[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear western civilization Why aren't you accepting the Triple
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1210_1ede.jpg (43 KB, 600x708) Image search: [Google]
1210_1ede.jpg
43 KB, 600x708
Dear western civilization
Why aren't you accepting the Triple Goddess into your lives like the Greeks you worship? Your god is a shit!
Sincerely, Robert Graves

>discuss
>>
>>8160271
What's the Triple Goddess?
>>
>>8160339

Refers to any 3fold goddess, such as Artemis (maiden), Selene (mother), and Hecate (crone). Or the 3 Fates, or 3 Muses (sometimes multiplied into 9 muses).

They are usually associated with the moon and its phases (New Moon, Full Moon, Waning Moon) which in turn refer to the seasons of the year and stages of life
>>
Hesiod names Hecate as the most important of the gods and goddesses but the translator also notes is may be a local thing and Hecate was important from where he was.
>>
>>8160367

>3 Muses (sometimes multiplied into 9 muses)
by sometimes you mean nearly always since hesiod who is like the earliest source:

>"These things, then, the Muses sang who dwell on Olympus, nine daughters begotten by great Zeus, Cleio and Euterpe, Thaleia, Melpomene and Terpsichore, and Erato and Polyhymnia and Urania and Calliope, who is the chiefest of them all"

>>8160385

how aristophanes wrote (about an invented goddess):

>PROMETHEUS ...But make no peace, mind that, unless king Zeus
>Restores the sceptre to the Birds again,
>And gives yourself Miss Sovereignty to wife.
>PEISTHETAERUS And who's Miss Sovereignty ?
>PR. The loveliest girl.
>Tis she who keeps the thunderbolts of Zeus,
>And all his stores, good counsels, happy laws,
>Sound common sense, dockyards, abusive speech,
>All his three-obols, and the man who pays them.
>PEI. Then she keeps EVERYTHING I
>PR. Of course she does.
>>
OP: have you actually read that book? it's more about the Welsh bards' secret tree language than it is about goddesses.
>>
>>8160625
This is Graves (and most British writers) number one problem. Everything has to be about the Brits. The Athenians only matter because they ruled the waves like the Brits. You'd have thought that the invasion of Britain was a thousand times more important than the Jewish revolt the way Graves wrote about it. And Orwell, writing at the turn of American supremacy writes about a future ruled by a Britbong. Grow some perspective.
>>
>>8160271
>goddess worship
No thanks, I'm white, worship only beautiful men
>>
>>8160636
What language are you speaking right now?
>>
>>8160636
even worse, Graves was of German and Welsh descent, and after the first world war people weren't encouraged to be proud of being German, so he was all about the Welsh, bach, you know.
>>
>>8160625

You would be right if it were just about a Welsh alphabet but it's not. Graves discovered that the alphabet that they were using originated from Greece, so when he makes mention of the Beth-Luis-Nion or Boibel-Loth.
He also makes stupendous discussion to over half the world's mythologies in reference to said alphabet and it's origins in goddess worship.
>>
>>8160639

>No thanks, I'd rather be a homosexual

Well at least you're honest about it.
>>
>>8160636
WE'RE LIVING ON A FUCKING ISLAND
>>
>>8160636
>The Athenians only matter because they ruled the waves like the Brits.

You've got that backwards anon.

>>8161443
>so when he makes mention of the Beth-Luis-Nion or Boibel-Loth.

Just realized I never finished that sentence.

What I meant to add on to that is "he is not just talking about the druids"
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.