[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone read Donna Tartt - The Secret History? I did today,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1464842072870.jpg (3 MB, 5024x3349) Image search: [Google]
1464842072870.jpg
3 MB, 5024x3349
Anyone read Donna Tartt - The Secret History?

I did today, boy does that bitch stretch the narrative or what. As soon as the funeral starts (and goes on) the book goes to shit. Literally 50 percent longer than it should be. And aren't the characters shitty and not only because of their characterization.

What did you think?
>>
Some walrus-like visibly-SJW girl in my lit 101 class a couple years ago said The Goldfinch was her favourite book, so I just assumed Donna Tart was trash immediately.
>>
I thought the whole part with them at the house was one of the best parts, fucked up
the rest does drag and become a mess but I also was craving the kind of over-doing it too much detail ending when I first read it
the closeted guy's descent into alcoholism (and the guy twin? I forget) was the worst part, and there only being two (barely there) girl chracters
>>
>>8201636
See, that's the point, Pulitzer used to denote really good lit so I have to check it out. She is good at descriptive language in SH but character motivations, depth, plotting, convos... all generic bestseller crap.

>>8201644
The book took a nosedive as soon the funeral preparations started, even during the whole search, I was incredulous towards the end.
>>
>>8201628
I read it some time ago, I cannot pin point exactly the moments of the funeral. But I did like the book more after the first half. The first part was interesting, but they all the while towards the discovery of the body felt dragged on. I found the aftermath and how the characters dealt with it more interesting that the first half of the book.

I still think it's a very enjoyable read.
>>
>>8201628
Made a thread about Donna Tartt 3 or 4 days ago.

I absolutely agree with you, The Secret History is 40-50% too long. The first part was enchanting, the second part crumbled like it had no purpose.

Reminds you of these TV series with an excellent first season... then they don't know what to do because the main problem was "solved" in season 1, so they just go random in season 2.

Style is superb, conversation is lively, characters are good but lack depth (they sound like anime characters), plot is mediocre.

So, interesting book overall: it was a nice experience, but so long I'll never ever reread that novel.
>>
Thought the near final scene with everybody in the hotel room was cool. The first half until after the funeral is great. Kind of forget what happens after besides the hotel scene and when three of them meet up near the end.
Book is B+. Goldfinch is worth reading for sure. Long but very well written and a couple very memorable characters
>>
>>8202228
The Little Friend was a disaster though.
>>
>>8202201
>characters are good but lack depth (they sound like anime characters)

I think she tried to make them into dreamers but it backfired into stereotypes. I haven't read Proust yet but she was probably aping his style.
>>
>>8202980
You'd better start Proust today, because I see no connection whatsoever.
>>
>>8201810
>Pulitzer used to denote really good lit
>>
>>8203125
Yeah, Pulitzer prize winners are usually top notch books.

>>8203119
I thought that some paragraphs from the first part dealing with isolation and memory were reflections on a preface I read about Proust and towards the end the narrator spends his summer reading him.
>>
Completely disagree, OP. By the time the funeral bit started I was feeling sad that the book would eventually end. It was the best book I had read for ages and it really makes lolsorandum pomo trash look like shit
>>
>>8203128
>Pulitzer prize winners are usually top notch books
>>
>>8203202
What are the last 10 books you read? Or something like that.
>>
Drags a lot. Would probably work best as a 300 episode long Yaoi anime with an 80s soundtrack.
>>
>>8203227

Lol, it was compared to anime when I was reading and posting about it and I think I might've independently done it as well. I definitely realised it shared the main aspect of anime: pandering to the reader's fantasies (e.g. artistic milieu in idyllic college)
>>
>>8203606
>>8203227
Anime is really good comparison to how vapid those characters are.

It does pander but I think the pandering backfires rather fast. What I found especially irritating was her method of keeping reader's attention

>I looked from the window at 2am and there they were, magical girl panzer und spiky mcspikyface, arguing. I could not discern what they said

or

>I asked him to tell me what was panzer girl mad about. "All in due time, beta mcreddit" he answered, taking a sip of Chateau Latour, "all in due time. The begonias are quite lovely this time of year, are they not?"
>>
>>8204602

But they're so lovably quaint, just like my favourite japanimation shota heikakutachi senpai!

Would you rather be rading Kazarashnokov contemplating the objectivity of God's left toe on the Russian steppe?
>>
>>8204617
>Would you rather be rading Kazarashnokov contemplating the objectivity of God's left toe on the Russian steppe?

When you put it that way it sounds like this Kazarashnokov guy is the newest member of Professor's Magical Classicist Crew.

I honestly thought Julian was being prepped into some sort of Manson character
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.