[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you need to college to study literature to become a genius
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4
File: 1465304965220.jpg (66 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1465304965220.jpg
66 KB, 657x527
Do you need to college to study literature to become a genius writer?

What the fuck do you study in a literature major?

Sound like basically doing history of literature courses.
>>
File: qwer.jpg (292 KB, 1611x906) Image search: [Google]
qwer.jpg
292 KB, 1611x906
>>8204699
You don't need to do anything but write to be a writer. You certainly don't need to go any specific school.
Literature majors study literature. They read lots and lots of books and texts, often important ones, and get some critical insight to them from lectures and assignments. This all seems fairly straightforward.
>>
>>8204699
>Do you need to college to study literature to become a genius writer?
No, but it helps

>What the fuck do you study in a literature major?
literature, and the composition and history of it.
>>
>>8204730
do they learn how to write or that is basically creative writing courses and workshops?
>>
File: vampchest1.jpg (433 KB, 700x559) Image search: [Google]
vampchest1.jpg
433 KB, 700x559
>>8204736
Creative writing workshops and courses may help some people improve their writing (though I suspect the exercise and being forced to write-on-demand is the most valuable part of it, just as being forced to read classics in x number of weeks for credit is the best part about literature courses vs. reading on your own). But no, in normal literature stream courses, creative writing and how to do it are not discussed except in very rare little assignments. I got through my PhD having only written a few short stories, some imitation old poem forms (sonnet, skeltonic), and a one-act play. 99% of my work was analytical.
>>
>>8204746
To clarify, that was all the creative stuff in ALL my degrees (BA, MA, PhD) leading to the doctorate, not just in the PhD.
>>
get this frog out of /lit/
>>
>>8204758
There're about 7 frog threads at this moment.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.