[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Literary Confession Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 17
File: 1464826447852.gif (732 KB, 500x240) Image search: [Google]
1464826447852.gif
732 KB, 500x240
Literary Confession Thread
>>
I think the opening chapter to Atlas Shrugged is the best one I've ever read.
>>
Fuck Catholics
>>
I think DFW is one of the worst authors that I've read.
>>
>>8134583

Y senpai
>>
>>8134583
tribune of the plebs
>>
I don't like a lot of Tao Lin's work, but "Tai Pei" is actually pretty good. It feels like he worked extra hard on it, or something like that, but for whatever reason the iciness and alienation comes across very poignantly and strongly in the story. I really do think Tai Pei is a great book, and if our generation has to have a book to express its zeitgeist, I wouldn't mind Tai Pei being it.
>>
>>8134592
I disagree, I'm reading IJ atm and there's definitely some good stuff in there. What do you consider patrician in comparison? Serious answer please.
>>
>>8134574
Hemmmmmmingway is a decent author.

Zettels Traum is harder than Finnegans Wake.

Ezra Pound is the greatest poet to ever live.

Harold Bloom is a pleb.

Tolstoy was the only good russian author.
>>
>>8134612
>has never read Pushkin

Stay pleb, faggot.
>>
Forgive me, I touch myself to the sublime form of the female and have lustful thoughts of being with a harem of ultimate pleasure and perfection. Sometimes I lie to avoid embarrassment, like what grades I score on some assignments that I lazily avoid doing.
>>
>>8134622
Lol I will never understand why people ask what others got on an exam or an assignment.

>Ay mayne what did u get
>>
>>8134622
repent
>>
I've read 7 books and only Tequilla Mockingbird can be considered a classic.
>>
America is currently the greatest literary nation in the world, even accounting for 'marginalized' literature from the third world and the global south. The failure of Europeans to acknowledge this is nothing but asshurt.
>>
>>8134662
He said the "sublime form of the female," not some ugly 3D skank
>>
>>8134662
i bet that chick is a complete pain in the ass
>>
>>8134697
no need to be rude anon
>>
>>8134696
That isn't a confession; it's a fact, anon.
>>
>>8134724
god i want to crush her self esteem
>>
>>8134724
I like the jewels under her eyes, but she'd still be better if she were in the anime art style
>>
>>8134683
>>
I like the Beats way more than they deserve to be liked.

>>8134696
truth: the post

>>8134578
Fuck you too.
>>
>>8134696
>>8134730
^ Amerifat autists chiming in
>>
>>8134600
Do I even need to say it?
>>
>>8134574
I said I finished a book on goodreads, but I didn't actually finish it.
>>
>>8134612

Fair call.

Probably correct.

You haven't read enough poetry.

I disagree.

You should read Turgenev.
>>
>>8134696

>mediocre "our culture is money and freedum" dimwits who convinced themselves they could build anything while disregarding any substantial cultural base
>greatest literary anything

Then again mouthbreathing US trash reading nothing other than US writers and Dostoyevsky are the bread and butter of /lit/.
>>
>>8134600
I like some of his short stories and his poetry interesting, at the very least.
>>
>>8135100
also, I like Ann Beattie.
>>
>>8134612

This is the confessions thread, not the opinions thread.
>>
It's been a few years since I read a book all the way through.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I'm impressed by Ann Rice's knowledge of geography
>>
>>8134574
I'm only halfway through a book I started three months ago. The book is only about 250 pages long and not a difficult read by any means. I've been reading like ten pages a week.
>>
File: 1454160054158.gif (1 MB, 303x307) Image search: [Google]
1454160054158.gif
1 MB, 303x307
>>8134574
I started with the germans
>>
I think about papercuts on peeholes.
>>
>>8134574
I only read two pages of Finnegans Wake yesterday.
>>
I have never read Catcher in the Rye, and I don't know if I want to.
>>
>>8135915
It's an alright book. I think the rambling narration would work better if it was read aloud in an audiobook.
>>
I'm worried about my protagonist being enjoyable to read about. He's off on a quest to research his childhood and he has a side job with prostituting women.

And he abandons both of those things to chase a mysterious monster around out of revenge.
>>
I wrote fanfiction.
>>
>>8136514
So did Dante. No need to be ashamed.
>>
>>8136520

I wrote BAD fanfiction.
>>
File: 51WbDmPBxJL.jpg (56 KB, 324x500) Image search: [Google]
51WbDmPBxJL.jpg
56 KB, 324x500
>>8134574
I read this
I thought it was fabulous
and I masturbated several times while reading it
>>
File: 51UcGitIGqL.jpg (37 KB, 401x500) Image search: [Google]
51UcGitIGqL.jpg
37 KB, 401x500
>>8136608
And I'm probably going to buy this on the day it is released too

No regrets
>>
>>8136592
Many of us have, friend.

Did you ever write any explicit sex-fics, 'lemons' as they used to be called?
>>
>>8136618
Yes.
With Aragorn.
And a lady orc.
>>
>>8136627
Fantastic. Was it rape?
>>
>>8134574
I always read this as "literally" and the realization of why that is kills me a little inside each time.
>>
>>8136646
No.
>>
>>8136615
>>8136608
go for it anon

>>8136646
I write the ayn rand sex fanfiction you sometimes see in ayn rand threads
>>
>>8136757

Post it
>>
>>8136646
Oh, so Aragorn seduced the orc lady and they had a healthy relationship.
>>
>>8136704

The total overuse of the term by mouthbreathers to the point it has come to signify both itself as well as its opposite?
>>
I have about 60 books on my shelf and I've only read 8 of them.
>>
>>8136776
I don't save them, I make them up on the spot. It's a good writing exercise and a way to ease myself from a literary mood to a masturbation mood.
>>
>>8136785
And that by now I use it that way myself, because that is how language works. And I know that. It still feels like a loss.
>>
>>8135087
This. America is a literary and all round cultural embarrassment. The only country to go from barbarism to decadence with no civilisation in between
>>
>>8134971
I did that once.
>>
>>8134971
you're allowed one per year
>>
I will usually read around a half dozen books at once and oftentimes not finish some of them due to being preoccupied with one or two that I'm especially enamoured with. I have a bunch of books on my shelf that I've only read part of. I don't really ever get the plots mixed up, but I'll often put one or two of these books down for so long that when I finally come back to them I need to start over. I've read the first half of Catch-22 so often that every time I come back to it I don't know what part I'm at, since I've practically memorized the first half of the book. I rarely use bookmarks either (although I occasionally do, if I bother grabbing one when I start the book [I don't ever use random bits of paper however; I always use dedicated bookmarks, although they don't need to say anything specific on them]).
>>
I never started with the Greeks and probably won't. Although I love Greek food, women and cheese I won't read their shit.
Read Zorba the Greek tho to impress a girl
>>
>>8134574
shakespeare is an unenjoyable and overrated hack that the british still try to convince everyone through academia that he is some kind of genius. he had a style, and wrote with pedestrian ideas. he is nothing but a faggot, and the schools need to stop forcing their post colonial classics down our throats.
>>
>>8138075
Fuck off, Shakespeare is indispensable.
>>
>>8138075
>t. 12 year old contrarian
>>
posting to see if F A M still filters as "desu"

senpai
>>
>>8138075
>I'm in high school and teach is making me read old shit
>why can't we discuss Game of Thrones instead
>>
>>8138215
shit I forgot it's T B H who filters as desu
guess f a m still filters tho
>>
>>8134574
I don't know if I'm just retarded but I read The Myth of Sisyphus and some parts were just gibberish to me. I didn't really understood certain points like how passion is a result of absurdity. If someone asked me what the general idea of the book is I wouldn't be able to answer clearly.

Maybe I need to read it again.
>>
>>8134574
I haven't read any of the meme trilogy and never plan to

I also don't own a single book written by a woman
>>
File: 1418577998314.jpg (46 KB, 317x379) Image search: [Google]
1418577998314.jpg
46 KB, 317x379
>>8134574
I've never read a book
>>
>>8134574
I reread Twilight when I was younger because I can enjoy someone heavily inserting themselves and wish fulfillment in my special way. It's the equivalent of watching a bad movie to make fun of it.
>>
>>8136797
That's more progress than I've made.
>>
i hate pynchon and think dfw is better
>>
File: eye.png (64 KB, 247x223) Image search: [Google]
eye.png
64 KB, 247x223
>>8138351
>i hate pynchon
>>
File: 1465349027211.png (66 KB, 247x223) Image search: [Google]
1465349027211.png
66 KB, 247x223
>>8138351
>i hate pynchon
>>
>>8134574
I hated every second of Walden and Anna Karenina.
Also, Ender's Game a shit.
I unironically enjoyed the Hunger Games series.
>>
>>8138367
sorry i just hate your 'literature', nothing personnel
>>
>>8134604
he doesn't know because he didnt read it at all, just another memer
>>
>>8134574
I like Murakami.
>>
>>8138375
You are a pleb, but if you enjoyed Hungry Games you might want to check out the Gregor books

It's by the same author and very similar, it's about this kid who lives in New York and when he wants to do the laundry he accidentally ventures into an underground country where pale people live who never see the sun, and all the animals are gigantic and they have to fight giant rats with swords while they ride on bats

The similarities are in the style and the thing where in Hungry Games, especially the last one, you have a group of characters wander about dangerous territory where they encounter all kinds of traps and shit and they have to watch close friends and relatives get murdered in horrible ways or sacrifice themselves and all that, and then he goes back home between books and feels all horrible about not being able to go to the local swimming pool because his body has creepy scars all over, it's similar to the whole "but i shot someone with my bow" memery from Hunger Games
Compared to Hungry Games the romance aspects are underdeveloped
>>
I read best while at the park or beach. I usually find someplace away from people where I can sit down in the grass and shade and read my book in peace. This is why I always read the most books in the summertime.
>>
>>8138075
how is shakespeare post colonial? he's pre colonial if anything
>>
>>8139584
don't encourage him anon
>>
>>8138075
I unironically agree
>>
I used to read tons of books, but life got busy and I only enjoy immediate gratification things now, and havent read a single book this year. Feels bad, all I enjoy are big literary giants but they take so long and so much effort to read. The most enjoyable book I've read recently, the end of last year, was Heart of Darkness
>>
>>8140040
I had this for a while.
The way I got back into it was with something easy (Kafka on the Shore, not great lit but it was interesting enough to read on) and on my phone so I could read more easily on the go/in bed.
YMMV, but I'd recommend not starting directly with a Faust.
>>
Pretty much everything I write is basically anime.
>>
John Green is a genius. He knows how to appeal to teen girls and exploits the fuck out of it for fat stacks of cash.
>>
Forcing children to read "classic literature" in schools only deters kids from reading altogether.
>>
>>8141153
No, it just filters out the plebs early on.
>>
>>8140040
Read something accessable then, like some David Mitchell or some Orwell. Something easier to read to get back into it.
>>
>>8141148
youre not wrong
>>
>>8141153
I had a teacher start reading The Executioner's Song. The students seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. Though I think they only were half way through when the board forced him to stop teaching it.
>>
File: 73933619.jpg (47 KB, 680x797) Image search: [Google]
73933619.jpg
47 KB, 680x797
>>8134574
I spent a week "reading" Atlas Shrugged but really I was getting high every single day and looking at each line without taking in any meaning at all.

I got nothing out of that book but I flipped through every page and if people ask I'll say I read it.
>>
>>8141153
what are you confessing here
>>
>>8136592
So did Dante
>>
>>8139525
Cute blog post
>>
Kafka on the shore is one of my favourite books.
>>
I have had a blank Scrivener document (yes I bought meme software) on my computer for about a week, and I continue to lie to people that I'm writing.

End me.
>>
>>8141682
Scrivener is a good program.
>>
>>8134574
I dont even read I just come here to make fun of people's clearly entry level taste, who still somehow have a superiority complex even though theyre literally /tv/ tier
>>
>>8134577
There's only one opening chapter to Atlas Shrugged, you dolt, of course it's the best you ever read.
>>
>>8142334
This guy
>>
>>8134574
I a mask.
>>
File: 1452190356111.jpg (115 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1452190356111.jpg
115 KB, 600x900
>>8134574

I used to really like Joseph Cambell.

Now I know he's a turd.

What a waste.
>>
1. I read books above my head and beat myself up about it
2. Brothers k was boring except for ivans madness and speech (I did read garnett translation though)
3. I'm not qualified to dispense opinions about literature but do frequently
4. I want to write but never do
5. Suttree kicks ass
6. I mostly only read postmodern novels about death and technology
7. I'd take lebron over jordan any day srs
>>
>>8142512
>. I'm not qualified to dispense opinions about literature but do frequently
t. everyone on /lit/
>>
>>8134574

Submission is probably the most enjoyable read I've ever had, and he honestly half-convinced me that Islam might be the only solution to the decline of the West (even though that wasn't his intention at all).

My ex-girlfriend gave me some special signed copy of The Fault in Our Stars and I burned it while we were still together.

I'm studying American literature as part of an interdisciplinary degree but I actually really dislike a lot of the shit we're reading. I find myself really driven towards Japanese lit post Meiji Reformation, any obscure recs?

The first book I was ever memed by /lit/ on was A Confederacy of Dunces. There was no artistic payoff and while some of the jokes made me crack a smirk, I never actually enjoyed it.
>>
My be illiterate
>>
>>8142545
Well, what American lit are you reading
>>
I own and enjoy most of Stephen Kings books
>>
>>8142589

Here's the course description:

>It is Paris, 1925, and you are seated in La Dome, a popular Parisian café situated on the Left Bank with a fellow exchange student from New Jersey. It is a time of malaise and a time of great cultural change, and the old mores of society are undergoing enormous change at an exhilarating pace. Europe, devastated by the Great War, struggles to rebuild all around you. One U.S. dollar buys you twenty-two French francs, and allows you to live cheaply in the French capital where cultural attractions abound and a variety of European avant-gardes that will later form the backbone of European Modernism have begun to flourish. You hear the raucous sounds of the new age, the Jazz Age, coming over the wireless. You and your friend linger over your coffee, discussing a novel that, although banned in the U.S. and England, has nevertheless set the literary world both on fire and on its ear. That novel is Ulysses, and its pages drip with an eroticism and a zest for experimentation too powerful for any budding writer to ignore. You look up, and see a familiar face from your childhood in New Jersey entering the café with a man whose gait betrays the fact that his eyesight is failing him. The familiar face belongs to Sylvia Beach, the visionary responsible for publishing the very novel that you and your friend have been discussing. A quiet frenzy grips the room. People begin to point in her direction, and the couple seated next to you stirs with excitement. You overhear their loud whispering: "C'est lui! L'homme de l'Irlande qui a écrit Ulysses!" You notice two other Americans. They don't look like friends, but they are seated together. They seem irritated that the room is in a twitter, but their faces betray an enormous respect for (and maybe even a jealousy of) the man on Beach's arm, the man with the bad eyesight who your friend now recognizes as none other than James Joyce. Slowly, he makes his way over to the table where the two Americans are seated. They exchange pleasantries, and you hear more whispers: "L'homme à la barbe est nommé Ernest Hemingway et la plus petite est nommé F. Scott Fitzgerald. " Your friend is star struck, but you've been to this café before and know that this is nothing unusual. In fact, you are used to seeing the faces of people like Pablo Picasso, Igor Stravinsky, and Gertrude Stein. This is where they hang out. The Americans will soon be known to the French as part of the "Generation de Feu," and, back home, they will become famous as part of "The Lost Generation."

(Pt. 1)
>>
>>8142545
wouldn't be so sure that it wasn't h00lbecq's intention
>>
>>8142589
>>8142648

This course serves as an introduction to both James Joyce and to two of the most popular and influential American novelists of the twentieth century, F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway. We will begin the course by focusing great care on selections from Joyce's Ulysses and then shift our attention to four novels that helped to usher in a new era in American literature known as Modernism: Hemingway's In Our Time (1924) and The Sun Also Rises (1926) and Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby (1925) and Tender is the Night (1934). We will situate these works in terms of Joyce's influence, but also in light of short works by (and about) other members of "The Lost Generation." We will explore issues of aesthetics, politics, sexuality and much more. We will occupy our own seats in La Dome, and investigate this flowering of American culture (and English-language literature) that, for some reason, could only take place in Paris.

(Pt. 2)

Ulysses? Beautiful. I read it over Christmas break in anticipation for discussing it during the Spring, but it felt all sort of forced in to the course, like the professor had wanted to teach a course on Joyce but was pigeonholed into teaching Hemingway and Fitzgerald instead.

>Not to mention a class I can take for my major is a critical study of Beyonce and that there is an ENTIRE COURSE dedicated solely to Hemingway

Can I please die yet?
>>
>>8142668
Hemmy and Fitz are both great authors though. Read their short stories
>>
>>8134662
Everytime I see that picture she gets uglier.
>>
>>8142718

They're alright; I certainly won't dismiss them as much as others on this board. But I had already read a great deal of Fitzgerald in High School, especially Gatsby (which was one of the focuses of the course), and I gleaned nothing new than what I had four years ago.

You also have to understand that I had to read Hemingway's prose directly after, and relating to Joyce's prose. I understand Hemingway's style, and the sort of purpose toward that style of prose, but it's not even close to a competition. Perhaps that contributed to my disappointment with Hemingway, but I definitely think my disappointment stretches deeper than that.

Again, a lot of the American literature I've been reading throughout my courses I just haven't enjoyed. Some of the 18th century works were worth reading over again, especially Melville and Crane, but on the whole I find myself moreinterested in other canons than the American one.
>>
>>8134724
I can't honestly believe there's people on this board who wouldn't bang this chick. What's the problem? You're not marrying hey and she's not having your children.
>>
>>8135239
and how does that make you feel anon?
>>
some days i spend more time on /lit/ than i do actually reading
some days i don't actually read at all
>>
>>8142788

She can have my children, I'm just not going to have anything to do with them.
>>
>>8137965
your fear of commitment has even reached your reading habits, reconsider life desu
>>
>>8138229
camus is shit better go read stirner or freddy if you're into the choose your own adventure philosophy
>>
I like the princess diaries books desu
>>
I don't read nearly as much as i should
>>
>>8142668
take the beyonce class and let your last submission be your suicide note blaming the cultural decline of America
>>
File: rare photo.jpg (69 KB, 500x431) Image search: [Google]
rare photo.jpg
69 KB, 500x431
Non-whites can't into antinatalism. People joke and say that first world problems aren't important compared to third world problems but they have that backwards. I was about to say that third world problems are the problems of animals, but that isn't exactly true: animals can usually take care of food, water, shelter, but these subs (shorthand term for subhumans) can't. How is it an important problem that a large group of "people" (keep in mind that not everything with a face is a human) still cannot figure out how to plan more than 5 minutes into the future past muh dik/cunt/drugs? That's why I go hiking in the forest, there is nothing for these people to rape, smoke, or steal, so it is peaceful. My only friends are the smartest men who ever lived: Schop, Emil, Zapffe, Wellbeck. The peak of ancient wisdom was from Silenus and it has been downhill since then. The only "good" person to exist would be someone who would destroy every living thing in the universe and then kill himself.
>>
>>8142829

Already considering it, bro. Student loans are going to fuck me forever anyways, might as well get those forgiven.
>>
>>8142843

>My only friends are the smartest men who ever lived: Schop, Emil, Zapffe, Wellbeck.

Either an above average shitpost or unintentional comedy gold from a human meme.

Great post. I liked it.
>>
>>8134600
you're wrong, Private Citizens is that book
>>
>>8142843
Non-whites from third world countries have a much smaller ecological footprint, so they can afford to have high fertility.
>>
>I only learned today that Gaddis and Gass are different people
>>
>>8142946
Did you read the introduction of The Recognitions?
>>
>>8134574
I only read on the toilet.

Banged out most the western canon on the shitter.
>>
>>8138075
Try reading King Lear or Hamlet later in life. They are fucking great.
>>
>>8142948
I didn't read any of their works
>>
>>8142417
iktf bruh
>>
>>8142843
Is this a pasta?
>>
>>8134574
i listen to a lot of audiobooks.
>>
>>8138264
me too, brother
>>
File: 1450745216108.gif (4 MB, 347x244) Image search: [Google]
1450745216108.gif
4 MB, 347x244
>>8141467
underrated
>>
File: allenginsberg.jpg (112 KB, 1000x594) Image search: [Google]
allenginsberg.jpg
112 KB, 1000x594
Howl is my favorite poem
>>
File: Shhh.jpg (22 KB, 215x279) Image search: [Google]
Shhh.jpg
22 KB, 215x279
I may be the best poster here
>>
>>8134574
I don't understand Ulysses and Dunsany is my favourite author.
>>
I browse this board but literally only read fantasy and sci-fi because I'm too stupid to understand anything more complex. I'm also too lazy to read most of the time.
>>
I think writers are born and made by things outside of their control; genes of a particular kind of genius, and the affection of particular kinds of circumstances
>>
>>8139525
How do you sit down in a way that is actually comfortable for a longer period of time?
>>
>>8134574
I've dropped "One hundred years of solitude" because it seemed to me to be a shitty soap opera.
>>
>>8143651
Read autumn of the patriarch instead. Much better imo
>>
I haven't read the meme trilogy
I haven't fully read the greeks
>>
>>8143450
This is quite dumb

To be a good writer you need to read a lot, practice your writing and live your life outside of the capitalist hug bubble.
>>
>>8142545
> burning a signed copy of one of the most popular YA novels of our time

You dumb motherfucker, do you realise how much you could've made on eBay?
>>
>>8143802
Doesn't matter how much a person without natural talent practices, they'll never be beyond mediocre

> outside of the capitalist hug bubble

This is covered with "particular circumstances"
>>
File: The Squid and The Whale.jpg (29 KB, 400x295) Image search: [Google]
The Squid and The Whale.jpg
29 KB, 400x295
I only became interested in literature after watching pic related.
Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.