[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just finished the Xmas eve party chapter. how, without the guide,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 71NCMDhfzzL.jpg (225 KB, 800x1238) Image search: [Google]
71NCMDhfzzL.jpg
225 KB, 800x1238
just finished the Xmas eve party chapter. how, without the guide, we're we to know exactly what Anselm did with that razor blade.
>>
>>8142557
You know, it's also possible he shaved his hair bald to become a monk.
>>
Anyway, the serious answer is the subtle references and building up of it throughout the story. The reference to Origen, that worthy father of the church, who castrated himself to be free from impure influences. The metaphors of the phallic flowers (orchids = derived from Greek word for testicles) being snipped as if it were castration, a cutting down of youth in its full bloom, in the part where Otto's in South America. The general assholery and cynicism of Anselm which, tragically and comically, is the result of his obviously very troubled personality. Just my take on it.
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 964x735) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 964x735
>>8142557
>Xmas

Very very good goy!! You don't need religion! It is for weak minded idiots! Vote for big guv 2016 we will take care of you! To
>>
Something about his dick
>>
File: praisehitler.jpg (23 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
praisehitler.jpg
23 KB, 620x388
>>8142625
xDxDxDDDDDDD!~!!!! passive effeminate latent homosexual castrated liberal cucks LOL! you tell them, bruder!
>>
>>8142682
What's with the swastika? Fuck hitler and fuck the alt right.
>>
>>8142691
Good feminist goy.
>>
>>8142557
It seemed pretty clear to me that he was about to inflict some sort of self-harm in that part, but I thought he was slitting his wrists. Though I guess it was very very vaguely implied through suggestions like that other anon said. That and when Max accuses him or raping that little girl earlier.
>>
>>8142842
yeah obviously self harm. but of what kind.
>>
>>8142846
There's also all his talk about how evil women and sex are earlier that could be considered a hint. Though yeah, it's definitely not obvious or clear by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>8142557
Otto rapes his little sister
>>
>>8142895
He doesn't have a little sister to rape though. His nonexistent little sister's name isn't Phoebe either.
>>
>>8142912
>Didn't notice the subtle catcher in the rye references sprinkled throughout the novel that hint at Otto raping his little sister
>>
>>8142918
obviously that anon is a pleb, don't judge him too firmly.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.