[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting with Nietzsche
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: fed-nie.jpg (47 KB, 468x528) Image search: [Google]
fed-nie.jpg
47 KB, 468x528
Should I read Nietzsche in any particular order?

I'm aware that Nietzsche can easily be misinterpreted and I don't want to fall into the usual pitfalls people make when reading his works directly.

Are there any other philosophers I need to know to read him? I've read the Greeks (pre-Socratics, Plato, Aristotle), Spinoza and Schopenhauer so far.

My former philosophy professor told me that Beyond Good and Evil is the best place to start, while Thus Spoke Zarathustra can be rather vague.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Nietzsche-Library/dp/0140150625

BGE full text when you get to it

Geneology full text too
>>
>>8171553
Nietzs he recommended reading all his texts in order. BGE isn't his best work despite being well known. Maybe, if you don't want to take the chronological route, start with Twilight of the Idols? It's an older text, but it's like a summary of his ideas and it's short and rather accessible if you have the right mindset (not screaming "muh arguments, p > q motherfucker!" every sentence for instance).
>>
>>8171630
Anyone who obsesses over muh arguments will never make it into any of his books, when reading the N-God you must understand that he thought that whether something was true or not wasn't the key thing to be concerned with.
>>
>>8171630
By chronological, you mean, working my way from The Birth of Tragedy onwards?
>>
>>8171676
There may be some earlier essays published, but basically yes. Although some of his works are more concerned with philology (only the ones at the beginning) so you might want to speedrun them (although he makes interesting arguments even in those).
>>
BOT
On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense
TOTI
UM
HATH
TGS
BGE
GM
Zarathustra
AC
WTP (read with a grain of salt)
EH

Most of his other early period works are superfluous or frequently included in collections alongside his early works.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.