[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pop-Sci
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 326x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 326x499
What is the fucking point in Pop-Sci? Is it just stuff written for the masses for entertainment purposes? These books don't actually teach you anything useful and a lot of them contain common knowledge of modern science which you can find in a high school book. If you actually want to learn about real science why not read a textbook?

I personally think pop-sci is aimed at pseudo-intellectuals who just want to memorise useless facts in order to show off their 'knowledge'. These books are no better than those shitty YouTube videos like crash course which teach you nothing useful.

> pic related
>>
File: 1459614944025.jpg (121 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1459614944025.jpg
121 KB, 480x720
>>8145185
>common knowledge

go on then mate give us a quick summary of hawking's key theories. no googling.

>I personally think pop-sci is aimed at pseudo-intellectuals

your whole stupid fucking post is a paradigm example of the worst kind of /lit/ pseud-ness

>inb4 200 shitposts from angry boys who have read a pop-thinking book and think they're fucking socrates

pic unrelated
>>
>>8145185
Pop-Sci books are alright, usually because they actually delve into some topic deep enough to have a general grasp without having to know the mathematics behind it

Pop-Sci videos, like ASAPscience and Minute Physics, annoy me more because they're similar, but even shallower and they're aimed at people who have attention spans of hedgehogs.
>>
>>8145185
I read this and a brief history of time when I was in high school and I thought they were okay, but when I reflected upon it I realized it was just a collection of facts. There was no actual transferring of knowledge. As someone studying engineering physics I can say that those books are not even science, there is no reasoning for anything, only analogies.
>>
>>8145185
I always assumed they were essentially gateway books for plebs.
>>
>>8145185
The problem is that they simplify the concepts under discussion to make it digestible for the general population, often to the point where simplified analogies lose a lot of the nuance required to have a complete grasp of the topic. Then the "i fucking love science" pseuds read it and think they understand everything there is to know without actually understanding anything. Disgraceful
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.