[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Hawthorne the first canonical American author? I want to start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
Is Hawthorne the first canonical American author? I want to start reading early American literature (I've been ploughing through the transcendentalists), and figured that the Gothic romantics (Melville, Hawthorne, Poe) were the next step.
>>
>emerson's essays and poems
>hawthorne's short stories and novels
>Melville's Moby Dick and Piazza Tales
>Poe's longer works
There's your starting point senpai
>>
Also Washington Irving.
>>
>>8163905
No
>>
>>8163905
Yeah, I'm with >>8163943: I tried reading his Alhambra stories and they were boring.
>>
>>8164033
And now you know gringos can't write for shit
>>
>>8164046
Peasant tier post tbqh
>>
File: Charles_Brockden_Brown.jpg (81 KB, 342x418) Image search: [Google]
Charles_Brockden_Brown.jpg
81 KB, 342x418
>>8163688
>>8163855
>>8163905
>19th century starting point

Wieland published 1798, and actually pretty fucking neato
>>
Where should I start with Faulkner?
>>
>>8164270
In another thread for one thing.
>>
Read 'Earth's Holocaust' OP, great story. For the most part, however, I'm not interested in Hawthorne. His prose is fantastic but his subject matter doesn't appeal to me
>>
>>8164270
As I Lay Dying

>tfw just got a Norton Critical edition of Hawthorne's tales AND an older edition bu a different publisher that includes other sketches and tales Norton didn't
>>
>>8164480
I got the LoA edition of his Tales and Sketches over the weekend and it's a big-ass thing of a tome, even by LoA standards.
I guess I was used to thinking of Hawthorne as having written a few short novels and a book of Gothic fairy tales. It's like how people often overlook Arthur Gordon Pym.
>>
Hawthorne is America's first great author (the second greatest, IMHO, only behind Melville). However, if you want a starting point, you could easily go back to Washington Irving, the first prose writer of substance the US produced. If you want to REALLY go back, you can start with the Puritans (Mather, Bradstreet, Winthrop) but they disn't write prose fiction
>>
Read >>8164264

This guy is absolutely right. Serious influence on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and really interesting if you read it along with Todarov's Essay on The Fantastic.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.