[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he the new meme author? I just picked up Conspiracy Against
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: thomas-ligotti.jpg (205 KB, 1000x841) Image search: [Google]
thomas-ligotti.jpg
205 KB, 1000x841
Is he the new meme author? I just picked up Conspiracy Against the Human Race and I'm a few chapters in.

So basically everything we do is for external affirmation, otherwise life is pointless?
>>
And what's the deal with Cioran? What are his essential works?
>>
is there a small subset of teenagers who post this shit every day or did people actually fall for the linkin park-core meme
>>
Ligotti's been big here since True Detective season 1 when Pizza plagiarized him and name-dropped ad nauseum because he thought that made it ok. His fiction is better than his antinatalism

Cioran is better, read A Short History of Decay and The Trouble With Being Born, and continue from there if you like him
>>
>>8207815
Quotes from The Trouble with Being Born:

"Sometimes I wish I were a cannibal- less for the pleasure of eating someone than for the pleasure of vomiting him."

"Philosophy in the Morgue. 'My nephew was obviously a failure. If he succeeded in making something of himself he would have had a different ending than... this.' 'You know, Madame,' I replied to the monumental matron who had addressed me, 'whether one succeeds or not comes down to the same thing.' 'You're right,' she said, after a few seconds' thought. This unexpected acquiescence on the part of such a woman moved me almost as much as the death of my friend."

"If disgust for the world conferred sanctity of itself, I fail to see how I could avoid canonization."

really makes u think
>>
>>8207839
eh, this type of writing seems more silly and edgy when taken out of context and put into goodreads-sized text bytes. Cioran can get a bit melodramatic sometimes, but I think he's fun to read overall
>>
>>8207876
Those are his aphorisms in their entirety.
>>
>>8207922
yes, but Cioran tends to group his aphorisms into thematically similar 'bundles' in his books, which helps get me onto his wavelength more than just reading them isolated
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.