[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Books people lie about having read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
>'have you read 1984?'
>"oh yeah yeah ive read it, real wake up, big brother, predicted the future pretty much"
>'how about them stupid proles, huh?'
>"oh uh, what? it's been a while since ive read it sorry"
Every fucking time. It's not like 84 is even a remotely difficult read, for the life of me I can't figure out why people would lie about reading lit in the first place
>>
File: 5129.jpg (26 KB, 311x475) Image search: [Google]
5129.jpg
26 KB, 311x475
>>8130714
>"to be honest I feel like HUXLEY predicted modern society way more accurately in Brave New World"
>'ah yeah man, loved that book back in high school, what was the main character's name again?'
>"oh umm, it's been a while since ive read it"
>'what was the author's first name again?'
>""
>>
>>8130714
>I can't figure out why people would lie about reading lit in the first place
People like to provide what they perceive as a socially acceptable answer, and when there's a lot of talk about a certain topic or piece of media, you can pick up enough lines of dialogue to pass off as someone who's not only knowledgeable about said topic, but came to the same conclusions as everyone else. Giving a vague, general answer that's in line with the popular consensus means that there's less risk in being prodded to go further, and risk losing the illusion that you're not with the program.
>>
>>8130714
I imagine half this board at least is lying about having read one or all of the meme trilogy
>>
>>8130737
So this is how someone who has read 1984 sounds like
>>
>>8130732
dude i read brave new world a few months ago and i cant even remember thhe main guys name...something stupid.... the book was kinda dumb
>>
I don't understand why everybody hates 1984
It's a very pleasing and light reading, it's not bad, it's pretty good
>>
>>8130937
Bernard McMemedick or something like that
>>
File: FB_IMG_1463337859265.jpg (41 KB, 475x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1463337859265.jpg
41 KB, 475x960
>>8131206
It's Jhon
>>
>>8130732
>>8130714
To be fair, the people probably aren't lying. We all were at least SUPPOSED to read it in school.
>>
>tfw you have a piss poor memory and genuinely respond with shit like "uhh it's been a while" leading to people thinking you lie about the books you've read
the struggle is real
>>
>>8132710
This is me, also people use to think I lied about reading Lolita even though I read it when I was about 10 and couldn't comprehend half of the book due to my naivety
>>
>>8130732
>to be honest I feel like HUXLEY predicted modern society way more accurately in Brave New World
People always say this shit every single fucking time.
Both are garbage middle school literature not worth discussing.
I don't really get what people want to discuss about this fucking book, enough is enough.
>>
File: brave-n.jpg (47 KB, 300x457) Image search: [Google]
brave-n.jpg
47 KB, 300x457
>>8131209

John's the savage guy he finds...who then somehow becomes the protagonist.
>>
>>8131206
Bernard's last name is Marx, probably the most obvious allusion in the entire novel.
>>
>>8132710
iktfb
I'm so shit at remembering small details about books I read, even if they're fairly recent
>>
>>8134609
how come.

is it not predicting modern society accurately?

maybe you're not tall enough to look like an Alpha and that's eating you inside, so you feel the need to hate anything that isn't meme reading-for-prose literature
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.