[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"You don't know what you would do in x situation because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 909b.jpg (104 KB, 809x620) Image search: [Google]
909b.jpg
104 KB, 809x620
"You don't know what you would do in x situation because you were never in x situation."

Is this a logical fallacy? Does it have a name?
>>
Empiricism.
>>
>>8155521
You don't know what you would do in x situation even if you were in x situation. You only know what you did do.
>>
>>8155521

It's not a fallacy.

There is no alternative to experience.
>>
>>8155521
>>8155528
You don't even know what you've actually done in x situation even if you were aware of your actions in x situation while you were in it and afterwards. You only know what you know you have done.
>>
>>8155554
You don't know me.
>>
>>8155559
I wouldn't actually know you even if I did have relevant knowledge about you. I'd only know what I knew.
>>
>>8155586
le how do le you know that XDD
>>
It's not a fallacy unless they mean to suggest that you can't have an opinion on the morality of the action taken in that circumstance. If you were saying "I would do x" then they are right, because you cannot be sure that you actually would take the action you think you would.
>>
>>8155595
best response so far
>>
>>8155532
See: >>8155524
>>
>>8155521
its only a logical fallacy if the statement it is trying to refute was prefaced with "for the sake of argument". But if someone is criticizing a soldier for acting cowardly or something then of course its a logical fallacy.
>>
>>8155723
not*. fuck I am drunk
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.