[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You will wake up one morning to realize you have the prose of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: Simpsons_monkey_paw-300x225.jpg (17 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Simpsons_monkey_paw-300x225.jpg
17 KB, 300x225
You will wake up one morning to realize you have the prose of your favorite author.
But only in the style of their worst book.
What do you do?
>>
>implying sinclair lewis ever changed his prose style

time to win a nobel prize and write increasingly mediocre satires for the rest of my life
>>
Borges worst book?
Don't know what it is but pretty sure is still insanely good.
Will get the nobel for him.
>>
>>8142344
actually nvm i'm flannery o'connor
and her worst book actually has my favorite passage from her so i'm in top form
>>
File: 4512351235123.jpg (541 KB, 1115x1517) Image search: [Google]
4512351235123.jpg
541 KB, 1115x1517
>>8142337
I cuss out some motherfucking Jews
>>
File: fuck.jpg (14 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
14 KB, 360x270
>no favorite author
>therefore no prose style
>am incapable of writing for the rest of my life
>>
Fuck, I have the prose of Finnegans Wake. I don't really know what to do with this...
>>
Write like anericana delillo¿ Ill take it
>>
>>8142570
Witz by josh cohen has the same problem
>>
>>8142337
rejoice. celine best writer
>>
Hi Stephen King.

Nice twist, but it's really not that interesting.
>>
>>8142337
Write books like A Dream of Fair to Middling Women all my life?

I'm sure someone will think I'm funny (even if they don't understand what I'm saying).
>>
File: johngreen.jpg (27 KB, 320x486) Image search: [Google]
johngreen.jpg
27 KB, 320x486
>>8142337
Figure [insert favourite writer here]'s worst prose must be a million times better than anything written by John Green at least.
>>
i'm not sure what krasznahorkai's worst book is - all the ones i've read so far have been amazing, although of course i haven't really been reading his books, i've been reading the works of his translators george szirtes and ottilie mulzet (the latter of the two feeling more precise but less artistic, but how would i know how precise she is i don't know, i just get that feeling that she's trying to more accurately capture meanings but with less flow; she uses more semi-colons and it bothers me) so i wonder if they're my real favourite authors, george szirtes especially, but this doesn't necessarily hold water because i read some of his own poetry and it didn't captivate me in the same way, and i read some of his other translations and they seemed to have different, distinctive voices separate from his krasznahorkai translations, so i suppose my favourite author is a gestalt composition of krasznahorkai translated by szirtes, filtered through his lense into english - but i imagine that the worst exemplification of the style would just be a stream of fucking babble, an endless sentence like this one which just went on and on like your inner voice, only stripped of its artistic insight
>>
>favorite author
This really is a board for plebs.
>>
Proust

so his only book
>>
>>8144897
>Proust
The later, unpolished books in In Search of Lost Time then.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.