[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
World of Warcraft Roleplay Writing [Why delete this, mods?]
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: rpgazebo.jpg (56 KB, 580x297) Image search: [Google]
rpgazebo.jpg
56 KB, 580x297
Hello, /lit/.

This is the first time that I have ever visited this board, and it is the first time I have ever posted. I thought it would be best to come here as I knew of its existence, to ask my question which has been nagging me for quite some time regarding an insecurity of my writing competence.

As the title says, I am a Roleplayer on the MMO, World of Warcraft.
I have done so for around - I think - seven years in total and this includes having to learn the general manners and rules which come with Roleplay itself, but also the rules of writing. I openly admit that during the start of the Roleplaying lifestyle my writing was utter shit and was far worse than it is today, but this is beside the point.

The problem I have is that there is a 'blockade' to the creativity and the capability to produce long and descriptive emotes with ease during Roleplay.

>NOTE: The issue does not seep into the generation of ideas for Roleplay scenarios, that is fine. The issue lies in the actual process of reacting, and describing the actions given by my character of choice during the Roleplay session.

This problem is a very recent thing, thus the reason why I have come here.
My initial suspicions were that I had some sort of a writers block, that I have simply Roleplayed for too many days over too many years and finally the ebb and flow of creativity has settled into a still pool of an utterly mundane nature.

The concept of this being the reason why, utterly terrifies me. I want to Roleplay, I have done so for so long and I love doing it, but the situation I appear to be in has put a halt to all of this. Albeit unwillingly.
I need to know if there is a good trick to getting those creative juices flowing again, or if there are methods to increase the quantity of descriptive writing being typed out.

In-game there is a limited size to a block of text, which people call a 'paragraph', even though it is not like your average paragraph, especially not as large. They can be ignored with the use of specific game addons, but the unit of '1.00' is highlighted beside the chat box in order to inform you how many paragraphs are currently written to keep track. Below, I'll give you an example of the paragraph size, and how it would look in-game.

>[Character] Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example Example

Now in Roleplay, anyone who is worth their salt can write up to around four to five - or even more - of these emotes in succession in their turn to write, filled with detail and descriptive goodness which improves and immerses the players in the fantasy setting.

I used to be able to reach such levels, but over time I have lost the touch and at best I can fill around two paragraphs.

TL;DR: I am having trouble with effectively performing descriptive writing.
>>
>>8125643
Read a book
>>
start with the greeks
>>
>>8127218
/thread

Father Brown series is pretty good for what you're looking for, clever and enjoyBle characterisations and descriptions with a range of different characters covered.
>>
>>8125643
>>>/qst/
>>
File: 1391469672762.jpg (123 KB, 619x623) Image search: [Google]
1391469672762.jpg
123 KB, 619x623
KYS
>>
>>8125643
Get involved in text based MUDs. That shit is like crack tho.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.