt him to be a more morose and modern years without the Irish affections and obsession with magic
>>
>>8210282
It's time for you to embrace the 20th century, man. Il est temps.
>>
>>8210282
Can you link me a decent translation of the testament by Villon all the translations I've read suck
>>
>>8210282
>Add Lautréamont (and no one else) for prose poetry
Éluard? Michaux? Perse? Claudel?
>>
>>8211345
Char?
>>
File: 1466987588954-917513130.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
1466987588954-917513130.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
>>
>>8208662
>>8208664
>>8208666
Wonderful collection anon, you're a man after my own heart. I'll recommend Stevens, since I'm quite unsure as to why you don't have him already. You might like Auden as well.
>>
How do I into poetry? I've read Homer and appreciated it immensely. But I have a compilation of Milton and Whitman that I've been too daunted to pursue
>>
Off the top of my head (my books are scattered and not at hand right now, so no picture):

Eliot, Pound, Yeats, Crane, Stevens, Merwin, Williams, Rilke, Montale, Leopardi, Ashbery, Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Swinburne, Brodsky, Whitman, Lorca, Valery, Blake, Keats

>>8211400
Well, you started in the right place. If you really want to be a completist, then by all means read it chronologically to follow the chain of influence and reference. But good poetry is enjoyable even without full context, so really start with whatever looks enjoyable (it's probably a bad idea to read Paradise Lost without being decently familiar with basic Christian mythology though).
>>
>>8209163
I love Hardy
>>
>>8211358
Nice collection. I would love to find an ebook of Bloom's anthology, it looks so good.
>>
I write poetry, but I want to become better aquatinted with more poems and poets. Among my favorites are E.A. Poe, Sylvia Plath, Cummings, Frost and Tennyson.
>>
File: rosytwistedstalk.png (593 KB, 720x686) Image search: [Google]
rosytwistedstalk.png
593 KB, 720x686
>>8209112
Joseph Cadora's translation of New Poems is the single best work of translation I've ever read.
>>
Which would be good channels on YT for poetry and it's authors? You know, like recorded college classes and such.

I'd love to watch this kind of stuff online, but I don't know what to search for since I'm Brazilian.
>>
What is the best intro book that provides an overview of poetry (history, types of poems, critical interpretation, etc.).
>>
>>8212125
The Yale open course videos are good for courses and spokenverse is good for readings of poems.
>>
>>8212223
Poetic designs by Stephen Adams is a great books for the first two but doesn't have critical analysis. I don't know of any book that has both.
>>
>>8212808
And do you know any that's strong on analysis (you know, more than footnotes once in a while)?
>>
I don't understand the dislike for Ginsberg, can somebody explain what you don't like about him? Is it that he is popular?
>>
>>8212980
I've only seen them for individual poems not a general guide. I don't know if there can even be a general guide since poetry is so vast. I suggest just reading lots of poetry and practice. You don't read a poem the same way you read a novel.
Maybe learning about different rhetorical techniques and how/why they are used could improve your understanding. A great book for this is classical rhetoric for the modern student by Corbett.
>>
>>8211339
I'm only asking asking because I'm new to it. Wouldn't it be "il est du temps"?
>>
File: 1437477319586.jpg (224 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
1437477319586.jpg
224 KB, 1252x1252
Here is a test for you alleged Literarians.

Give a short and to the point poem regarding the love a man has for a good woman that is not pretencious or try-hard. It can be self written or a work of another author.

Go.
>>
>>8213157
How about you give us a challenge that you're not obviously going to use a no-true-scotsman response to regardless of what you're shown?
>>
>>8213160
>>8213160
I am actually baiting to see if some one can come up with something unique and over used so I can write it in her birthday card. I am not literarily skilled or a good writer unfortunately.
>>
>>8213167
Tell her how you feel. Say it plainly. Make it crisp and fresh. You don't need to hand her a bouquet in a card.
>>
File: 1408543297950.png (29 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1408543297950.png
29 KB, 633x758
>>8213184
I don't know how I feel.
>>
>>8213191
>I can't explain how I feel, but my dick can.
Alternatively use lips instead if dick, and kiss her as she reads it.
>>
>>8213157
Poem is titled "1952-1977" by Philip Larkin

In times when nothing stood
but worsened, or grew strange,
there was one constant good:
she did not change.
>>
>>8213258
>In times when nothing stood
>but worsened, or grew strange,
>there was one constant good:
>she did not change.

I like it.
>>
File: Paradise Lost.jpg (834 KB, 1322x2395) Image search: [Google]
Paradise Lost.jpg
834 KB, 1322x2395
>>8212752
I'm starting to read Paradise Lost and they have a complete course on Milton, simply amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2103FD9F9D0615B7

That was a great tip, thanks a lot man.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 750x1189) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 750x1189
>>8213157
René Char.
>>
>>8213755
We are English.
>>
>>8213597

Paradise Lost is an amazing book, I hope you enjoy it.
>>
I have the complete poetry of T.S. Eliot and I feel like a moron for not understanding anything besides Prufrock.
>>
>>8208662
>Bunting

You beauty.
>>
Asides Sandover, what would people recommended for James Merrill?
>>
>>8213773
"Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood." - T.S. Eliot

Eliot is my favorite poet (solely on the merit of his longer, more serious works, most of his short, satirical poems do nothing for me), and I'm far from insightful or intelligent. Read poetry for the feeling of it, not for understanding.

>>8213777
I've read a bit of his stuff, not sure how I feel about him though. Any recs of what you think is his best work?
>>
File: IMG_1652.jpg (84 KB, 667x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1652.jpg
84 KB, 667x960
>>8213157
>>8213167
>>8213191

Here is my attempt at writing poetry to add into my GFs birthday card that is for the 1st July. I don't claim to be good or even educated in the matter beyond GCSE English in the subject, but neither is she.

What do you make of the following:

When I search the depths of my heart,
for non but me to see,
what was discover deep within,
is my love for you with me.

The heart within my chest,
is bound by lock and key,
yet this is no cause for lament,
Nor worry or torment.

For it is a promise of consent,
eminating a candesant aura,
which can only be my love for you,
my beautiful and beloved,
Laura.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Amendments? Advice?
>>
>>8213790
If you gf is worth a shit, she'll appreciate the effort and not care if it's perfect. What matters is the sentiment, anon, no need to overthink it.
>>
>>8213773
Have you read the Ariel poems? They are pretty straight forward.
Also, consider his life for context of the poems. For example, ash Wednesday was written after his conversion to Anglicanism. The poem deals with the new faith and the struggle with his identity with within that context. How does he reconcile his poetry and faith?
In the four quartets he finally comes to a kind of serene acceptance of himself and his faith.
Everything prior to ash Wednesday has similar themes to prufrock. Isolation, dry, despair, loneliness, etc. This is seen most clearly in the hollow men. In the wasteland there is hope for redemption, but none can be seen in the hollow men.

Imo after writing the hollow men Eliot either had to change his outlook or kill himself, because it was so bleak.
>>
File: IMG_2055.jpg (358 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2055.jpg
358 KB, 640x1136
>>8213794
That is why I want to put effort into it because she will appreciate it and cherish it, she keeps cards from years ago and re-reads them occasionally. I want to make sure the lay out is in good form and it actually makes sense.
>>
>>8213798
I've read them now, and they were easier. I think placing feeling over making sense of it helps a lot in reading them well. I know the story of his life around the time of The Wasteland, though I haven't heard about The Hollow Men. I really did not see anything hopeful in The Wasteland, though.

>>8213787
That's very helpful advice.
>>
>>8213835
The hopefulness comes from the suggestion that he hopes to be able to weather the storm: "These fragments I have shored against my ruins" and "Shantih. Shantih. Shantih." both imply a sort of bittersweet resignation that, while the world will probably end up going to shit, he might be able to preserve some "fragments" of himself.
>>
>>8213835
One of the main reoccurring motifs in the poem is lust and sex without love. Another is forgetting religious dogmas in favor of worldly pleasures.
"The fire sermon" was preached by the buddah against the fires of lust and other passions that prevent their regeneration. This theme is seen in both eastern and western philosophy. That is, the path to redemption is through maintaining discipline and controlling lust.
In "what the thunder said" we see the Fisher king in an arid land contemplating whether he should sacrifice himself for his country - then rain would probably come. This, to me, seems to again show that if we are able to sacrifice and restrain ourselves we can hope to regain a beautiful world.

In short if we can revive morality, discipline and benevolence we can hope for redemption.
>>
>>8213850
>>8213906
Interesting, thanks for the clarification. I noticed that same theme of discipline in Ash Wednesday with how he seems to put the blame on himself.
>>
Guys please don't cringe at me. I'm new to poetry and so far I enjoy Ovid and the bible poetry because its easy to get into. but I've gotten that Harold Bloom best poetry book and the poems generally have way too many references that I'm not familiar with for me to fully appreciate them. So what do you guys recommend me to read in order to appreciate them, or alternatively, what entry level poetry do you think I'd appreciate more? Please be specific and not just "Greeks". Thank you
>>
>>8213787
Briggflats is definitive. Get the Bloodaxe edition with him reciting it and other dvd based goodies.
>>
>>8213960
If you want to understand every reference, get Harold Bloom's Western Canon and read the works listed in chronological order. Plus the Bible, obviously (or some summary or selection of its commonly referenced parts).
>>
>>8213960
Just read what you want, you will likely never get every reference. In most cases the reference or allusions adds to the poem, but doesn't make or break it. If a specific name or something comes up you can always look it up.
>>
>>8211997
It might be my favorite book. I've bought 5 of them. Two for me and 3 as gifts.
>>
>>8208662
>John Crowe Ransom
My nigger
>>
>>8209302
This tbqh
Needs some Wilbur, Heaney, and Ashbury
>>
>>8214550
Heaney is there.
>>
>>8214550
I've read some Ashbury, but didn't really like him. I admit I didn't really understand the poems though.
>>
Why do you retards keep misspelling Ashbery?
Also, it's not surprising you don't understand them, he's a poet writing for academia, total dogshit.
>>
I just bought the Norton anthology of poetry lads. What to expect?
>>
>>8214540
the fugitives are my favorites easily, warren, ransom, fletcher, tate

so damn good
>>
>>8211396
I honestly have a hard time understanding wallace stevens, i dabble every once in a while
>>
>>8214550
nigger I have heaney, i have a collected wilbur too just forgot to show it, and cannot enjoy ashbery
>>
>>8215001
its good, just find shit you like and ignore the rest pretty much
>>
Ὀρφεύς
>>
>>8213157
>>8213167
Honestly the best way to communicate your feelings for her is to write something yourself. Just be you. It's nice to get a well-written poem with finesse, but it's nicer to get something from the soul of the one giving it to you, as corny as it sounds. Like you said just make it non-try-hard-esque and to the point. It's the thought that counts.
>>
>>8209007
are you the pleb formerly known as axe?

if so, paul valery wrote a short play based on the tale of doctor faustus
>>
>>8214987
Thank you for demonstrating your complete ignorance. He's not writing for academia at all, look up his interview with the Paris Review.

Also, by disparaging people for a simple spelling error, you've shown yourself to be a hypocrite as well as an idiot. This is a nice thread, go somewhere else.
>>
>>8213790
>what was discover
do you even english?

>The heart within my chest,
is bound by lock and key,
yet this is no cause for lament,
Nor worry or torment.

cliche.

Don't write for women, shit never works out. If you know she'll think it's sweet then you could write about enemas and it would be fine. If she's more learned than you, then enjoy getting cucked the same day you give it to her.

You think I'm trolling but you're the one who posted pepe, search your heart, you know my words to be true.
>>
File: life-kissing-2.jpg (76 KB, 520x728) Image search: [Google]
life-kissing-2.jpg
76 KB, 520x728
Sweet beauty of yours
like heroin through my veins
Sweet words of love
like drums to the ear

By C.W Smith
Your arms like grace
awaiting an embrace
Your eyes like glass
holding water till a fracture
Your mouth so sweet
dancing on my lips in a sing
Your legs were worn
waiting for a rest from the floor
Your breast like money
cause theyre the first thing I notice
just joking about that part
Your sense of humor
very much superior
Your Intelligence
captivating and unjealous
Your cake so sweet
like cheeries on cream
See it isnt just that all these things
Will make everyone see what I see
It's that all these things
Are what mean the most to me
Were like atoms when we come together we are matter
And like matter we cant be destroyed
And like atoms we gas up and explode
into a beautiful secenery
And they'll take pictures
And they'll call it history
But to you and me
Its just a cornerpiece to our masterpiece painting
>>
>>8215204
I don't see how you can qualify that as ignorance.
Also one person did it, which made someone else do it. It's best to correct the mistake before even more people do so. I don't actually think these people are retarded, but, if you can't handle that tone on this board I suggest you go back from where you came from.
>>
>>8215133
thanks ill check it out
>>
>>8209007

can i have some of your money plz?
>>
>>8213783
>Asides Sandover, what would people recommended for James Merrill?
not really sure why you would start with that.

there's a collected poetry volume, it's good from the start, just start reading through it
>>
>>8213960
references don't mean anything on their own. if you are hell-bent on starting with older poetry, just start with donne, merrill, or shakespeare's sonnets. otherwise look around at contemporary poetry that has won prizes. ashbery may be a little bit too out there for you right now, but you could try siken or gluck
>>
>>8214987
ashbery is pretty good and i'm not really part of academia, although it's subjective i guess. not really sure how you could conclude that he's "total dogshit" though, a lot of what he did was pretty innovative in a more or less objective sense.
>>
>>8215001
idk a lot of stuff that you don't like, maybe a little that you do. just kind of pick and choose and move through it quickly. use it to find more poets/schools that you like
>>
>>8217397
A heard that ashbery won a poetry competition and later the judge (himself a well known poet) admitted he didn't understand the poem.
>>
>>8217406
ok
>>
>>8215546
terrible
>>
>>8217406
It was Auden, and it was a book of poetry, not a single poem. Doesn't matter though, in my opinion at least. As Eliot himself says (>>8213787), poetry isn't necessarily about understanding.
>>
>>8217541
"before understanding" implies there is something to understand. Do ashbery's poems have any meaning? I'm not saying they have to or that they are bad if they don't, but I don't think I'd get as much enjoyment if I didn't understand it even a little. And if auden didn't understand, I'm sure I wouldn't.
>>
>>8217552
I prefer to have some meaning too, but Ashbery's images are appealing and usually not too disjointed (except in some cases, such as "Leaving the Atocha Station", which I don't really like).
>>
>>8217567
Can you post one you do like?
>>
>>8217572
"And You Know" is my favorite so far, having only read his first collection, but I can't find a transcript online so here's another good one.

The Painter

Sitting between the sea and the buildings
He enjoyed painting the sea’s portrait.
But just as children imagine a prayer
Is merely silence, he expected his subject
To rush up the sand, and, seizing a brush,
Plaster its own portrait on the canvas.

So there was never any paint on his canvas
Until the people who lived in the buildings
Put him to work: “Try using the brush
As a means to an end. Select, for a portrait,
Something less angry and large, and more subject
To a painter’s moods, or, perhaps, to a prayer.”

How could he explain to them his prayer
That nature, not art, might usurp the canvas?
He chose his wife for a new subject,
Making her vast, like ruined buildings,
As if, forgetting itself, the portrait
Had expressed itself without a brush.

Slightly encouraged, he dipped his brush
In the sea, murmuring a heartfelt prayer:
“My soul, when I paint this next portrait
Let it be you who wrecks the canvas.”
The news spread like wildfire through the buildings:
He had gone back to the sea for his subject.

Imagine a painter crucified by his subject!
Too exhausted even to lift his brush,
He provoked some artists leaning from the buildings
To malicious mirth: “We haven’t a prayer
Now, of putting ourselves on canvas,
Or getting the sea to sit for a portrait!”

Others declared it a self-portrait.
Finally all indications of a subject
Began to fade, leaving the canvas
Perfectly white. He put down the brush.
At once a howl, that was also a prayer,
Arose from the overcrowded buildings.

They tossed him, the portrait, from the tallest of the buildings;
And the sea devoured the canvas and the brush
As though his subject had decided to remain a prayer.
>>
Ok, another pleb here. I want to become better acquainted with the history/highlights of poetry; learning about the notable poets of the world, literary periods, etc. Is there a book good for that info or web series or something of that nature?
>>
>>8217943

not memein, my high school literature book was great in doing this. maybe try something like that
>>
>>8217943
A couple anons in this thread have mentioned Bloom's anthology, he'll give you a pretty good highlight reel of what's been written in English. Don't know of a single book that gives a summary of everything though, sorry. If flowerfag shows up he'll probably have a rec for you, but idk if he posts here anymore.
>>
>>8217978
>>8218056
Thanks, anons
>>
>>8217943
the best you're going to get of an overview of poetry is an encyclopedia of poetry or a textbook.

i like Princeton's New Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics. Anything you could have a question about regarding poetry, it's in there. Problem is, you have to know what to look up if you're not just reading it front to back as there's a lot of niche information that beginners aren't going to give a shit about, and there's a lot of stuff even I don't give a shit about, and odds are you're not going to read it from front to back.
Good news is there's an ebook of it available on the internet, so you don't lose anything by trying it.

There are anthologies that start from the beginning of English poetry, ~1300 around Chaucer and progress through to the last 50 or so years, so if you'd be motivated to do so you can just read the poets and Google their period and read about it and what it was about, what was going on and so on. Bloom's collection features a little pre-knowledge in passages before each poet, he occasionally talks about the contemporary of the poet in them, so that could save you time.

Really there's no way around doing work.
>>
>>8217943
for recent works, check out the norton 21st century anthology.
>>
>>8218812
I'll definitely check out that Ebook as well as Bloom's Anthology. Have a lot of free time this summer and I don't mind reading. Thanks.
>>
>>8219195
there's more recommendations on this page

4chanlit.wikia.com/poetry
>>
>>8217418
Very very constructive
>>
>>8219475
"poopy"
>>
Vanitas! by Goethe

My thoughts 'n' oughts are nothing fixed
Hooray!
for Joy's the world that's downed unmixed
this way!
and all who'd be good mates of mine
to clink 'n' drink just suit me fine
for lees of life and wine!

I'd trained my trade on gold 'n' gain
Hooray!
but so I sold my joy for pain;
I say,
the coins were rolling here and there,
but every time I chased a where
the here was over there.

To women then I gave my heart
O belles!
but how those damsels made me smart
o hells!
The false were true to others, true,
but true ones bored me through and through;
the best ... were not for woo.

Next, I thought I ought to roam
Hooray!
but then I lost my ways of home,
that way,
and nothing seemed to suit me quite,
the board was bad, the bed a fright,
and no one got me right.

I tuned my dream to name and fame
Excel!
but better men put me to shame
O hell!
or when I gave some good I had
they made me out to be a cad;
my good was worse than bad.

I sought the right in battle might
Hooray!
and often was our might so right
(hooray!)
the enemy's land was ours to run;
but still the score was won to none,
and a leg became undone.

So now I call my calling nought
So what!
The world's all mine that comes unsought
that's what!
Now that it's song and sup all day,
come clink 'n' drink me all the way
these lees to the last hooray!
>>
File: princeton.jpg (23 KB, 318x457) Image search: [Google]
princeton.jpg
23 KB, 318x457
>>8218812
This Princeton ebook was a great tip. Thanks a lot, friend.

Here it is by the way: https://u.pomf.is/mpuyde.epub

>>8219195
Check this too.
>>
Since you've been gone I have your features
Fault lines in my face, now is your grave
The world seems to be no such thing,
Often ridiculed his stuff, but you will not find it interesting.

I want to break into my soul like a basement
Full of trees and fading summer diseases
Away from the wall, it is necessary
Rich cold marble parents.

I can not use my words caused operators
So to remind you not to prevent the fingers
He maintained close cultural debris rain
It is quietly replaced the hole my skin magmatic rocks.
After the riots,
Which for many and I
Banner is a strong spiritual life,
After that, we enter the cathedral
Here, we do not have,
In the canopy of nacre, have you seen from above.
And we, in a random spell
Romantic paintings no spirit, but what does it matter.
It takes time, and now we laugh,
I had to drive all night moveless,
And willpower,
While fully maintaining my integrity:
You will not otherwise accept.
We gave up on Neil Young and his harvest
This began the influx of cars,
Then, you destroy;
This makes me almost cry
Although I only remember you
Due to interference.
But now we can sit on the bed
In that room, we chose not thinking,
The closer the movie cliches
No soundtrack
Wuchanchangwai
Your projection distorted my vision
Climb geometric charm
Moreover, in the past, the morning comes, let die
Let me back here in the evening.
>>
I really like Cummings, Pound, and Villa. aany recs?

Also, posting some Villa:

In, my, undream, of, death,

I, unspoke, the, Word.
Since, nobody, had, dared,
With, my, own, breath,
I, broke, the, cord!
>>
>>8222000
thanks pal, this is very good
>>
File: westernfoamflower2.jpg (183 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
westernfoamflower2.jpg
183 KB, 640x480
>>8218056
>but idk if he posts here anymore.
i quit for like 7-8 months for various reasons. i browse in spare time now

>>8222000
>>8219195
no problemo amigos

>>8223889
>Cummings, Pound, Villa
what do you like about them, specifically? guess you could try Hart Crane my one beloved, H.D aka Hilda Doolittle, a friend of and whom found influence in and from Pound. If for some reason you haven't already, there's Wallace Stevens too.
>>
>>8213767
It's not our problem you're monolingual.
>>
>>8222000
I have the New Encyclopedia on hand. I would also recommend reading both in conjunction, as there are entries that can be found in either one of the publications.
>>
>>8208664
>>8208666
How does Cadora's Rilke compare to Mitchell's? Worth the extra dough?
>>
"Of melting marvels extent of resin in matrices,
sintered of pliant modesty of the amoral in roundness.
the revel of transmute grotesque as to the pinging to a kylix,
as processions of series, the vertex of the modal feral.

As the facula of such bright streams e'er shows
the scope of tensile instance in ensemble replete joy,
across the auspicious changing slopes of functional manner.
arbitrary in filaments of linking endpoints in debris.

The partite that reserves longevity in compounds through melodies
as of the hearten merits sung in a den of zamia,
as the yed of lament that souse of the garment,
as in orbit absorbs and reflects in windward differences.

As the Ilex that brings together wonderfully facilitated salutary
in low hardened stones of reminiscence in the plain."

-Cirak Mateos Tesfazgi, Redact Sachet, A book of poems. Published in the year 2013.
>>
File: 1466611570041.jpg (239 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1466611570041.jpg
239 KB, 800x800
maybe somebody can help me...

I'm looking for a collection of poetry dealing with childhood/early teens, seen in more of an optimistic light than a nostalgic/pessimistic. Any ideas, recs? Something that captures the magic of being a kid, the fondness of those times. Help.
>>
>>8225128
i know of H.D. but haven't read anything that interests me in particular. any specifics?

i like weird form and compact words most of all in poems. i dont care much about rhyme or imagery
>>
File: k1749.gif (58 KB, 300x448) Image search: [Google]
k1749.gif
58 KB, 300x448
>>8225199
Is this the one you have?

If yes, isn't this just an older edition?
>>
>>8225716
Well, it does include a complete translation of New Poems which the Mitchell translation only includes like 10. If you like Rilke it is definitely worth it.
>>
>>8225716
>>8212118
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.