[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are any of Gaddis' other works as Salinger-esque as JR?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1350670043.jpg (81 KB, 243x376) Image search: [Google]
1350670043.jpg
81 KB, 243x376
Are any of Gaddis' other works as Salinger-esque as JR? It finally just clicked for me at the introduction of Eigen's wife and their relationship followed by Schramm's suicide and I'm hoping The Recognitions has the same, despite its main focus on following the story of Faust.
>>
>>8138421
Bump

Just a sentence, for gods sake
>>
The Recognitions isn't that much like JR to be honest, you have to consider how much time there was between these two novels. The Recognitions itself took like seven years to write and JR wasn't published until twenty some odd years after that.
>>
>>8138653
Thanks, fella.
>>
>>8138421
>I'm hoping The Recognitions has the same, despite its main focus on following the story of
I haven't read JR since The Recognitions is my first Gaddis, but it really doesn't focus on the thing you're saying it does as much as you'd think. It was originally supposed to be the focus of the book, but over half of it is random parties in Manhattan with a motley crew of pseudo intellectuals.

The third person narrator (I guess you can say Gaddis himself) is sort of Holdenesque in that the book is about how fraudulent everything is.
>>
>>8139054
Just what I was hoping for. Does it go into familial dysfunction at all?
>>
>>8139101
Yes, but not with any large families and not for that long.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.