[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
French Revolution
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: madame guillotine.jpg (2 MB, 2835x3875) Image search: [Google]
madame guillotine.jpg
2 MB, 2835x3875
What are some good books set and/or written in this period? Preferably from the POV of the revolutionaries rather than the nobles, but either is ok as long as it's well written.
>>
>>8157183
read something shit, like rouge et noir
>>
>>8157183
Evola
>>
which revolution?
>>
Was actually researching this earlier tonight for myself. Didn't go too deep, but here are a few books that came up which I thought looked interesting, and which you may like as well:

Carlyle's "The French Revolution," written shortly after the fact by a novelist. Apparently very beautiful, if not totally accessible. Famous on its own merits, kind of like a lesser-known Gibbon's Rome.

Doyle, "Oxford History of the French Revolution," a quite recent book which appears to be well-respected academically, but is apparently as boring as it is venerated.

Hobsbawm, "The Age of Revolution, 1789-1848" is part of a 4 book series leading to the cusp of the 21st century. Obviously not just about the French Revolution, and I made note of it more for its broader topics than exactly the Revolution, but I figured it's worth mentioning.

de Tocqueville, "Ancien Regime and the French Revolution" is apparently a comparison of the old and new states of France by the author much more widely known for "democracy in america."

Jonathan Israel, "Revolutionary Ideas" is a very recent book about the intellectual origins of the Revolution.

Palmer, "Twelve Who Ruled" is a more in depth view of the Terror

Finally, and I think this is a close second to Carlyle's book as far as looking appealing, and I would guess is the closest to what you're looking for, is Schama's "Citizens: a chronicle of the French Revolution," as apparently giving a more holistic perspective before and during the Revolution.
>>
de Sade, the one aristocrat who was a revolutionary.
>>
>>8157243
The usual one - Year One, let them eat cake, Robespierre, all that stuff.

>>8157275
Thanks, these look like a good start. Was also thinking about Dumas' "Ninety-Three" and maybe Scaramouche.

>>8157276
Didn't he mostly just think up complicated BDSM techniques though?
>>
Schama's Citizens is great
>>
>>8157183

nothing good came out of the French revolution besides Napoleon
>>
I thought "A Place of Greater Safety" sucked, but a lot of other people seem to like it.
>>
I found Georg Büchner - Danton's Death very enjoyable.

Spoiler Alert: Danton dies in the end.
>>
>>8158475
Which was the greatest gift to bless mankind tyvm senpai
>>
>>8157183
>from the POV of the revolutionaries
kill yourself, jacobin
>>
File: Prise_de_la_Bastille.jpg (153 KB, 800x597) Image search: [Google]
Prise_de_la_Bastille.jpg
153 KB, 800x597
>>8159011
Sry, it's not really designed for that :^)
>>
>>8157183
The Scarlett Pimpernel is my favourite romance of all time.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.