[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hyperion Cantos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: xpzles.jpg (190 KB, 1600x655) Image search: [Google]
xpzles.jpg
190 KB, 1600x655
Let's discuss Hyperion Cantos /lit/
Which books you think were better, Hyperion ones or Endymion?
Also, IIRC there are some continuity or lore errors, can't remember exactly what, that imply Simmons wanted to reboot them. If anyone remembers which those are..?
>>
>>8126667
>quads of by one
>>
I am currently reading an omnibus of the first two books
>>
>>8126688
Where are you atm?
First two are one of the best books I've ever read, masterpieces.
>>
Reading the first one ATM and I'm up to Sol Weintraub's story and I'm not that impressed tbqhwyf.
>>
Read the first one and it was a let down to be honest.
The only good story was the one of the priest and the cruciforms, the rest was a pile of bull...
>>
>>8126761
I'd say only half or a third of the first book was good to be honest, by which I mean:

The Priest's Tale (just a brilliant anthropological excursion),
The Scholar's Tale (a notable account of aging backwards in time, with parallels to motifs in universal literature),
and maybe The Consul's Tale (a variation of The Scholar Tale's gimmick, but stands on its own).
>>
Hyperion is in need of rewrite desu, but not just because of continuity errors. Overall Simmons needed to revise the structure of his stories, as posters like >>8126761 >>8126772 >>8126730 mentioned.

Apparently they were marvelous for their time in the science fiction world, but they needed more than allusions to Chaucer and Keats to be genuinely impressive.
>>
>>8126772
Yeah the fist two you mentioned are really good. The rest of it was not that impressive, I don't even remember the consul tale honestly.

Also, really lame how he acts like all the stories are building up to something but it turns out that it's all loose strands with no pay-off. Glad I read it for free.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.