[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finally getting around to reading pic related. Is it worth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 197x255) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 197x255
Finally getting around to reading pic related.

Is it worth it, /lit/?
>>
Why don't you read it and find out?
>>
>>8136962
dude, no.
>>
>>8136969
Because its a behemoth and I want to gauge the room first to see if its worth my time.
>>
I hope you like lengthy tangents about the Napoleonic Wars and the Parisian sewer system.

I really enjoy some parts of it and I wouldn't read it abridged but it's not the most exciting novel on earth that's for damn sure.
>>
>>8136996
Do the enjoyable aspects of this novel outweigh the boring parts in your opinion?
>>
>>8137019
>enjoyable aspects of a book
And even but what even are you even here for anyway?
>>
>>8137034
>even
>>
>>8136962
It's great if you want to see social realism and romanticism come together in an interesting point in history. Sort of like Dickens but with beautiful prose rather than that ornate Victorian stuff.

Read past the first section about the priest before you decide to quit. It's good, but you want to get a sense for other characters and why the priest is important.

I recommend.
>>
If you want an enjoyable read of Hugo start with Quatre vingt treize. Shorter and with a good fast plot (in comparison).
>>
Man Les Miserables is good. Read it OP I promise you wont regret.

There's a battle scene towards the end that's worth reading the whole book for. Pretty heavily historical and Napoleon-focused at points but unquestionably worth it
>>
>>8136962
It's definitely worth your time. One of the only books that's made me weep openly. Possibly the greatest epic novel ever written.
>>
>>8136962
I always wondered who this Les guy was, and why he was so miserable.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.