[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comparing two novels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1.jpg (55 KB, 352x500) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
55 KB, 352x500
Hi guys, need some help for my A2 comparative essay about two books I've never read. So far I wanted to pick '1984' and 'Brave New World' but I thought that this is a bit cliche, and wanted to challenge myself. Thus, I looked into 'A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man', and 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' and before picking these two I wanted to know to what extent I could compare these two novels - themes, movement, period, author etc.

I appreciate any help you could provide (hopefully spoiler-free if possible).

Also feel free to give further suggestions on two novels that go well with each other.
>>
If you really want to challenge yourself you should read the two and make the comparisons yourself. You might find that there are very few comparisons whatsoever and that they're difficult to find, but that's the challenge.
>>
>>8158578
I understand where you're coming from but I simply want reassurance to make sure that I'm not wasting my time (on this task ONLY as both are on my reading list) on novels that just do not go together.
>>
>>8158606

Finding that they don't have anything in common is a comparison itself
>>
>>8158606
Bump
>>
>>8158574
Easy: the picture of Dorian Gray and Faust

Medium: the picture of Dorian Gray and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Hard: the picture of Dorian Gray and the poems of Tennyson
>>
>>8158574
Funny enough OP I read both of those books right after one another. There could be a comparison made on the theories of Morality made in each and perhaps a conversation of Joyce's section on Aesthetics in part IV with the philosophy in the Preface of The Picture of Dorian Gray.
Also both contain a ton of character development which is bound to line up in some way. Keep us updated if you can, it's an interesting subject imo!
>>
>>8158650
Sure, but that makes for a dull paper
>>
>>8158574
Ulysses and Infinite Jest
>>
The Savage Detectives and Hopscotch
Tennis sections of Infinite Jest and End Zone
>>
>>8159931
Don't do this meme.
>>
>>8158574
Artist has a wider scope, is more about a child's general growth into an adult, both in character and reasoning. Dorian is really an adult already. An innocent, young adult, who becomes corrupted. He changes but from one viewpoint to the other, not really growth. You could argue that Dorian stays childish because he stays physically young for many years.
>>
You should do The Stranger and The Idiot. Those two novels could produce a really insightful comparative essay.
>>
>>8159626
bump
>>
>>8158574
Paradise Lost and a book involving the Faustian legend.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.