[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I notice an increase atheist attacks on Dostoevsky on this board.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: 1466217130896.jpg (337 KB, 1025x725) Image search: [Google]
1466217130896.jpg
337 KB, 1025x725
I notice an increase atheist attacks on Dostoevsky on this board. Now, I could be wrong, but this feels like part of reaction against the increasing "Christianization" of 4chan, particularly this along with /pol/ and /his/. Only reason I say this is because these attacks were not common a couple of years ago.

Is there any truth to this, or is this just a bad year for Dostoevsky for other reasons?
>>
>>8174911
/lit/ has recently taken interest in Nobokov's opinions of others authors and, not having read anything by Dostoyevsky, they piggyback his unfavorable opinion of Dostoyevsky.
>>
>>8174911
>>8174920

The only russian author people talk about is dostoy I don't understand what people are trying to make out, that's an honor in itself.

Out of all the russian authors from the 19th century on dostoy is what comes to peoples mouth, he's the murakami of russia but better.
>>
>>8174920
>/lit/ has recently taken interest in Nobokov's opinions of others authors
That's been a meme for a while, but I don't think anyone takes it seriously. I further don't think that is the reason, since there a lot of posters are viciously slandering Dostoevsky as a person along with his writing, and Nabokov never did that.
>>
>>8174928
That's because Dostoevsky has the greatest philosophical depth, that's why Nietzsche loved him. I don't think anyone would consider Dostoevsky, from a purely literary standpoint, on par with Gogol, whom Dostoevsky himself certainly regarded as a superior. It's also not due to Christianity, since Gogol was himself was as religious as Dostoevsky..
>>
>>8174911
>The Orthodox Church Stays in the Dark Ages

No my friend, we stay in Antiquity.
>>
>>8174961
It's the title from a recent article raging that Vatican II didn't happen for the Orthodox Church this month

>Pope Francis' enormous popularity -- his Twitter accounts in different languages have a total of about 30 million followers, about as many as Bill Gates and more than Adele -- is a consequence of his openness to diversity and a softer approach to dogma. He represents a modernized Catholic Church. By contrast, the world's second biggest Christian denomination is proving so resistant to modernization that its plans to adopt some timid changes for the first time since the year 787 have fallen through.

http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-16/the-orthodox-church-stays-in-the-dark-ages

But of course, we are in antiquity, it's just "Dark Ages" sounds better when putting us down.
>>
>>8174969

Orthodox have always been the strongest defenders of the traditional faith, can people really fault them for that

>muh no homos

>muh 3 fingers crossed
>>
>>8174911
There are probably about as many real Christians as before, the only thing we have more of are "deus vult" /pol/tards.
>>
>>8174969
>>8174978
>wants to be traditional
>still ecumenical
Literally why
>>
>>8175015
The Ecumenical Patriarch does not want the Church to be traditional, he wants her to be modernist. The point is that he was thwarted and the Church is staying traditional.
>>
>>8175035
Yes but what about ecumenism with romans, protestants etc.?

I don't see how a serious church could ever entertain such notions.
>>
>>8174911
It is a very naive look, and it would be fine if that was it.
But the truth is that /lit/ is swarmed by newshitters from reddit, and the atheistic militia goes hand in hand with that.
>>
File: 1464965755049.png (483 KB, 544x1192) Image search: [Google]
1464965755049.png
483 KB, 544x1192
>>8174911
It's b/c someone posted this and everyone believes it and all of a sudden it makes Dosto a bad writer.
The fact that I saved it makes me just as guilty as anyone else
>>
Its not Christianity in particular that we are against. just that he shoehorns it into his books namely the end of Crime and Punishment.
>>
>>8175097
wtf? i hate dostoevsky now
>>
>>8175050
Heretics gotta stick together these days

>>8175097
This was literally written by the same guy who made up the lie about Dostoevsky being a child rapist (written after both Dostoevsky and the party he supposedly told it to were dead, surprise surprise).

>>8175112
Crime and Punishment references Christianity throughout.
>>
>>8175112

>we

don't talk like that.
>>
>>8175159
>Crime and Punishment references Christianity throughout.
In fact, the guy's very name, "Raskolnikov", means "schismatic". He excommunicates himself from society and the Church (but the latter is more of a subtext, yet a very clear one, in order to found his own Church with his own doctrines (so to speak). He was a introvert before, but after the deed, other people caring for him is outright torture (in line with Saint Isaac the Syrian's view of hell, which was extremely influential on Dostoevsky).
>>
It's just the way boards work.

People started acting as if Dosty was the greatest of Russian literature, and heralded him as "super deep and philosophical", so all the newplebs started jumping on his wagon.

People reacted negatively to this, and then the newplebs jumped on that wagon.
>>
>>8175097
wtf? i'm gay nao
>>
>>8175002
this

>>8175424
this
>>
a lot of Christians dislike /pol/. i'm not talking about those lukewarm Christians that allow for women and queers to be bishops and marry sodomites either.
>>
File: tips Christian morality.jpg (21 KB, 474x528) Image search: [Google]
tips Christian morality.jpg
21 KB, 474x528
This board will be purged of slave morality soon enough.

Better late than never.
>>
>>8175557
If the Christian in question likes /pol/ then it's obvious that they're either meming or retarded. Christianity is the antithesis of /pol/ and 4chan at large honestly

Orthodoxy is more mystical whereas Catholicism is more intellectual. That's probably why there is a blow back against them here and by self-identifying intellectuals on the internet. Orthodoxy is also likely the most existentially primed religion out there.
>>
>>8175159
>This was literally written by the same guy who made up the lie about Dostoevsky being a child rapist (written after both Dostoevsky and the party he supposedly told it to were dead, surprise surprise).
proof?
>>
The godless apostate heathen infidels cannot stop us. Neither will the treachery of the Pharisees, Saracens and pagans go unredressed. We will claim all of cyberspace in the name of Christendom just as we have already taken /pol/ and /his/ before you. This board belongs to Christ and shall one day soon declare in one voice that He is Lord. Amen.

DEVS VVLT
E
V
S

V
V
L
T
>>
>>8175599
Of what? That this was written by Strakhov? Or that the rape story was?
>>
File: Christfagson4chan.png (3 MB, 4956x3228) Image search: [Google]
Christfagson4chan.png
3 MB, 4956x3228
>>8174911
>I notice an increase atheist attacks on Dostoevsky on this board. Now, I could be wrong, but this feels like part of reaction against the increasing "Christianization" of 4chan, particularly this along with /pol/ and /his/. Only reason I say this is because these attacks were not common a couple of years ago.

Do you have any examples of atheist attacks or is it just people copying nabakovs critique of him?

I tend to agree with others that what little criticism there is of him is by people who are new to literature and are disapointed when an Author touted to be one of if not the best doesnt blow their socks off.
>>
>>8175608
This board still belongs to Christ
also >>>/pol/
>>
>>8175626
You don't see the countless attacks on Dostoevsky as a person? Nabokov didn't do that.
>>
>>8175628
>You don't see the countless attacks on Dostoevsky as a person? Nabokov didn't do that.

I havent come across those threads.
>>
>>8175632
Off the top of my head
>>8158051
>>
>>8175639
I saw that thread, it was pretty much just one person arguing with a tripfag whilst the rest talked about generalities.

meanwhile we have a nabokov thread still being bumped >>8172386
>>
>>8175568
the viewpoints they have on race is what really makes people dislike /pol/ from a Christian standpoint. the race of a man does not matter to God. follow His Word and all is forgiven if you repent for you sins. unrighteous hate for your brothers and sisters is not acceptable.
>>
>>8175424
I honestly think it's just how memable Nabokov is
inb4
>Dislike him. A cheap sensationalist, clumsy and vulgar. A prophet, a claptrap journalist and a slapdash comedian. Some of his scenes are extraordinarily amusing. Nobody takes his reactionary journalism seriously.
>>
>>8175727
Not everyone on /pol/ is racist. 8pol is racist but the Christians split off into /Christian/ over there.
>>
File: shiggy.jpg (296 KB, 672x508) Image search: [Google]
shiggy.jpg
296 KB, 672x508
>>8175599
>>8175097
>giving any credence to a coward who slanders the newly deceased to (futilely) escape his own irrelevance
>>
Nabokov was full of shit.

He hated Freud but loved Kafka.

He hated literature of ideas but loved Ulysses.

Basically, if you wrote a book that appealed to some form of his autism he liked it. If you reminded him of religion, history and politics he said "D+"
>>
>>8176063
Kafka said he considered Dostoevsky as his literary brother.
>>
>>8176068
That's true but Nabokov didn't give a shit about that.

Also, Nietzsche loved Dostoevsky and you'd be hard-pressed to find his critiques of Christianity/modernity apply strongly to Orthodoxy.

It was always already proto-existentialist.
>>
>>8174911
https://souloftheeast.org/?s=Dostoevsky
>>
>>8175832
Yes, I go to /Christian/. World politics isn't discussed as much there but there is occasionally some political discussion if it relates to the Christian faith.
>>
>>8176077
are they pro neo-crusades?

I might go there if they're truly redpilled
>>
It's all just memes. There are very few Christians on the Internet and they don't visit 4chan.
>>
>>8176080
Some are in the belief there needs to be a new crusade, yes. But as a whole I can't speak for because it's very hard to determine this without polling every /Christian/ users out there.

>>8176139
There are millions of Christians on the Internet daily. Why are you being retarded for? And I visit 4chan but mostly just /lit/.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.