[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is "meme literature"? I always see you guys talking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 855.gif (901 KB, 500x228) Image search: [Google]
855.gif
901 KB, 500x228
What is "meme literature"? I always see you guys talking about it, but I have no idea what it means.
>>
>>8175357

>I have no idea what it memes
>>
>>8175357
meme literature is all literature I don't like
>>
Whatever I don't like
>>
>>8175359
Bastard
>>
>>8175360
>>8175362
Well that's pretty fuckin retarded.
>>
If it's popular, it's a meme
If it's good, it's a meme
If you've read it, it's a meme
>>
>>8175357
my dairy desu
>>
>>8175357
consider the definition of meme as an item that is transmitted by a process of self propagation out of general human interest and a wish to show others that interest.

this is somewhat bastardised for the internet going audience but the core remains the same, it's a thing that humans have an innate urge to pass on to other humans. When you hear a funny joke and tell your friend that joke that's a meme.

It follows therefore that meme lit is literature that the human mind will feel required to pass on to other minds and it can be further concluded that for this context, meme lit is literature that is ESPECIALLY prone to this within a specific subculture, in this case the 4chan board /lit/. "Meme literature" is therefore "things that people on /lit/ think ought be read", whether consciously or unconsciously this message is passed is irrelevant, the message propogates all the same.
>>
File: 20160618_004925.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160618_004925.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>8176609
Its beautiful how it all mindlessly evolves,like a separate creature.
>>
>>8176656
It's called viral for a reason.
>>
>>8175357
A meme is something the Internet is obsessed with; yet regular people never heard about it and don't care.

So, meme literature is something like Tao Lin (inb4 "go to bed Tao").
>>
File: 1442712635713.gif (3 MB, 255x191) Image search: [Google]
1442712635713.gif
3 MB, 255x191
>>8176609

this is the first time i've seen someone try to give a serious answer to this question and it's actually the right answer
>>
>>8176609
a memetic idea doesn't necessarily entail its explicit communication or sharing

as long as it's "adaptive" to the "conditions" of the minds it spreads to, it is spreading memetically, supposedly analogous to genetic selection

it isn't just a funny joke, it can be a way of carrying out some activity that other people see and imitate. if it were actually a bad way of doing that activity, but because of some quirk of cognitive bias it appeared to observers to be especially effective or easy to learn, it would have higher memetic fitness even though it's ostensibly maladaptive (inefficient or whatever).
>>
>>8175357
It's like normal literature, but it's a meme.
>>
>>8175357
Popular post modern books that are too long for people to read without making multiple (too many) threads during their first read through
>>
"Meme books" are generally the lofty and relatively difficult doorstopper books that get praised to death here despite being very seldom read.

Obvious examples include: Ulysses, Infinite Jest, Gravity's Rainbow, 2666, Moby-Dick

Some more recent examples: The Recognitions, The Tunnel, JR, Women & Men, Underworld
>>
>>8177663

Moby-Dick really doesn't deserve to be included with them.

If people think it's hard, that reflects more upon their own stupidity than the greatness of the book.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.