[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: 1459624860480.jpg (46 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
1459624860480.jpg
46 KB, 333x500
Bickering knights edition

Recommendation
>Fantasy
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous >>8129875
>>
>>8136812
>>8136855
Requesting aramini or another wolfe fan for this
>>
File: bleb.jpg (82 KB, 466x512) Image search: [Google]
bleb.jpg
82 KB, 466x512
One thing, as a farmer, that bothers me. Is the lack of disturbance towards the concept of agriculture in novels. Seriously, it's like nobody considers it. Especially given how little of a choice there was in the far past towards our social caste and unwillingness. It's terrible social horror shit. It's dirty, dehumanizing, it fucks up what you look like to others forever. The effort starts bending your spine. It's just, awful through and through with some positive elements.

But I don't like how it isn't explored, demeaning and dehumanizing labor we have no choice but to be put through is a concept I don't that's ever been handeled well or properly. Maybe it's me, it's a deep seated dissapointment of not breaking the family tradition's mold, that king's desires for cannon fodder in the past, or just the need to nourish an overpopulated planet, override our own autonomy and emotions towards others, making you feel like they don't see in you what you see in them.

I don't know what I'm saying. I just wish farmers weren't constantly written as "Poor people! That cultivate crops!", and not facing the dirty wirty disturbing bullshit dealt with is. Or how we're forced into believing its acceptable to look down on people as "plebs" when the aforementioned are, for some people, and for many people, vital sources of aliments. This was even more prevalent in the past I'm assuming given the feudal system.
>>
>>8136906
Dorcas is a woman, her husband is the man.
Both Sev and Dorcas are resurrected by the Claw, which Severian doesn't know he has.
>>
can someone recommend any good swedish science fiction?
>>
Repostan
Thoughts on this ?
>>
>>8136926
It's obviously good, but I'd be skeptical towards a J-E translation.
>>
>>8136760
Thanks, anyone else have some more depressing fantasy?
No happy stuff allowed
>>
>>8136912
And whence do the claws powers come, if not from the blood of the Head of Day himself? For Triskele, "the smallest of those dead", seems to be mighty lively before the coming of the claw.
>>
>>8136912
>>8136812
(the dude (who's been searching his wife's body for 40 years)'s) wife
->
the wife (of the dude (who's [more details]))

He didn't get anything wrong, he just autismo'd the details out, because he doesn't get enough feedback with others.
>>
File: kjp.jpg (115 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kjp.jpg
115 KB, 1280x720
>>8136946
I'd highly recommend K. J. Parker (pseudonym of Tom Holt) for some depressing fantasy. For instance, after reading the Hammer I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. Or the Fencer trilogy, that fucking ending...
>>
File: Dunno on the Moon.png (39 KB, 1288x874) Image search: [Google]
Dunno on the Moon.png
39 KB, 1288x874
>>8136888
What are some good /sffg/-related Youtube channels?
>>
>>8136976
Thanks man
>>
I'm right wing, /sffg/. I friend of mine told me to read the Sword of True because of that, but everyone I know says it's pretty bad, probably the worst thing to happen to Fantasy since Eragon.

Is it that bad? Can it worth something because of my political views?
>>
>>8137081
Stop being a politics cuck and just read good books, jesus.
>>
>>8137081
>Eragon

Something I grew up hearing about, and never understanding the fuss.
>>
>>8137081
It's literally just fantasy.
Keep your politics out of it
>>
>>8137081
Sword of Truth is right wing and bad. John C. Wright's Golden Age trilogy is right wing and good.
>>
>>8137081
The fuck? Your political views might prevent you from enjoying a book? That's pretty pathetic.

I'm an atheist and an anti-theist: I was still able to enjoy books like Alvin the Maker, even though it's literally full blown Christianity non stop all the way through.

Hun, suspension of disbelief, you aren't supposed to agree with everything in a book.
>>
>>8136911
I don't really know what you expect, read some of the biographies of popular authors, they grow up in predominately liberal affluent cities and choose degrees where they come into as little contact with the working class as humanly possible.
>>
>>8137115
He's asking if his political views could make a bad book good.
>>
>>8137100
>>8137115
>>8137103

I didn't say that, I just wanted to know if this book can be more fun if you agree with the author ideas, even if it's a terrible book, like /lit/ thinks SoT is. You guys missed the point, or I wasn't clear enough on the other post.

>>8137114
Thanks, I'm going to take a look at it.
>>
>>8137125
Ohhh, yeah, I just read it again, my bad.

Possibly it could, not sure though.
>>
>>8137128
>I just wanted to know if this book can be more fun if you agree with the author ideas, even if it's a terrible book, like /lit/ thinks SoT is.

The book is complete and utter garbage, anon. Enough said.
>>
>>8137128
I did understand that, and I think it's silly.

Why would you want a bad book that could humor you because of your views or whatever, instead of just picking up a good book from the start?
>>
Is Wheel of Time good?
>>
>>8137165
Because another friend said it might work?
>>
>>8137182
If you like Stockholm syndrome.
>>
>>8137165
I didn't intend to read it right now, just some day, if I'm bored and I want something stupid.

I have a spreadsheet that I use as a backlog, If it was any good, I would add it.

>>8137187
This too.
>>
>>8137182
No. Save your time.
>>
>>8137182
Is not as good as the world thinks, neither as bad as /lit/ thinks.
It has good books and bad books. 1-3 are ok. 3-6 are great. 7-10 are atrocious. 11-14 are very good.
>>
>>8137194
Pretty much this; it's not incompetent, just uninspiring.
>>
>>8137182
It depends on your taste. I like it.

If you like Lotr clones with that old good vs bad story and two dimensional characters, but great wolrdbuilding, you'll probably like it,
>>
Looks like the GoodReads web API has a fairly obvious path to the information I want (book/series relationship), but harvesting that data is technically against their terms of use. Worldcat is also pretty good, but my understanding of the record relationships is still shaky.
>>
>socks on, feet warm
>socks off, feet cold

How the fuck do I counter this fresh hell
>>
>>8137241
>he doesn't wear sox 24/7
>>
>>8137254
>I live on Plute

Piss off u Icey fuck I want advice
>>
>>8137256
I live in Britbong land m8 and I wear socks 24/7
>>
>>8137211
>thinks LotR is Frodo vs Sauron
>>
>>8137194
I saw some guy on a YouTube video saying that there was a wheel of time book (can't recall which one correctly) that made him quit the series.

He said he had loved it so far, but there was so much stale politics into that one he simply couldn't go on.
>>
>>8137310
99% of chance it's book 10, 1% is 8.
>>
Say what you want, but this guy is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXMASMvwqUg
>>
Is there any good military sf?
I'm reading Storm of Steel and will be in the mood for more.
>>
>>8137414
Old man's war, by John Scalzi
>>
>>8137423
It's awful, easily one of the 3 worst novels I've ever read.
>>
>>8137423
>John Scalzi
Oh no.
>>
>>>8137474
I think Rothfuss is comparatively has masterfully written prose.
Scalzi may be the most insulting author I've ever encountered.
>>
Wtf, the Talan Aimasse is 300k years old in Malazan?
Wtf
>>
>>8137504
Stop spoiling books you dumb cunt.
>>
>>8137182
Fuck yes. Easily the best epic fantasy in the last 50 years. The only people who bash it are young adults with ADHD-level attention spans. Books 7-10 move slowly, but it's certainly necessary for the set up of the conclusion of the series.
>>
>>8137489
Rothfuss' prose is extremely eradicate in quality, probably a side effect of him having taken 7-11 to write just the first book.
>>
>>8137536
>eradicate
erratic*

Sigh.
>>
>>8137504
Yes so what?
There is alot more history then that though.
Many different races have lived in the past centuries.
>>8137509
That is literally not a spoiler.
>>
>>8137542

It just seems weird.
I'm almost at the end of book 1 and I STILL have no god damned idea what the Genna Packies campaign is about or what it even is
>>
>>8137544

Is that supposed to tell me something?
>>
>>8137551
>end of book 1
>who is shadowthrone
>>
>>8137553

I don't know?
>>
>>8137557
Read the first poem (call to shadow)
>>8137543
The "genabackis campaign" is the name for the conquest of the continent genabackis through the Malazan empire.
Led by high fist dujek one arm.
>>
>>8137564

Is it normal to have no idea what is going on in the book for Malazan?
>>
>>8137570
That's not normal.
You're likely pretty stupid
>>
>>8137570
No.
Only in the first one.
The second is alot better and less confusing.

Have you figured out who shadowthrone is yet?
>>
>>8137570
The first book is literally a unreadable jumbled mess that has entire blogs dedicated to justifying its existence, It's normal.
>>
>>8137582

I have 79 IQ according to my psychologist, so maybe

>>8137583

No, everyone has so many names, I keep seeing The Tista Andy and some others who get called this and that and it's confusing
>>
>>8137606
Yes, it's called shit writing.
>>
>>8137589
I didn't think the first one was that bad. You just have to patiently absorb facts until everything comes together. Granted I was confused about places not being on the map... They really should include all mentioned continents.
>>
>>8136926
I posted about it in the previous thread. Just use ctrl f to find it.

Basically the anime stayed extreamly close to the novel, but about halfway through you start to get to some interesting new things. Since the first novel covers what seemed like more than a third of the anime the books after the first should probably be much better.

As far as the writing goes it seems pretty ok for a j to e translation. It moves very fast.
>>
>>8137606
>call somebody stupid to trip his ego
>he's actually a fellow double digit IQ masterrace
S-sorry

First book of Malazan is just badly written, later ones are better
>>
>>8137676
>First book of Malazan is just badly written, later ones are better

Aren't the last five quite bad?
Haven't read any.
>>
Any of you read criticism on cyberpunk? Point me.
>>
>>8137687
>Aren't the last five quite bad?
Where you've read that?

Erikson is a consistent writer.
>>
File: 2MuTWFy.jpg (260 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
2MuTWFy.jpg
260 KB, 1500x1000
>Reading Recommendations from George R.R. Martin
http://imgur.com/gallery/rXfvn

this is the top trend on imgur right now
>>
>>8137715
>Scott Lynch
>Patrick Rothfuss
>Joe Abercrombie
I know theses 4 are best-buds but Jesus George, have some humility, that's some Tor-tier incestuous self-jerking.
>>
>>8137728
I don't know how anyone can stand to be in the same room as Rothfuss
>>
>>8137715

With a few exceptions, he's just shilling for unrecognized authors.
>>
>>8137746
>unrecognized authors
Uhh, what? they're all well recognized and popular authors.
>>
>>8137750
>Uhh, what? they're all well recognized and popular authors.

Tell that to the people sending him those e-mail asking for books.
>>
>>8137414
I've heard good things about Hammer's Slammers, but IIRC it's mostly a collection of short stories.

Written by a guy who did some time in Vietnam, so it's supposed to be pretty grounded despite having fusion powered supertanks.
>>
>>8137715
>Fafrhd
>Conan
>Gormenghast
Holy shit GRRM was the Dinosaur poster all along!
>>
>>8137753
What's your point? every /sffg/ thread is filled with people who beg for recommendations despite not having read anything in the "selected" chart.
>>
>>8137761
I'm not trying to make any point. What I think is, he's deliberately not promoting authors like Sanderson and Steven Erikson due to their success.

But that's just my humble opinion.
>>
>>8137715
I mean I'm not one to judge by goodreads ratings but...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23847992-dragon-heart

Seems like he's shilling it for the sake of it, instead of recommending a good book.
>>
>>8137773
Next up, "Why don't bad book reviews exist", the answer won't surprise you!
>>
>>8137715
The GRRM post it's based on is over three years old...
>>
>>8136911

Have you read World Without End? That book goes into quite some detail on the medieval agricultural system, including how arbitrary and unfair it is.
>>
>>8137863
That book was written by somebody educated in pseudo-history by the history channel, it couldn't even get the mediaeval social hierarchy correct.
>>
>>8136911
This is great. 10/10
>>
>>8137883
I mean he's totally wrong and doesn't understand how mediaeval society worked, the concept of being a "farmer" didn't really exist, everybody farmed, they weren't dirty and had pretty good hygiene, didn't really deal with much bullshit caused by the aristocrats, villages were mostly autonomous from the manor, aliments weren't common for adults because they only worked 8 hours a day with at least 2 of those being naps and meals, fucktons of holidays and festivals, clean water and plenty of ale.

Do I need to go on?
>>
File: 1438363874355.jpg (196 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1438363874355.jpg
196 KB, 1280x720
>>8137913
>>
>>8137913
yesss goy become a medieval peasant, we will provide ale
>>
>>8137913
Anon says they are farmer. Even if they've never been plowed know all about these things. Seriously.
>>
>>8137929
>Anon says they are farmer
Anon should've gone to University and studied agriculture science then, who the fuck believes in overpopulation in 2016? have you seen how efficient we can grow produce now?
>>
>>8137536
Prose is the cancer killing /lit/
>>
File: 1393288295956.png (69 KB, 662x858) Image search: [Google]
1393288295956.png
69 KB, 662x858
>>8137970
>who the fuck believes in overpopulation in 2016
>It's 2016 guise, don't believe there's too many people and too few resources, the singularity is right around the corner, I promise you goys!
>>
>>8138226
Not that guy, but there's clearly not overpopulation. What there is is dysgenics, where the less developed breed more than the more developed. Don't confuse them.
>>
>>8137970
You're dangerously stupid.
>>
>>8136923
What would that be about? High tech cuck sheds? Gay niggers from outer space? Time travelling nigger breeds someone's wife?
>>
>trying to write a kitchen-sink fantasy novel
>one of the characters is basically supposed to be baby jesus 2.0 in another universe
>realize I have no idea how the hell the church of that universe is supposed to react to shit like that, what the child's place in the hierarchy would be, what their freedoms or responsibilites would be, etc.
>>
>>8138443
Why don't you look at real life reactions? The Jewish response to Jesus and the Christian response to Islam for example.
>>
>>8138458
Yeah, I recommend watching The Passion of the Christ. It's really the only way to understand Jesus' selflessness and the vitriol of the Jews.
>>
File: qt.png (1016 KB, 805x803) Image search: [Google]
qt.png
1016 KB, 805x803
So I always liked Tolkien, I know he's about as mainstream you can get except maybe for GRRM at the moment, but I'm still in love with his works. This is troublesome for me since I can't seem to find anything more like it.

I have read many fantasy novels from different authors but none seem to capture that same spirit or breath as Tolkien. So I'm asking you guys, which authors are the inheritors of Tolkien? As in people who were inspired by his stories directly and didn't just superficially copy him or tried to subvert his works but authors who wanted to do what he did. The only thing I've read that feels vaguely similar is greek and norse myth.
>>
>>8138458
>>8138463
The thing is, if I go with that it completely takes over the story I'm trying to tell. Since her part of story takes place in an AU I was thinking that it would be established that their version of christianity expects jesus 2.0 to be born rather than descending from heaven.

That said, I still don't know how that would be handled. The best approximation I can think of is this case a few years back where a girl in india was born with way too many limbs and her villagers thought she was the reincarnation of Kali, but since the church is so much more organized I don't think the case applies
>>
>>8138478
Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser
The Chronicles of Amber
Gormenghast
The Worm Ourobouros
>>
>>8138479
>if I go with that it completely takes over the story I'm trying to tell
Just don't do the Jesus thing then?
>>
>>8138479
Simple, Batman Jesus, only he and maybe couple of priests (or the equivalent of the Pope?) of said Church know for a objective fact he's Batman Jesus 2.0 and guides the church of the shadows.
>>
>>8138479
One of the interesting things in The Passion of the Christ is how the Jews want to kill Jesus but under Roman law, though they are allowed to enact their own laws, they can't perform the death penalty. So they go to the Roman Governor and the we see that he's been told to prevent any further uprisings and is under a lot of pressure, and thus needs to please both the Jews and the Christians. As such, he brutally flogs Jesus, hoping that that will satiate the Jews without having to upset the Christians by killing Jesus. Yet the Jews still want Jesus dead. Then he offers to release another hated murderous criminal back to the Jews in lieu of Jesus, but they say they want Jesus anyway.

It's a good little play on the state's interests and the way organised religion splits when someone new and divisive appears. It may also be helpful to study the accounts of Martin Luther and Zwingli, because they incurred a similar reaction in the Reformation.
>>
>>8138488
That's probably for the best actually. I could just make her someone who seems like they were born to be a saint due to circumstances: electricity manipulation and cross-shaped pupils (not a mary sue trait if I address that it seriously fucks up her eyesight and other characters have similar powers)

Implications of the mythology in the story will lead readers to suspect her of being the second coming anyway
>>
Is Gormenghast YA?
>>
File: qt2.jpg (217 KB, 870x873) Image search: [Google]
qt2.jpg
217 KB, 870x873
>>8138486
>Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser
This is pulp. Good pulp but pulp nonetheless.
>The Worm Ouroboros
This was an inspiration for Tolkien, not the other way around. I've not read it yet though, will definitely give it a go.
>Gormenghast
Gothic and very anti-traditionalist. I didn't enjoy it and I don't really see the connexion to Tolkien.
>The Chronicles of Amber
I've never read any of these books but they seem very different. Wizard computer hackers on earth and in alternative dimensions? Not for me.

I guess I will read TWO then but I also wanted to know if there was any post-Tolkien works in the same style.
>>
>>8138656
yes
>>
>tfw every brilliant idea you have is revealed to be shit the minute you put the pen to paper
>>
>>8137535
t. Severely autistic individual
>>
>>8138761
The ideas might be fine, you just have to learn how to execute them in a satisfying manner.
>>
>>8137414
Neal Asher, BV Larson
>>
>>8138807
Not that guy, but I tried reading Brass Man and it was written so terribly I had to put it down after only a few chapters.
>>
>>8138805
It feeling like shit is the problem. If my work feels shitty I lose interest in the concept and have no motivation to keep at it. Same reason I never learned to draw
>>
>>8138814
Keep your stories short at first and just stick with it. Doesn't matter if it's shit as long as it gets done, that's the most important part of any creative project, to see it to completion.
>>
>>8138520
>naruto godmode eyeballz
>>
Could Naked Lunch be called fantasy?
>>
>>8138856
the eyes dont do anything, they just look weird and impair her vision
>>
>>8136888

Why do so many fantasy works have absolutely dogshit tier book covers?
>>
>>8138856
My story does the same damn thing. There's a girl who can cross her eyes in four dimensions, allowing her to see a warped, almost cubist, perspective of the past or future. She's afraid to do it too much though because her eyes may get stuck like that
>>
>>8138870
Publishers are damn sure its teenagers buying those books so they base their designs on that
>>
>>8138870
They don't want to hire a decent artist to paint a cover illustration since they're cheapskates and genreshit almost always comes primarily as paperback or pocket.
>>
>>8138885
>Magical loli goes cross-eyed to see into the future
It's just like in my animes.
>>
>>8138927
who said she's a loli?
>>
>>8138937
It's cute if a little girl goes cross-eyed, grown woman not so much. Grown women aren't cute at all in fact but the whole cross-eyed thing works much better with kids.
>>
>>8138929
Pedos are not allowed on 4chin m8.
>>
>>8138947
I just asked a recommendation for fantasy with little girls, or at least 1 girl protag.

That's all.
If you don't like my question, ignore it and hide the post.
>>
>>8137970
hahahahahahah
>>
>>8138944
I never said cute
>>
>>8138964
You said girl. When a girl grows up she becomes a woman. Boys become men.

And what's the point of having a grill in your story if she isn't cute?
>>
>>8139024
there are no women in america
just old girls
>>
>>8136911

I saw a farmer at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet one in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him about the water crisis or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen hay bales in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bales and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bala and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
>>
>>8139024
I just call any woman under 25 a girl
>>
Is Malazan YA?
>>
>>8139024
>When a girl grows up

Well that rarely happens so it's safe to call any female a girl
>>
>>8137194

>1-3 are ok
>3-6 are great

make up your mind
>>
>>8137606

Don't worry, you're still 15 points above the average for some African countries
>>
>>8137758

He's fairly well read and a good editor and compiler.

He's just a shit author.
>>
>>8138667
>I've never read any of these books but they seem very different. Wizard computer hackers on earth and in alternative dimensions? Not for me.

the first 5 books are good.

the second quintuplet is faggy.
>>
>>8139049
No
>>
>>8139045
Why would you call old hags "girl"?
>>
>>8139079
It's literally a tabletop RPG setting. Doesn't get any more YA than that.
>>
>>8139091
It's not a coming of age story and it's not marketed towards adolescents.
>>
>>8139042
love this copypasta
>>
>>8139115
It's written for adolescents tho.
>>
>>8139115

>Doesn't have rape
>Isn't super edgy

It's clearly not NOT YA
>>
>>8139134
I don't think so, he deliberately wrote in a style that lacked exposition which doesn't strike me being targeted towards young or immature readers.
>>
>>8139156

>Deliberately

You give him too much credit
>>
>>8139156
No, that was just shit writing, big difference.
>>
File: Dayside Taldain.png (1 MB, 579x807) Image search: [Google]
Dayside Taldain.png
1 MB, 579x807
>exactly three weeks until White Sand Volume 01
>exactly three weeks until Zero Time Dilemma
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>8138478
>which authors are the inheritors of Tolkien? As in people who were inspired by his stories directly and didn't just superficially copy him or tried to subvert his works but authors who wanted to do what he did
>The only thing I've read that feels vaguely similar is greek and norse myth.
You heard it here first guys, the Greeks and the Norse copied Tolkien.

You Tolkienfags just like to behave like he invented everything.
>>
>>8139240
>graphic novel
hard pass
>>
>>8138809
Read Prador Moon and Shadow of the Scorpion first(coke). After you get hooked to addiction, using meth is gonna seem awwwright
>>
File: 434234.jpg (3 MB, 1380x2000) Image search: [Google]
434234.jpg
3 MB, 1380x2000
>>8139243
>You heard it here first guys, the Greeks and the Norse copied Tolkien.
Are you illiterate? This was never implied in any way.
>>
>>8139260
>what is reading comprehension
Back to school you burger packer
>>
File: 1453198059695.jpg (135 KB, 900x872) Image search: [Google]
1453198059695.jpg
135 KB, 900x872
>>8139247
>graphic novel
Why not call it a comic?

I'd rather have a book version too but I'll take what I can get.
>>
Exactly three weeks till AGE of Myth.
GET HYPED
>>
>>8139140
But there is rape in Malazan. Quite a bit of it.
>>
>>8139282
It's obviously your reading comprehension that's flawed.
>>
>>8137182
Fuck no. Easily the worst epic fantasy in the last 50 years. The only people who like it are young adults with ADHD-level attention spans. Books 7-10 move slowly, but they aren't any shitter than the rest of the series.
>>
>>8137504
Yes, but don't worry. They could easily be 3000 years old and it wouldn't make any difference. Eriksson just likes to add a few extra zeroes to everything to make it seem more "epic".
>>
>>8137769
What a dumb post. Most of those writers are more successful than Erikson.
>>
>>8137913
It's a copypasta you stupid cunt.
>>
>>8139309
*you're
Come back to me when you learnt English.
>>
>>8139549
*Come back to me when you have learned English.

Come back to him when you have learned English.
>>
>>8139554
>*Come back to me when you have learned English.
Come back to him when you have learned English.
>>
>>8139556
>Come back to him when you have learned English.
Come back to me when you have learned English.
>>
File: listenson.png (720 KB, 712x657) Image search: [Google]
listenson.png
720 KB, 712x657
>>8139559
>>8139556
>>8139554
>>8139549
Stop this memeage RIGHT now
>>
Can the dude with the 79 IQ stop posting for a few minutes? Thanks.
>>
File: 1420825075913.jpg (539 KB, 1059x906) Image search: [Google]
1420825075913.jpg
539 KB, 1059x906
>>8139562
sry dad
>>
>>8139573
His son is nowna woman and is sleeping with a black man?
>>
>>8139609
The times they are a-changin'.
>>
File: 1464900552515.jpg (117 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1464900552515.jpg
117 KB, 600x900
>>8139609
>>
I'm writing a fantasy epic where cute 13 year olds go on adventures

Is there still a market for that? Or should I throw in a rape or three to make it more appealing to modern readers?
>>
>>8139637
YA fiction, boring.

Bring in some twist. Like the 13 year olds come together and rape a 10 year old girl every night.
>>
File: 1465272921771.jpg (47 KB, 721x875) Image search: [Google]
1465272921771.jpg
47 KB, 721x875
>>8139631
They sure are.
>>
File: reaper_man.jpg (28 KB, 693x1080) Image search: [Google]
reaper_man.jpg
28 KB, 693x1080
Currently reading Reaper Man. I usually read things with a neutral expression but Discworld is the only thing that makes me smile while reading. Is this the comfiest book or what?
>>
>>8139538
Most of those writers are dead too you faggot.
>>
File: 1463217138025.jpg (35 KB, 296x640) Image search: [Google]
1463217138025.jpg
35 KB, 296x640
>>8139642
>Those hips
I want her to sit on my face
>>
>>8139642
Shame about her face.
>>
>>8139631
https://youtu.be/ZDyE6Jzxqk0
>>
>>8139657
>her
>>
>Gormenghast, that is, the main massing of the original stone, taken by itself would have displayed a certain ponderous architectural quality were it possible to have ignored the circumfusion of those mean dwellings that swarmed like an epidemic around its outer walls. They sprawled over the sloping earth, each one halfway over its neighbour until, held back by the castle ramparts, the innermost of these hovels laid hold on the great walls, clamping themselves thereto like limpets to a rock. These dwellings, by ancient law, were granted this chill intimacy with the stronghold that loomed above them. Over their irregular roofs would fall throughout the seasons, the shadows of time-eaten buttresses, of broken and lofty turrets, and, most enormous of all, the shadow of the Tower of Flints. This tower, patched unevenly with black ivy, arose like a mutilated finger from among the fists of knuckled masonry and pointed blasphemously at heaven. At night the owls made of it an echoing throat; by day it stood voiceless and cast its long shadow.

YAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNN
>>
File: Avoid All Of These Authors.png (2 MB, 948x1244) Image search: [Google]
Avoid All Of These Authors.png
2 MB, 948x1244
>>8139775
>he thinks the dinosaur meme started for no reason
>>
>>8139673
shame about authenticity of the photo
>>
>>8139775
Wow that's really fucking cool.

Picked up
>>
>>8139781
>Lock In
Officially triggered.
>>
>>8139638
what happens if you actually go into detail in fucking
child rape
and children raping children
how would you even go about that
who the fuck publishes that
>>
>>8139799
You've got to be already a popular well established author before you even attempt anything remotely like that.
>>
>>8139799
It's other children doing it so it's fine.

I also thought about the alternative, where a bunch of children come together and kidnap a 20 year old girl or so and keep her in their dungeon to fuck every night.

That would be awesome!
>>
>>8139805
children didnt go into detail about the child rape
I did
>>
>>8139805
It's the next progressive thing, few degeneracies stay unaccepted right now, we must go further.
>>
>>8139806
It's fiction, who cares. It's not like you have to fuck real children to know how children have sex or whatever. Didn't you know Stephen King has a child orgy in one of his books?
>>
>>8139812
does he go into detail
>>
>>8139781
I don't get this one. Is this a rouse playing on the credibility of image-collections or are you genuinly trying to inform people on avoiding these books?
I can understand making collections of things you'd recommend to others but what's the point of makin a list of the books you wouldn't recommend? You don't even explain what about these particular books warrants a 'stay away' sign.
>>
What are your favorite /sffg/ movie adaptations?
>>
File: 1465216217802.jpg (92 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1465216217802.jpg
92 KB, 1000x1000
>>8137118
>>8137863
>>8137913
>>8137929
>>8137970

That was a copypasta lads
>>
Is William Gibson underrated?
>>
>>8139875
That's the best part.

>>8139877
No? If anything he's overrated. His fetishism is so prevalent throughout his work It borders on disgusting.
>>
>>8139894
Fetishism? I've only read Hinterlands and quite liked it. So I was thinking of picking up some other stuff.
>>
Hello, /sff/, need help with New Sun. Just received the second half from Amazon. I read the first half once and just gleaned the main plot from it. I was thinking of giving it a re-read before delving into part 2.

How exactly should I approach my rereading of the New Sun to gain an understanding for the hidden and implied stuff?
>>
>>8139959
I find that inserting a dildo into my butt helps, my reading comprehension skyrockets from the usual 100% to an inhumane 500%. Perhaps try it out.
>>
File: 17910124.jpg (59 KB, 316x475) Image search: [Google]
17910124.jpg
59 KB, 316x475
Has anyone read this? Is it any good?
>>
>>8139959
Read the Bible, The Catholic Catechism and Pope Benedict XVI's Jesus of Nazareth Trilogy.
>>
>>8139976
Yes. One of the better modern books.
>>
>>8139977
Does someone with no idea of Christian beliefs and history have any hope of deciphering new sun?
>>
>>8140001
Yes.
>>
>>8139785
I know yall shit on Scalzi, but I liked Lock in. Never read old man's war though.
>>
>>8139814
Is that a question or a statement?
>>
File: 1465218191534.png (206 KB, 1233x957) Image search: [Google]
1465218191534.png
206 KB, 1233x957
>>8139814
Fuck off pedophile faggot
>>
>>8140029
what do you think
>>
>>8139839
People say stay away from Rothfuss, Brent Weeks and Sanderson all the time. Never gives a reason. No one asks them why. Why are you asking me now?
>>
File: Modern Fant Recs.jpg (2 MB, 1956x2329) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fant Recs.jpg
2 MB, 1956x2329
>>8139976
>newfag asking newfag questions
Time for the list.

I would like to add Hull 3 Zero to the recommendation, maybe Iron Dragon's Daughter, it has a strong start and flow and had me hooked, but certain parts had my enjoyment needle dropping. Well see if I will fully endorse.
>>
>>8140034
A statement.
>>
File: 1465119150022.png (928 KB, 743x809) Image search: [Google]
1465119150022.png
928 KB, 743x809
>>8140053
>Iron Dragon's Daughter

When will this meme die
>>
>>8139877
No. The only way he'd be underrated would be if he was completely forgotten.
>>8140001
Yes, but it's primarily a religious work, so knowing the essentials will help you read it right.
There are certain misguided naturalist readings out there as well as marxist, so keep in mind it's profoundly Catholic.
>>8140059
When I read it and determine if it's actually good, which honestly won't be too soon.
>>
>>8140059
I am not the guy shilling it. I am the guy that was shilled into reading it, and far it's enjoyable.

It mixes magic and technology, so if that anon who asked for books that mix magic and tech in the last thread is still here, this is one.

Also
>dat pic
Are you the pedophile? Do you threaten little girls by telling them you will shoot the bear if they don't cooperate?
>>
>>8140077
>Are you the pedophile? Do you threaten little girls by telling them you will shoot the bear if they don't cooperate?

No, it's just a spicy reaction pic I like to use
>>
File: the ol' spicy keychain.jpg (242 KB, 845x1036) Image search: [Google]
the ol' spicy keychain.jpg
242 KB, 845x1036
>>8140081
>spicy
Are you fucking 12?
You have to be 18 to use this site.
>>
File: 1463774134211.png (73 KB, 800x750) Image search: [Google]
1463774134211.png
73 KB, 800x750
>>8140089
>Implying using 12-year-old terms isn't the point of the joke
>not getting all the layers of irony in my posts

pleb
>>
File: 159-chin_stroking.jpg (25 KB, 280x390) Image search: [Google]
159-chin_stroking.jpg
25 KB, 280x390
Is fantasy with an overreaching message better?
>>
>>8140055
if you look at the context
and the conversation we just had
its me asking you questions
and you answering them
suddenly you ask if its a question or not
youre fucking retarded
and so are (you)>>8140033
free reply for u sir you pleb
the question wether he goes into detail or not and you call me "pedo" lol
fucking americans
so he fucking does and you're too embarrassed to have read it to actually know you just heard a fucking friend tell you that there's a "scene" of pedophilia in a book and you dont have the answer which is so simple, did the artist go into detail of perverseness or did he not.
Jesus christ
>>
>>8140228
It depends how subtle and well-done it is. For every Tolkien there's 10 Mieville's.
>>
File: 1464897285758.gif (2 MB, 400x332) Image search: [Google]
1464897285758.gif
2 MB, 400x332
>>8140236
Yes, he goes into detail of it.

The little girl describes how each of the boys' cocks feel

Now purge yourself you genetic dead end.
>>
>>8140242
I love the comparison, well done anon
>>
File: shades of grey by fforde.jpg (177 KB, 751x1176) Image search: [Google]
shades of grey by fforde.jpg
177 KB, 751x1176
This was a very fun read in my opinion. The color based dystopia, and I love a good dystopia, is masterfully crafted. The absurdity of it and the way people live and act in it is pretty good. The spoon shortage and other things aren't that far removed from the truth, as at the end of the Soviet Union plastic shopping bags, chewing gum and other deficit items from the West were venerated and coveted here.

More fun than the color based dystopia in Red Rising and with better characters, in my opinion.

Thanks, whoever talked about it a few threads ago.
Any other good books from the same author?
>>
>>8139645
Pretty comfy, yes.
>>
>>8140236
> it's only me and another anon in the entire 4chins, no one can ask me questions other than the one other anon.
Okay
>>
>>8139645
Terry was a god of comfiness desu.

Although if you're autistic like me and feel the need to take every fictional world seriously DW might read like grimdark fiction.
>>
>>8140037
But they do give a reason, usually all you need is ask. Rothfuss is bland wish fulfillment, Sanderson is YA anime MMO wannabe and I don't remember what Brent was.
>>
File: 1458071021204.png (185 KB, 486x243) Image search: [Google]
1458071021204.png
185 KB, 486x243
https://youtu.be/HnOoz8bb4UA
Looks like Rothfuss has a case of the Tingles.

I kinda want to be his friend
>>
>>8136911
Is this a reference to that one person who wanted "pregnancy" as a major theme in her novel?
>>
File: 1462646726392.gif (646 KB, 512x481) Image search: [Google]
1462646726392.gif
646 KB, 512x481
>>8140301
Spot on famalam
>>
>>8140301
What's wrong with that as a theme? Ain't the best fantasy related one, where fantastic elements benefit it at all, but why not?
I mean Margaret Atwood has already written worse stuff, how bad can this be?
>>
>>8140312
shut up.
You dont want that discussion.
We already had it and I can telly you it was the worst shitposting I have ever seen.
>>
>>8140331
Tbh it was less annoying than women can't write little girl protagonist nonsense because it was only one thread.
>>
>>8140344
>it was only one thread.
Hopefully it will stay that way.
>>
Any science fiction with a little girl protagonist?
>>
>>8140349
I just skimmed through it all. It didn't seem terrible, just boring as fuck.

On the other note, halfway through Return to the Whorl.
Fuck if I know what's going on
>>
>>8140331
It's too bad. An anon, however misguided, posts a sincere attempt at discussion and shitposters had an epileptic episode. Granted it should have been phrased as more question than opinion (Zeus forbid!).
>>
File: 1464970834202.jpg (131 KB, 960x686) Image search: [Google]
1464970834202.jpg
131 KB, 960x686
>>8140364
>(Zeus forbid!).

We reddit now
>>
File: 8a9.jpg (169 KB, 1300x970) Image search: [Google]
8a9.jpg
169 KB, 1300x970
>Plato's republic has a lower rating that ASOIAF on Goodreads

Remember to not take that shit seriously lads
>>
File: tips.jpg (26 KB, 213x237) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
26 KB, 213x237
>>8140415
Are you trying to sound intelligent?
>>
>>8140427
Are you?
>>
>>8140415
>Boring book rated lower than fun book
Working as intended.
>>
File: 1458217556933-0.jpg (3 KB, 320x140) Image search: [Google]
1458217556933-0.jpg
3 KB, 320x140
>>8140440
>fun
>book
>>
>>8139809
>eventually, we evolve to the point where there's a furry guild that's also taken seriously, like in BotNS
>>
>>8140543
Do I finally have a reason to read BotNS?
>>
>>8140301
I want to see the original real bad
>>
So I am relatively new to reading, one big issue I have is visualizing what I am reading.

I googled around and settled on The Way of Kings, and The Lies of Locke Lamora as my first books of choice

I found it moderately easy to visualize most of Sanderson's works(and the maps helped too) But I felt like a genuine retard trying to picture Camorr from TLOLL in my head

Any tips on improving this?
>>
File: 1444270899185.gif (2 MB, 425x481) Image search: [Google]
1444270899185.gif
2 MB, 425x481
>>8140650
Hitting u right up famalam

One thing, as a woman, that bothers me. Is the lack of disturbance towards the concept of pregnancy in novels. Seriously, it's like nobody considers it. Especially given how little of a choice there was in the far past towards our rights and unwillingness. It's terrible body horror shit. It's demeaning, dehumanizing, it fucks up what you look like forever. It breaks your pelvis in microfractures. It's just, awful through and through with some positive elements.

But I don't like how it isn't explored, demeaning and dehumanizing labor we have no choice but to be put through is a concept I don't that's ever been handeled well or properly. Maybe it's me, it's a deep seated fear of not being understood, that men's desires for heirs in the past, or just their mindless desires in the present, override our own autonomy and emotions towards them, making you feel like you don't see in them what they see in you.

I don't know what I'm saying. I just wish women weren't constantly written as "Men! But different!", and not facing the grimey slimey disturbing bullshit dealt with is. Or how we're forced into believing its acceptable after shock and sobbing of it wear off as a child, for some people, and for many people, it doesn't wear off. This was even more prevalent in the past I'm assuming given the lack of choice involved.

It arguably makes less sense than some of the parodies
>>
>>8140600
If you didn't already for it's reputation, then I don't think so. I'm only in the first book, but the guild where the members marry animals only appears briefly mentioned in a paragraph or two.
>>
>>8140693
They don't fuck them I think.
It's such a side note it's hard to tell.
>>8140656
Pictures usually arise from the writing, no maps necessary.
>>
anybody has a link to scrapped princess light novel?
>>
>>8140657
That's not a bad point actually.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.