[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
have any of you actually read the meme trilogy? All I see now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: facebookmeme.jpg (19 KB, 488x368) Image search: [Google]
facebookmeme.jpg
19 KB, 488x368
have any of you actually read the meme trilogy?
All I see now are spergs going on about "prose" and how the "prose" in IJ is bad... of course, DFW's style of all over the place in that book; it's a projection of all the little different versions we have within: all these compartments with different needs, emotions, sets of goals that come together to make the real you. At, times, he creates a disjointed passage, with long compound sentences, that flow in a completely disjointed way, to create a mood of anxiety; a anxiety that is prevalent in the modern world. But you spergs don't really feel emotion, you just care about the amount of books you have in your library, how many pages you can absorb in one sitting, to feed your little Spergalicious egos because you wasted your youth behind a screen, shying away from society, from people, from your own families...

I can really tell that most of you are young, lacking any real life experience... and you make up for your complete lack of personalty by taking shots at esteemed pieces of work so you can appear above-it-all, believing that you're a savant whose god-given talents will be revealed, so all the Chads and Staceys in high school who rejected you will think of you with jealous contempt.
>>
>inb4 "you're projecting"
>implying that comment isn't coming from some sperg who saw this and took offense, only knowing anger as a means to express their inner turmoil
>>
>>8166349
I have and IJ, while not as bad as people make it out to be, was ultimately a failed experiment. The other two books succeed in doing what they set out to and are just more competently written in general.
>>
>>8166382
What did IJ set out to do? How did it fail?
>>
>>8166349
A lot of people here have read meme trilogy, possibly omitting Ulysses - all three books are fun and engaging, it's the pefect introduction to literature.

Your critique: shallow. Prose can serve a purpose but it can never only serve a purpose. "Be cry" is pumelled here because while it's obvious what DFW was going for, and one may say he succeded, in the process he lost the innate self-serving nature of prose. Say, Catch-22 also employs prose as a tool to convey a feeling; but the writing is still rhytmic and flowing and beautiful.
>>
>>8166349
>DFW's style IS*** all over the place

auto-correct surely hates us all
>>
>>8166349
>trying to defend IJ

lmao

stay memed cuck. ij is trash.
>>
>>8166400
I can attest to the Wardine section being a bit too gratuitous. If I was him, I wouldn't have taken the risk of writing a section that reads phonetically like Ebonics. Anyone outside the U.S must have scratched their head at that section.
>>
>>8166413
Do people like you have any self-awareness?
You just wrote the sentence "stay memed cuck."

Sounds like the internet has really taken a toll on you.

I know this is a troll post... here's your (You)
>>
>>8166400
>but it can never only serve a purpose

Care to explain? I just think you're talking out your ass here to be quite honest.

Prose, as it is, serves a complete and total purpose in every writer's work.
That's like saying chords and key changes serve no purpose, that composition in music is empty at its core.
>>
joelle, the one who didn't dodge, is my waifu
>>
>>8166443
Say you want to show that your character deems himself smart because he has a wide vocabulary, but in truth, he is lifeless, unemotional and hollow. So you write in robotic prose, makes sense. But from the position of reader, even if your prose delivers the message, it is unpleasent, not engaging, and far from beautiful.

It would be like a musician trying to create a sense of great discomfort and eerieness by playing a bit out of tune, and he suceeds, but music itself becomes unpleasent to listen to.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.