[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1461329162109.jpg (209 KB, 700x884) Image search: [Google]
1461329162109.jpg
209 KB, 700x884
Dear /lit/ I need your advice.
I want to buy a little collection of books for my sister. She has her 18th birthday this month and I want to give her some must reads.
Problem is, she has only been reading bullshit girl stuff until now so I can not confront her with something like Ulysses right away.
What would you suggest?
>>
>>8123306
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Black-Classics-Box-Penguin/dp/0141398876
>>
Mrs. Dalloway
Some Shakespeare if she hasn't read it for school already
In my experience, chicks dig Hart Crane and Wallace Stevens
Dubliners is good for any young person
She might like the Romantics. Give her William Blake if you're daring.

But frankly, I always think this kind of thread is rather silly. You know her better than we do.
>>
>>8123341
Yes but although I read a lot some of you might know a better book for beginners.
Thats why I am asking. To get some ideas.

Thanks so far.
>>
You should buy her books that she wants to read and not just a collection of books that you are like or think are important for some misguided reason. This means avoiding giving her the first folio and a collection of stuffy 19th century literature.

Since she only reads "bullshit girl stuff" I presume you have a wide and sophisticated taste in literature and you should be able to come up with a choice selection of intelligent books you would reasonably expect an 18 year old girl to read and enjoy.
>>
>>8123359
This
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.