[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, in your opinion, what are the greatest horror stories or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_md58ogC1Ej1qfx19zo1_540.jpg (163 KB, 540x766) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_md58ogC1Ej1qfx19zo1_540.jpg
163 KB, 540x766
So, in your opinion, what are the greatest horror stories or authors? Is it just Poe, Lovecraft, and King, or is there better written, more chilling authors out there? What are these, in your opinion, if any?
>>
I've heard Thomas Ligotti is pretty spooky if you like your horror philosophical
>>
>>8129186
>if you like your horror philosophical
I fuckin do. I should buy a book by him next. He makes short stories right? Good. That seems to be all I have the attention span to read now a days. I keep a couple books next to my bed, cioran and pessoa, I read a couple pages of it before I go to bed. It's satisfying. I could always use more night stand books.
>>
>>8129237
definitely check out teatro grotessco and songs of a dead dreamer. also, if you're in for a more straightforward pessimistic rant, check out the conspiracy against the human race
>>
>>8129262
I'm gonna be honest with you, I got conspiracy against the human race, and I had to look up like 5 new words every paragraph so I put it down. I may be easily disheartened, but I still have the book. I'm sure I'll build up the courage to try it again some time in the near future.
>>
bi-monthly reminder that the following genre is shit:

horror

This includes:

Poe
King
Lovecraft
Timmy 'le sad ugly manlet' Ligotti

Gooesbumps tier pap
>>
>>8129272
wow, cool story man. I don't suppose you got any better suggestions. You're like those republicans that come in and say everything is shit but never say why and secretly just want to make everything worse.
>>
>>8129272
>>8129278
don't let em' get to anon, everything is subjective, even so called "high art" in the end, we bring our own value to the works. I've yet to be shown some objective measure of quality that hasn't come down to personal opinion or building off of someone else's opinion
>>
>>8129306
*get to you
>>
Please stop with this King meme. He's a rambling drug addict who writes for mass consumption and movie deals.
>>
>>8129269
hehe, the gist is that life is shit and purposeless and there's nothing we can do about it
>>
>>8129156
Robert Aickman
Algernon Blackwood
Ambrose Bierce
W. W. Jacobs
M. R. James
Arthur Machen
Clark Ashton Smith
>>
I like Geiman when he gets spooky. He has a couple short stories here and there that are awesome.
>>
Ligotti
T.E.D. Klein
Tom Piccirrilli
Karl Edward Wagner
Laird Barron
Ramsey Campbell
Clive Barker

Overall modern horror is kind of lacking in my opinion. Even though I like the above authors, the fact that writers like Ligotti and Klein are considered to be the top-tier horror authors of the modern-era really raises some questions on the overall quality of contemporary horror.

seconding or thirding or whatever Aickman, James, Blackwood, and Machen.
>>
>>8129414
>>8129437
This.
>>
Hp Lovecraft
Algernon blackwood

Skip everything else
>>
Brian Evenson's good too
>>
>>8129319
early King novels are dope as fuck
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.