[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should I read before reading The Word as Will and Representation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: schopenhauer.jpg (26 KB, 304x475) Image search: [Google]
schopenhauer.jpg
26 KB, 304x475
What should I read before reading The Word as Will and Representation? I already have a pretty solid background in Plato, if that means anything, but I'm looking to read this next. Can I just dive right in?
>>
>>8173129

DOIVE ON IN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcbkwgnWt-A

If you know Plato and Kant, you're good to go; that's literally all Schopenhauer read.

He's the most direct/straightforward of all German idealists, so if you can't understand him then you're fucked.
>>
>>8173145
Ok sounds good. Do you think I could just read the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy thing on Kant, I'll be okay? Because I don't know if I'm up for reading all of The Critique of Pure Reason right now
>>
>>8173156

Yes, because page one of The Critique of Pure reason will make you feel like a retard; because Kant could not into straightforward prose.
>>
>>8173171

Idiot.
>>
I don't wanna start my own thread. I'm not OP, but where do I start with plato? The only thing I ever see mentioned is the republic and then there's that one book on the chart of entry level lit books called the last days of Socrates. What would be your recommendation, because everyone says that I should read the greeks in order to understand philosophy and although I really never wanted to, I'm starting to think that I should just so I can tackle the sorts of works that I want to be reading like the German philosophers.
>>
>>8173177

Work backwards with Plato.

The Last Days of Socrates is his most accessible work.
>>
>>8173190
that bitch was 4 dollars with amazon prime shipping total cost. Holy fuck my nigga, whoaaaaa. I bought that bitch.
>>
>>8173250
That bitch is gonna blow your mind anon. Get ready to need a fix of Plato's Platonic love cannon from now on cuz his shit will FUG you UP ;D
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.