[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is importanter, philosophy or literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
What is importanter, philosophy or literature?
>>
>>8184371
>importanter
>>
>>8184371
It's acutally "more important," not "importanter."

One of the many oddities of the English language!

Edit: Thank you for the gold, my good sirs (and madams)!
Edit 2: RIP inbox!!
>>
I appreciate your rhyme scheme, OP.
>>
>>8184415
Delete this.
>>
>>8184371
Plato was actually a Mißgeburt.

>>8184415
this guy too
>>
Philosophy and literature are only important unto themselves. Both consider themselves to be more influential in the whole of life than they really are. This is, of course, true of any body of knowledge, to some degree.
>>
>>8184415
this post so much
>>
>>8185017
this is the most reasonable post i've seen on lit maybe ever.
>>
>>8184415
this is much funnier than it should be to me
>>
>>8185017

A+
>>
>>8185017
I beg to differ. Litterature proves useful when attempting to comprehend bygone cultures and ways of life. Philosophy permeates life as we know it, albeit not overtly. Both are the study of the intangible divide between man and beast, a charade of words and memes with the sole purpose of plotting out the abyss we are all forced to stare into.

Litterature is unimportant to the illiterate, philosophy is unimportant to the animal. As such, I'd say that in terms of cultural establishment philosophy is importanter. In terms of mass market appeal and market value, litterature is importantest.
>>
>>8184371
gr8 b8 m8 r8 8/8
>>
>>8184415
Holy shit
>>
>>8185017
Philosophy is extremely useful to find value in what you do.
>>
File: mugi.png (147 KB, 410x410) Image search: [Google]
mugi.png
147 KB, 410x410
>>8185017
This guy just proposed that philosophy and literature, broad in reach and meaning, are self-contained systems.
>>8185054
And this other guy just hailed it as the smartest post ever.

Let that sink in.
>>
>>8185715
While I disagree that it's anything profound or new (though, to be fair, he never claimed it to be such), I agree with him in the sense that you neither "need" literature nor philosophy.
Of course then the question arises of what "need" really means, but it's enough in this case to claim that you can live a happy life without either.
>>
ayy lmao
>>
>>8185017
Stefan? Is that you?
>>
>>8184415
fuck me, I laughed out lout
>>
>>8188061
Why is this post supposed to be funny?
>>
Philosophy is ideas, while literature is ideas in motion.
>>
File: 1466430988707.jpg (15 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
1466430988707.jpg
15 KB, 500x359
>>8188100
This desu.
I like to think of lit as fleshed out philosophies, each providing coherent acts and characters and motifs or in however blend to commit to certain ideas. Kek if philosophy is the concession to the universe and man, the novel is the dramatization, or in some cases the realistic portrayal, or as you said the motion and flow of philosophy. So Hemingway should be closer to philosophy than maybe say Joyce. Take for example Candide, which is regarded as philosophy and barely has any story to it.
Tl;dr i agree wid u
>>
>>8188100

So philosophy is math and literature is physics?
>>
>>8188157
fuck you

physics is not fucking math in motion. jesus. you people are cancer.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (65 KB, 471x800) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
65 KB, 471x800
This thread, wow, it truly is the first day of summer.
>>
>>8188162
math is the dildo physics is the real dick
>>
>>8188167
Pls stop bitching
>>
>>8184921
*Missgeburt
>>
>>8188167
Get your pedophile cartoons off of this board.
>>
>>8188100
>>8188157
I'm thinking philosophy is single variable calculus, literature is multi-variable calculus.
>>
>>8188204
Infinite Jest is the triple integrals of literature
>>
>>8184371
My dear friend, when you reach your early twenties, as I have, you come to realize that life is short. We're allotted limited hours here on this pale blue dot we call Earth, so we best not waste them. That's why when it comes to reading, I read the best and only the best. And the best is David Foster Wallace. I strenuously urge everyone on this board who's reading this to pick up Infinite Jest when you get the chance. Just remember: Wallace said, "Fiction's about what it is to be a fucking human being." He didn't say, "Fiction's about what it is to be a fucking Witch-king of Angmar."
>>
>>8188177
To the laboratory! nice dubs
>>
>>8184371
Spelling
>>
>>8188207
So, difficult if you're a pleb, but incredibly tedious if you're actually familiar with the field?
>>
>>8184415
10/10
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.