[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Action scenes in literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1465720686451.jpg (32 KB, 412x430) Image search: [Google]
1465720686451.jpg
32 KB, 412x430
Whats your favorite written action scene? What do you think is the best example of an interesting one? I'm talking about shootouts, fights or whatever comes to your mind. Examples would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>8164798
My memory isn't very good so my favorite is usually something I just read.
Right now the dual scene in a hero of our time is my favorite action scene. My heart was pounding the whole time (could be partially due to the coffee).
>>
>>8164798
The judge making gunpowder out of brimstone and piss was pretty good
>>
>>8164821
By dual I mean duel
>>
When McReady, Barclay, and Copper encounter a Thing in the shack was an incredible ending in Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell

>Like a bluerubberball, a Thing bounced up. One of its four tentaclelike arms looped out like a
striking snake. In a sevententacled hand a sixinch pencil of winking, shining metal glinted and
swung upward to face them. Its linethin lips twitched backfromsnakefangs in a grin of hate, red
eyes blazing.
>>
>>8164851
It's lips parted, and it spoke "nothin personnel"
>>
>>8164858

Action scenes are hard to write, man. Its hard to find the sweet spot between merely describing whats going on and going overboard with edgy details that make it look like the adventures of shadow the hegehog.
>>
>>8164851
Wow only a portion is greentext thats embarrassing, but its still a great section of the book, that moment when somebody stops and says "what about blair?" - I forgot about him completely until that point, and overall it was a terrific finale.

>>8164858
Thats how it begins, the thing is actively hostile, unlike its imitations, and you feel that hostility the moment the door is thrown open by McReady and Barclay.
Did you read it? I didn't post the rest of the passage because I thought it was a common read among /lit/izens.
>>
The end of Light in August when Joe Christmas gets his balls chopped off. That shit was intense
>>
desu that image really hurts my head
>>
So many parts of Byron's Don Juan. The battle between the Turks and Russians is hardcore as fuck, biblical

>ankle deep in blood
>dying turk bites Russian's Achilles tendon, jaw doesn't release as Russian stabs and cuts w sword, head remains in rigor mortis even as Russian decapitates him
>>
i enjoyed the bomber scenes in catch 22
>>
I fucking love the battles in David Weber's Multiverse series.
>>
If you want to write good action you should study Dan Annette. In all the testing I've done none is better than his. Though Moorcock is pretty damn good.
>>
>>8164798
black man running man
The Innocents Abroad
>>
>>8164798
The weirdest part about Infinite Jest is that DFW is surprisingly good at action scenes, but he never uses them. So when he gets around to finally writing one, it is exceptional. Best part of the novel.
>>
>>8166134
Yea, really good, and funny too.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.