[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there some good fiction set in Ancient Rome? i mean not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
is there some good fiction set in Ancient Rome?

i mean not this senatus kind of shit where everything is clean, white marble, and patricians are speaking like they are in a TV series. I want to feel the filth of the roman paved streets, the crowded colorful buildings, the plebs and thieves, the scent of the slaves, etc. something very realistic and filled with good historical details about everyday life

tl;dr : i want Dostoïevski in Ancient Rome

Can you recommend me some books?
>>
you want the satyricon m8
>>
>>8194579
i might. is there anything more recent?
>>
>>8194554
You can try the works of Sinkiewicz
>>
I, Claudius by Graves
Julian by Gore Vidal
Memoirs of Hadrian by Yourencar

You should also read Gene Wolfe's Latrobe in the Mist just because
>>
>>8194554
Augustus by John Williams is set in ancient Rome. Haven't read it but if Stoner's anything to judge by it's probably at least great.
>>
>>8195139
This, also Count Belisarius

>>8194912
Quo Vadis is pretty /lit/
>>
>>8194554
The gladiators Arthur koestler
>>
OP here. thanks all for the recs

the novels you put forward are all set in ancient rome but most of them seem to be centered on roman aristocracy or upper class.

is there a book where the protagonist is just a modest plebeian or something?
>>
>>8195551
The Marcus Didius Falco books are well-beloved but not really literary.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.