[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any books that will teach me about hacking? Something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Capture.jpg (112 KB, 1212x806) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
112 KB, 1212x806
Are there any books that will teach me about hacking? Something that isn't too technical or boring but will be a good guide to navigate or explore through things like snapchat and stuff? I'm excessively paranoid and want a good resource to quell my fears and give me some measure of power.

Also: cyberpunk/sci-fi recommendations?
>>
>>8145110
there are loads of hacking books. look up syngress publishing and just pick a "basics of..." or something
>>
>>8145110
>not to technically
Lmao
If you suck at programming learn python, books never help learning programming. You have to try it out.
You cant "hack" without knowing at least 1 or 2 coding languages pretty good.
If you are interested in smartphone apps learn java
>>
>>8145260
i don't think you actually know anything about the subject you are posting about
>>
>>8145294
Well what makes you think so?
>>
>>8145416
I saw hacking in some movies and it wasn't dorky like programming but rather like gaming.
>>
>>8145428
nb m8 nb at all
>>
File: ATY_large.png (48 KB, 216x176) Image search: [Google]
ATY_large.png
48 KB, 216x176
>>8145416
because all your statements except one are either untrue or inadequate

>If you suck at programming learn python,

"learning python" by itself won't prevent someone "sucking" at programming. it is equally possible to write bad code in python as in any other language. although i don't necessarily advocate reading lots of deep stuff like knuth or whatever for a beginner programmer, getting any kind of beginner programming material will help rather than knowledge of any specific programming language. for example milf queen vorderman's "computer coding games for kids" is going to be more benefit to a beginner programmer than a python book.

>books never help learning programming.

they quite obviously do

>You have to try it out.

this is the one true statement

>You cant "hack" without knowing at least 1 or 2 coding languages pretty good.

of course you can. of course there are hackers who are disdainful of non-programmers and call them "script kiddies" or whatever but the fact is that there are plenty of hacking tools that require little or no programming experience.

>If you are interested in smartphone apps learn java

java is mainly used for native android apps. native iOS apps are written in C using XCode or one of its derivatives (Swift etc). in reality most developers who want to create apps for both will use a tool that will cross-compile onto both platforms (plus windows phone).
>>
>>8145110
You sound like a git who's watched one too many American movies and tv shows. Either way, this is more of a /g/ thread. Though they'd probably laugh at you too.
>>
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources#God-tier_books

https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
>>
>>8145445
Thank you for your long answer.

First: my advice to learn python was based on the idea that it is simple as shit so it might be a good start for him.

Books never helped me a lot.

If you want to understand what you are doing and maybe develop own tools or whatever or even just read some source code you should learn programming.

Honestly i dont know much about apps, i shouldnt have statet half knowledge in the first place
>>
>>8145110
if you want to learn "about" hacking and not how to hack then I'd suggest you look up some common exploits and famous bugs to get a feel or exactly what "hacking" entails

some good places to start: look at botnets, how they are built and maintained, how zombie computers are infected, how ddos attacks are staged and for what purposes; code injection type attacks zero-day exploits, and how someone can get a computer to execute code when they are prevented from running it directly; encryption and password cracking, general stuff like dictionary attacks and keyloggers etc. then look up specific examples of botnets, attacks and malicious executables, conficker and stuxnet are two interesting examples, also look up some of the bigger botnets currently operating and the general types of attacks hackers and russian mafia computer criminal types engage in like ransomware

I'd also look up some of the social groupings of so-called hackers, like nationalistic chinese hackers, white hat and black hat crap, internal hierarchies like script kiddies and such, mafia organized hacking, curious/destructive experimenters who release self-replicating stuff into the wild, and people who build hacking software to sell comercially that allows less sophisticated users to use premade rootkits and things

and try to get a sense of the evolution of linux and BSD platforms, as well as early home brew type hobbyist stuff

also historically you would want to look into phone phreaks and the original proto-hackers from the dial-up/BBS days when hacking was using the phone system to gain elevated privileges in the phone network and free long distance calling and modifying consumer end products, you can actually get on google groups and read old alt.x discussions from early newsgroups in the 80s about hacking and cyber punks when these terms were still fresh and alive

I don't know shit about coding but you don't really have to if all you want to get is a more realistic and in-depth understanding of what computer mischief in general and hacking in the more constructive sense is all about. there are a lot of good nonfiction books, I've not read the Hacker Crackdown but it is supposed to be pretty definitive for info on the early history of hacking, also Snowcrash is really fun/funny book hacking that really fleshes out the ethos many of these hackers would construct for themselves looking to cowboys and samurais similar figure [pretty corny and laughable but interesting none the less]
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.