[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post/modern literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
What should I read to prepare for Delillo, Roth, Updike, Pynchon, etc.? (And what order is best to read them/their works?)

What historical/literary context is important to understand these guys?

Is there any start with the Greeks meme when it comes to English literature?
>>
>>8175104
oh my fucking god just read it, faggot
>>
>post-modern
>historical/literary context

I'm having worried keks here m80.
>>
>What historical/literary context is important to understand these guys?

gee i wonder
>>
Your life is the context that matters. That's why these guys are so invigorating, so life-affirming. That's why they'll be remembered for thousands of years.
>>
>>8175104
just do some convoluted mental gymnastics, that's how you understand post modernism, hell you don't need to understand it, those fuckers thrive in the deconstruction and everything is relative meme, you could just make up some bullshit and say it's just post-modern ultra ironic thinking
>>
>>8175175
i long for the day when people finally understand what postmodernism is
>>
>>8175104
That picture is fucking disgusting, it has the hips of a fullgrown woman taken alone, a completely IMPOSSIBLE waist-to-hip ratio, a flat chest, manshoulders, then, finally, a fucking child's retarded anime face on top of it all.

Go fuck yourself, OP.

Also Updike and Roth are really fucking far from being some sort of uber-dense literary pyrotechnical authors. Just fucking read them.
>>
>>8175104
Is this bait?

I'll respond to it anyway.

Thinking of postmodern literature in terms of "canonicity" is just wrong. It might be useful to have read a few classics just to understand what makes postmodernism so special. But you could do this just more quickly by looking at a 19th century realist painting and then looking at an Abstract Expressionist painting and noting the difference between them. Your waifu is a great example of postmodernism as anime is a postmodern art form.

As for the Greeks meme with regard to English literature, I saw a decent reading list recommended as summer reading for recent undergrad admits at King's College, Cambridge. They marked a few books with stars as essential works -- I'll copy the list here:

The Bible (authorized version): Genesis, Exodus, Job, Psalms, Song of Solomon, the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, and Revelation

Dickens, Charles, Bleak House; or Eliot, George, Middlemarch; or, Bronte, Charlotte, Jane Eyre (they told incoming undergrads to pick one of these to read over summer)

Homer, Odyssey, e.g. in the Penguin Classics or Oxford World’s Classics editions

Homer, Iliad, e.g. in the Penguin Classics or Oxford World’s Classics editions

Ovid, Metamorphoses, many translations, including Mary M Innes (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1955)

Shakespeare, as many of the plays as possible as well as the Sonnets

Virgil, Aeneid, e.g. in the Penguin Classics or Oxford World’s Classics editions

The reason why they make these recommendations is because constant references are made to these works by canonical English writers. English and American writers especially like the Bible compared to continental writers, so it is important to read. Their suggestion to read those Victorian novelists is a little questionable -- my guess is that they see them as easier introductions to the novel's form compared to tougher reads such as early novelists Bunyan or Richardson.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.