[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's the writing career coming, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: feels.png (5 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
feels.png
5 KB, 645x773
How's the writing career coming, /lit/?
>>
got a couple short stories published
trashed half a novel because rl drama
i am confused about what my new project is
>>
>>8179888
>writing career

DON'T DO THAT.jpg

Seriously, don't. Daily reminder the most successful books of all times were written by people who weren't "professional writers".
>>
>>8179928
I don't think writing career implies you do it as a full time job anyway
>>
>>8179928
Most great books were written by people who did devote substantial amounts of time to writing, though.

However, you are correct in that many of them could not make a living off it. This is why, for example, Joyce was constantly bumming around Europe working part-time as a tutor while begging various people for money.
>>
File: cowboytom.jpg (12 KB, 231x224) Image search: [Google]
cowboytom.jpg
12 KB, 231x224
recently published 2 poems, not a bad start_
comfortable knowing that I've done enough to send out, the amount or rejections doesn't even matter at some point_ to know that someone is reading the works.
>>
>>8179888
My writing career is me writing bad short stories and posting on tumblr which gets around 0-3 notes

It's pretty good I'm having a lot of fun with it. I would actually do it full time if I'm able to, though luckily I have options.
>>
I had an interview with a magazine editor about becoming a contributor. I was supposed to submit something a few days ago but haven't started on it.
Now that I'm on the precipice of writing professionally I just don't really feel like it anymore.
>>
>>8179960
That's cool, where did you get published or featured?
>>
>>8179974
humag.co
Appreciate the interest,
to note_ I do not make a living off of this, though one pushes still.
>>
>>8179971
why did ya become shitty?
>>
>>8179986
I have a Wordpress where I post my poetry. Plz check it out and tell me what you think I'd love to get some feedback from an actual poet.
https://thenightshiftguy.wordpress.com/category/poetry/
>>
>>8179942
I wasn't even talking about the most praised books critically, but about the best-selling ones: Bilbo, Dream of the Red Chamber, The Little Prince, etc.

Seemingly, these books written by "outsiders" (an aviator, an academic...) had more success than the classic books of professional writers such as, say, Stefan Zweig or Émile Zola.

Indeed, devoting a lot of time to writing is generally a key element for success, but there are also dilettanti with genius. Think Cavafy or Baudelaire: real poets, but didn't write much.

>>8179932
Thinking of writing as a "job" is wrong:

1) It's not very profitable these days.
2) Taking the "job" approach seriously will make you write the dullest commercial crap.
3) If it really works (rare case), you'll make millions and it won't be a job anymore.
>>
>>8180014
Not sure to take close to heart what other writers' have to say about your work, I feel like we all gain a hate for each other because one might have made up some swell lines and so forth.

I did read you though, I like the night shift gig.
>>
it's not coming. i started on a character sheet on jan 10 and haven't touched it since.
>>
>>8180049
I see. Regarding the name I literally work the night shift, in fact I'm doing one now.
>>
>>8180014
>Iceland

Why not write in the mighty Icelandic language?

Writing poetry in a foreign language cannot lead to superior results, since you don't have the "special grasp" that only natives can have.

And this "special grasp" is the organ of poetry.
>>
>>8180014
Do you ever write anything that's not abab dogshit?
>>
I'm actually pretty excited. Just in the last six months I've gotten three short stories published, and hopefully more are coming. I'm also trying harder than ever to get a literary agent, since I finally think I have a book worthy of representation.

I'm making it work, /lit/. I think it's happening.
>>
>>8180068
hate to assume, howbeit, you played well into letting the reader know, which I suppose is what we aim to do eh?

anyways, keep writing!
>>
>>8180074
Well I'm brand new to poetry, trying to move away from ABAB/AABB to something more advanced.
>>
>>8180075
is literary agent truly critical for this age or ever for the matter?

I mean, I'd love to have me a Charlie Runkle.
>>
>>8180074
There's literally nothing wrong with abab.

#StandWithAbab
>>
>>8180071
also - this!
It might have more bearing and have grounds to claim.
>>
>>8179888
>tfw can feel the emotion I want a novel to convey
>there's a full story in the back of my mind
>can't bring it to the forefront, much less to paper
>>
>>8180071
Yeah, I've thought about that. The sad thing is there are no real literary magazines or poetry readings I know of, the "scene" is pretty much dead, or its just old people in which case the scene will be literally dead soon.
>>
>>8180086
Don't bother. Half the time no one cares or notices, and the other half, half assed shit you crank out with no meter or rhyme scheme gets wanked over more than anything else you've written. The contemporary poetry reader is, on average, a total retard.
>>
>>8180086
What matters is being "advanced" in the content. Form doesn't matter as much.

Abab and his friends are fine: they proved their worth during centuries. Removing the difficulty (free verse, etc.) is actually less advanced than the "simple" abab.
>>
>>8180119
I've noticed that from browsing blogs or self publishing sites like Wordpress or Writerscafe. People just shit out uninspired love poetry or some garbage about personal loss and it's just a big wankfest. The rating systems are a total sham, everybody gives everybody else either a full 10, or close to it, anticipating that person will do the same to their shit. It's like most of the people on those sites are more interested in the idea of being known as a writer rather than having some genuine passion.
>>
>>8180126
>is actually less advanced than the "simple" abab.
You can't be serious. abab writes itself. Nearly always sound like you're in kindergarten.
>>8180119
Keep the meter and the euphony, avoid writing shit like that anon does in his wordpress.
>>
At this point I'm pretty much the Odell Beckham JR of writing.
I'm like the opposite of John Elway; the things I write are coherent and convey information.
I'm better than Peyton Manning and Paxton Lynch combined.
I'm the god damned Aqib Talib of this writey writer bullshit.
I'm Tom Brady to all you suckers.
Call me Eli Manning.
>>
>>8180111
Some alternative options exist:

>mixing poetry with prose
>mixing poetry with music
>Internet poetry (will filter out the old people)
>creating your own scene, your own movement
>writing in Icelandic first, then translating in English for a wider public

But I see the problem: even in countries with 60 million people, the scene feels half-dead, and "Internet poetry" in French or Italian seems doomed to failure, since there is no public who "wants" it.
>>
I currently have 5 assignments for this magazine. The editor thinks I'm a genius, but I'm an idiot, I'm convinced she's an idiot too. I've never had this many assignments at once and I'm a terrible procrastinator and I might very well fuck this up.
>>
>>8180148
>You can't be serious. abab writes itself. Nearly always sound like you're in kindergarten.

If abab is so "simple"... then why is it so hard to avoid sounding like a kindergarten poet when using it?

Checkmate.
>>
>>8180140
I can think of many reasons why people would pursue such attention, basically a farming ground

We're really all shit, thankfully there's some shit cuter than others.

I used deviantart for like a week, it served its use for that time in the life.
>>
>>8180167
don't be a coward, let the editor know if you're stuffed.
>>
>>8180167
matter of fact, I got into a little heated discussion with an editor about common sense.

I won't be published by that company, to say the least.
>>
>>8180167
Are you getting paid? Don't fucking blow it if you're getting paid.
>>
File: crypepe.jpg (12 KB, 236x229) Image search: [Google]
crypepe.jpg
12 KB, 236x229
I just want to write my shipping fanfiction. Why did I end up here?

Do I really have to read some cyka rape two 10 year olds?
>>
>>8180722
dumbass frogposter
>>
>>8179888
It's 2016
>>
>>8180722
I had to look up what a shipping fanfiction is. It's surprisingly not some horribly deviant sexual fetish.
>>
>>8179928
Not true at all you fucking faggot.

Kill Your Self
>>
>>8182706
Weongk.
>>
Published my first book on Amazon. I got a few 5 star reviews in the review section and on goodreads. Sales are ok but I'm making more money off the people in the lending/Amazon Prime crowd. I need to work on marketing but I'm knee deep in editing of book 2 of the series to have it ready by fall.
>>
>>8183322
Is this gasfag?
>>
>>8183351
quite
>>
File: CVLKHoKUEAAxkIn.jpg (36 KB, 553x567) Image search: [Google]
CVLKHoKUEAAxkIn.jpg
36 KB, 553x567
I am outlining my very first novel. It's hard but also fun. I'm not trained in writing, but enjoying the creative process regardless.
>>
>>8180186
nah, I can do this. Plenty of free time to write it all. Just need some discipline.

>>8180191
Yeah, don't talk shit to your editor.

>>8180242
Yep! PAID PAID PAID. Journalism rules.
>>
>>8183922
>Yep! PAID PAID PAID.

Then DON'T FUCKING BLOW IT.
>>
>>8183544
Remember, Anon, everyone is shit at the start. However, it is important to write your first novel so that you can eventually write a masterpiece.
>>
>>8182706
I could have given relevant arguments if you didn't call me a "fucking faggot" then proceeded to demand that I kill myself.

Thus you're a moron and I'll just tell you to fuck off.
>>
>>8180036
This is some spot on advise. Don't treat writing like an 'i could escape my job' fantasy.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.