[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Easy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 409.med.jpg (86 KB, 560x747) Image search: [Google]
409.med.jpg
86 KB, 560x747
I find it hard to read books in english because english is not my first language so every book i try to read i lose track because of the mysterious weird words
What books can i start read that has a simpler language and have a decent story too?
Pic unrelated
>>
File: penguin[1].gif (7 KB, 143x200) Image search: [Google]
penguin[1].gif
7 KB, 143x200
my first english book was Tom Clancy's Teeth of the Tiger. i picked it up in sainsbury's, when i was road-tripping through england , they were selling used books for charity. it was 50 penny each so i was like "why the fuck not, ive never read anything in english, so i might as well start". suprisingly, i had almost no trouble reading that book at all
look for the penguin, it means the bok is written in easy english
>>
>>8131406
also, having the oxford english dictionary while reading english cant hurt
>>
>>8131409
i tried to read a clockwork orange and the first page has many old word references that i can keep up
every 3 lines i google for a word
thanks anyway i will read Tom Clancy's Teeth of the Tiger
>>
>>8131411
"A clockwork orange" is very hard to read because of the language used in there. Tbh every Athony Burgess' work isn't easy desu. Anyway, try something easy like some Stephen King shit, for example "Body"
>>
The only books I read until I was 12 were Captain Underpants, so maybe Captain Underpants.

But then again I'm a native speaker so idk. My German professor suggests children's lit to her students, so why not?
>>
>>8131417
>>8131419
thanks guys
how about kafka translated novels language?
>>
>>8131425
No idea, but try something easy, something normie tier
>>
>>8131425

Wouldn't suggest Kafka tbqh. The translators work hard to capture the nuance and precision of the original German so it leads to some difficult sentences.

What you're looking for is not serious (western canon, what this board might call "patrician") literature, I hate to say it.

Maybe the Bourne series? Try to find slightly more substantial pop novels. Tom Clancy was a good suggestion.
>>
I personally started reading in english with simple fantasy stuff as a teen. Try Tolkien and CS Lewis maybe?

>>8131411
If you can't recognize a word, look it up. Whenever I read Shakespeare I keep a tab with Merriam-Webster opened. It might annoy you at first but it's probably the best way to expand your vocabulary and develop an ear for the language.

By the way, I've heard that A Clockwork Orange uses many neologisms, so its difficulty shouldn't surprise you.
>>
>>8131411
aco isnt english, its english-russian-polish, very interesting read i must say
>>
>>8131364
Go with Orwell
>>
lit is the most helpful community on the internet
>>
Read some comics. At least that's what I did when I was a kid, I'm not a native speaker but I had a couple of imported comics which really helped me learn.
>>
>>8131364
I think Hemingway is pretty simplistic, not necessarily that exciting, but still good.
>>
Animal Farm is pretty easy.
>>
You also might wanna watch tv-shows, if you do watch them, in english with english subtitles. It helps with your overall language skills.
>>
I got a kindle and it is so easy to check words I don't know on it. Just try some stuff out, get books from library and if it's too hard then drop it. What I have found to be decently easy reads, but not too easy so I can learn the language better have been
Of mice and men
The little prince
Stoner
The catcher in the rye
Harry Potters
Stephen King books are good for learning too.
Good luck :)
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.