[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, could anyone suggest some good books on christian esoterics.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: 1452771183485.jpg (533 KB, 600x854) Image search: [Google]
1452771183485.jpg
533 KB, 600x854
Hey guys, could anyone suggest some good books on christian esoterics. I'm interested in allegories/symbolic/parabolic texts in general, so feel free to share anything related. Thanks :)
>>
For general esotericism I suggest Manly P. Hall's The Secret Teachings of All Ages.

For early Gnostic Christianity, anything by Elaine Pagels is good.
>>
File: Urizen.jpg (274 KB, 1024x976) Image search: [Google]
Urizen.jpg
274 KB, 1024x976
>>8131249
That picture is not god, by the way, but Urizen, William Blake's Demiurge.
>>
File: book_of_urizen_copy_g_plate_11.jpg (111 KB, 478x691) Image search: [Google]
book_of_urizen_copy_g_plate_11.jpg
111 KB, 478x691
>>8131249
Let's just make this a Urizen thread instead of more Christian faggotry.
>>
There's no such thing as Christian esoterics.
>>
>>8132929
Because they call their Esoterics Religion, to be better than the competition.
>>
File: 29355345.jpg (9 KB, 317x475) Image search: [Google]
29355345.jpg
9 KB, 317x475
>>8132915
>>8132927
>tfw I came here to make a Blake thread and found this already up

What's a good place to start with his weirdly detailed personal mythology? Only read his most entry-level poems before, but I want to familiarize myself with the mythos before pic related comes out. Is the Book of Urizen "beginner-friendly", for lack of a better word?
>>
>>8132944
What he probably meant was that Christian esoteric traditions are basically all knockoffs of things like gnosticism and kabbalah.
>>
>>8133058

If he probably meant it he should have probably said it.
>>
>>8133240
Christianity is a religion which forbids esoteric practices and sees them as the devil's work.
I meant what I said, no Christian can practice esoterics and no book on esoteric is Christian.
>>
File: s-los.d.p1.300.jpg (1 MB, 2115x2809) Image search: [Google]
s-los.d.p1.300.jpg
1 MB, 2115x2809
>>8133307
Is there a qualitative difference between Esoterics and Religion ?
>>
>>8132927
>that painting

damn
DAMN
>>
>>8133379
Yes.
>>
"The Moravian Bretheren are particularly fascinating. Their leader, Count von Zinzendorf, developed the peculiar doctrine that the wounds of Jesus on the Cross could become the foci for erotic magic. He believed that in erotic rapture his followers could visit the hole in Jesus' side caused by the spear of Longinus (referred to as the `Seitenholchen', or `Little Side Cave'), in the forms of Kreuzluftvoglein (`Little Cross Birds of the Air'), wunderbeinelein (`Little Wonder Bees'), Blutwundenfischlein (`Little Fish of the Bleeding Wound'), Wundertaucherlein (`Little Wonder-Divers'), or Wunderwurmlein (`Little Wonder-Worms')! Incredibly enough, the Moravian Bretheren constituted a fully functioning Masonic order as well, forming the nexus of Zinzendorf's Masonic attempts to create the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth."
- `The Fire in the Shadows: The Roots And Aims Of Modern Magickal Sexuality' by Timothy O'Neill, from GNOSIS 17
>>
>>8132927
Why be a loser, though, when you can be a winner?
>>
>>8133379
religion is rules

esoterics are intangible bullshit
>>
>>8132929
>>8133058
>>8133307
Oh dear. Looks like someone forgot about Hesychasm. And St Francis of Assisi. And literally half the saints who were Mystics. And the fact that Christian mysticism is the same as Christian esotericism.
>he's been sipping the literal interpretation kool-aid
>>
>>8135705
>And St Francis of Assisi.
He didn't write. His teaching is mostly revolving around prayer and devotion to the sacred heart.

>And literally half the saints who were Mystics.
Only some and most didn't write.
>And the fact that Christian mysticism is the same as Christian esotericism.
Mysticism in Christianity is about prayer and introspection. Augustine, John of the Cross, Theresa of Avila, Thomas Merton and all others are not esoteric at all.
>he's been sipping the literal interpretation kool-aid
No, I've actually read them.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.