[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on Slaughterhouse-Five? Always thought it was a bit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: slaughterhouse-five.jpg (39 KB, 948x1451) Image search: [Google]
slaughterhouse-five.jpg
39 KB, 948x1451
Opinions on Slaughterhouse-Five? Always thought it was a bit overrated desu and don't see why it's the classic that it is
>>
>>8190898
Just started reading it. What am I in for?
>>
>>8190921
It's a very strange book. It's kind of hard to follow because Vonnegut keeps jumping around and time traveling and messing with the plotline. It's all over the place, really

It's alright but I don't see why it's a classic
>>
>>8190898
I thought it was ok and the whole think of everything alive and dead ideology kind of dumb. I also didn't like the style of writing, but over all i still thought it was a good book.
>>
It's extremely good. People pretend it's overrated to be edgy.
>>
>>8190941
I really don't see what you see in the book, and I'm not trying to be edgy or purposely contrarian. What do you think is great about the book?
>>
>>8190925
Welcome to postmodern lit 101. It is overrated, but that's only because most people are retards who can't get through books like Gravity's Rainbow or The Cannibal which deal with much of the same subject matter in a more complex way.
>>
>>8190930
I'm not saying it's bad, it's alright, I just don't see why it's so hyped
>>
I started with Vonnegut, like so many do, and read all of his novels, but saved Slaughterhouse-Five for last. I didn't think it was great, one of my least favorites of his actually, but it was a decent entry into postmodern literature and pretty enjoyable overall. I like the atomic age themes in his writing and his eccentric characters who are always verging on nervous breakdown, mid-life crisis or schizophrenia.

I think it is popular because it's anti-war novel (political novels seem to always get a guaranteed minimum following because I guess people have strong opinions n shit), and because, like I said, it's an accessible, light postmodern novel to begin your journey into this type of literature, although it's probably where a lot of people stop reading.
>>
shit book dresden deserved better and it reeks of stemfag autism
>>
>>8191182
nice analysis
>>
I enjoyed it but I'm extremely new to /lit/.

I can see the Anti-War themes but the parts that stick to me the most are the time travel bits.
Essentially the idea that every moment is occurring at once, a fourth dimension idea.

A decent book for tricking yourself into death being insurmountable.
>>
>>8190898
I liked the style of writing and Kurts way of being very personal with the reader, but I couldnt get over what I saw was hints of arrogance (portraying to his ideas) and flawed reasoning. Although his point on how pointless it is to try to stop the future was heard, it doesnt mean it was right (he claims this with is alien time logic that time isnt linear, which is bullshit seeing as you have to do something to cause something. His lack of interventionist ideas is appauling and selfish as well as ironic since hes basically a communist.

I will give him credit for his simple and personal writing, but ill take it back for his lack fully fledged ideas, flawed reasonings, and fake foundations (dresden was only 25,000 deaths, not over 100,000 and complete desimation).
>>
It has no redeeming qualities. So it goes XD gets old after a couple of times
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.