[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Socratic dialogue recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: plato.jpg (53 KB, 372x518) Image search: [Google]
plato.jpg
53 KB, 372x518
What are your favorite Socratic dialogue texts and why?
I recently got my hand on some film equipment and as exercise I thought it would be neat to adapt a scene stemming from this tradition.
>>
>>8186207
well, the trial of socrates is kinda shit (sorry plato), symposium is actually pretty good, meno and phaedro are godly. the republic is an achievement of humankind however. laws is long and pretty abridgeable tbqhf. ps i read all of them years ago but cant remember all of them.
>>
>>8186865
Did you mean phaedrus or phaedo? Cause the phaedrus is sublime.
>>
For adapting a scene from Plato, I would go with the part in Theaetetus where Socrates explains his "midwife of the soul" concept. I've always loved that part of the dialogue and the back-and-forth that goes on there.

I'm biased towards Theaetetus, as I spent a lot of time working with it, but Phaedrus is also good, as anons said above. However, I can't recall a specific passage that might be good.
>>
My fav dialogue is Parminedes, partly because of its immense interpretive depth and it switches Socrates' position as the maieutic interloculotr with Parminedes (who Plato fanboy'd, and I do as well). Not sure what scene would be good for film...
also this
>>8188125
>>
File: Phaedrus.jpg (19 KB, 532x152) Image search: [Google]
Phaedrus.jpg
19 KB, 532x152
>>8186207
>>
You should check these out anon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al9u1lal6KY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6y7_0KuT5E
>>
>>8190071
These are great, thank you!
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.