[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, quick question. Say a book is written and its setting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1439633771780.jpg (177 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1439633771780.jpg
177 KB, 1280x853
Hey /lit/, quick question.

Say a book is written and its setting is a real life town/city. How much about the city has to be omitted to avoid legal issues? Does it matter? Or like, can everything be used freely like street names, high schools, landmarks and the like?
>>
none. as little or as much as you want there are no (legal) obligations
>>
Just don't slander anyone and it's fine.
>>
>>8200009
>>8200011
Oh alright, cool. Would you even recommend using a real city? In the unlikely event that my shit is published or even finished, the last thing I would want is a small town becoming some sort of tourist trap.
>>
>>8200015
You could use the real city to visualise it but use place names from a mix of other cities. That said, re-read your post and consider how fucking ridiculous it sounds.
>>
>>8200021
Happened to Forks, breh.
>>
>>8200026
That argument makes you sound no less utterly fucking deluded. Breh.
>>
>>8200044
I don't mean to inflate my importance or anything, but I literally live in a tourist city where thousands of people move to every year. If someone were to write a shitty book about my town that increased the yearly traffic by even one person, it would suck.
>>
>>8200026
Even if you are published, there is a miniscule chance that you'll be that successful.
But, since it sounds like you haven't even started yet, you don't even have a manuscript to start racking up rejections.
>>
>>8200006
Places themselves don't matter unless they're private clubs that might complain or something. It's mostly people and events that you have to watch out for.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.