[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else feel like Doc is a stand in for Pynchon himself?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 441x441) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 441x441
Does anyone else feel like Doc is a stand in for Pynchon himself? The bit about the heroin eroding the girls teeth away comes off as a real conversation someone had with him.
>>
>>8126111
Maybe, but only to the extent that any author's characters are reflections of them. He's probably closer to a blend of Benny Profane and Slothrop irl.
>>
>>8126114
Slothrop is too much of a schlemiel to be Pynchon. Tommy's an intelligent guy, neurotic but intelligent. I feel like when wrapped up in the zeitgeist of the late 60's he was a very confused man.
>>
pynchon probably just knew his fair share of junkies and burnouts living in manhattan beach
>>
>>8126111
Unrelated to your question, but that face was such a great moment in the film. Made me kek hard.
>>
>>8126111
It literally is.

What "Journey Into the Mind of P." His ex-gf (she claims she was 17 when they were dating and he was writing GR - and Bianca is based off her) shows the house they lived in in Manhattan beach.

Looks exactly like Doc's home in Inherent Vice.

Plus Joaquin has that fucked up lip so Pynchon probably relates because of muh teeth.
>>
>>8126703
Watch*
>>
>>8126134
He jumped out of a window in Mexico to dodge some reporters and if the documentary >>8126703 referred to is to be believed, he did goofy shit like crossdressing to "disguise" himself and acting out parts of Gravity's Rainbow in goofy voices to his girlfriend at the time. He's a wacky guy by all accounts, or at least was one when he was young.
>>
>>8126703
The part in that movie about the end of GR was fucking freaky shit.
>>
>>8126703

>literally

As opposed to metaphorically?
>>
>>8126952
I forgot what they said about it. Something about leaving The Zone?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.