[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, /lit/. I was looking for recommendations on the following
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: camille pissarro1.jpg (56 KB, 600x497) Image search: [Google]
camille pissarro1.jpg
56 KB, 600x497
Hello, /lit/.

I was looking for recommendations on the following themes:

>Depression
No self help or best seller books. These are generally bad.

>Ancient civilizations
Will dump a few names, as ''ancient'' is just too vague: amorites, hittites, caananites, moabites, ammonites, edomites, the twelve tribes in general. Or celtic tribes, I still have a hard tribe distinguishing such variety within them.

Also, I would rather if they were easy to find on PDF. I live abroad and some titles that I find don't sell on bookstores, and I can't buy anything on the internet for a few months.

Pic not related
>>
>>8122897
Download Soulseek and goto user Bijuz, I have a huge archaeology collection from many of the civs you mentioned

>depression
unless you are in a romantic relationship i would def recommend prozac. books dont help, they make it worse. just being real with you.

tao te ching and meditations i guess
>>
File: Untitled.png (97 KB, 1223x611) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
97 KB, 1223x611
>>8122908
pic related
>>
File: tumblr_mq0kymhfpF1r076xro1_500.jpg (155 KB, 500x669) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mq0kymhfpF1r076xro1_500.jpg
155 KB, 500x669
>>8122908
I don't need medication, I just wanted some form of catharsis. If the Meditations is from Marcus Aurelius, already read it.

And some may actually help, at least to see the hole you dug for yourself. At least it happened when I read Crime and Punishment.

>>8122914
Will download Soulseek just for this. Thank you!
>>
my diary desu
>>
>>8122897

For a good book about depression, check out The Noonday Demon. Yeah it's a bestseller, but don't write it off because of that. It's a very well written and well researched tome about all sorts of facets of depression. It talks about its history, treatments, the author and other's experience with depression, how depression works among men, women, the poor, and minorities, the scientific and psychological views and theories on it, etc.

Also, it probably has one of the most impressive blurb collections I've seen in a book, getting praise from James Watson, W.G. Sebald, Harold Bloom and more.
>>
>>8122925
This was actually the approach I was looking for. I only had the intention to ignore best sellers because they are usually about a woman who has gone through a depressive period and wrote a book about it.
>>
With regards to depression, check out a book called All That Is Solid Melts Into Air.

It is an exploration of modernism by examining some key modernist texts. It doesn't address depression at all or really offer any solutions, but you might be surprised to what extent it can help contextualise modern misery. And a better understanding helps, right?
>>
>>8122918
the ebooks room in soulseek is pretty great too desu

I dont "need" meds either, but man, i have actually been reading a lot of happy books lately, and it does not help.

also, look at the book by Michael Wood, In Search of the Trojan War. It has a huge section on Hittite and Achaen relations

>>8122925
>The Noonday Demon
will hit this up, ty anon
>>
>>8122897
>Ancient civilizations

Look up what you are interested in on oxfordbibliography, and then buy for less than a dollar on alibris, the best texts always end up being discarded college textbooks

>depression
>tfw you think you have passed your depression on to your kids

My little girl is getting melancholy
>>
>>8122908
I can't find you on Soulseek. I don't know how to use it, either kek
>>
>>8122956
i am online and in the ebooks room. you may have to share something like a books folder to browse

what is your screenname
>>
>>8122966
Weirdanon

Will try to share a folder, then will take yours.

I am a little lost
>>
>>8122914
Any chance of upping your collection in a torrent?
>>
>>8122971
Uploaded a random folder of mine. I think I am managing to download what you have.

>>8122986
That would be a good idea.
>>
>>8122986
>Any chance of upping your collection in a torrent?

I actually got it from a torrent, but BTdigg is down, and torrentz isnt showing it.

Also, murrican ISP with upload cap. Soulseek does work
>>
>>8123030
I clicked to download two folders (Archeology and History Books), and it's downloading everything, it seems. It will take a while, still on 0,7%.
>>
>>8123103
its 9 gigs, download what interests you. I locked uploads to like 1 at a time. My internet is shit
>>
>>8122925
I can't seem to find it on PDF. Could someone help me with this one?
>>
Bump?
>>
>>8123643
Damn, I was actually excited to read this. But the only active torrent has no seeds at all.
>>
Depression: Praying Drunk by Kyle Minor. It's a collection of short stories but it's really good. Sad, but good.
>>
>>8123643

Guy who recc'd it to you here. Sorry, but I found my copy at a used book store.

If you want a preview to hold your patience until you can get it, here's the article the book is just a really long version of: http://andrewsolomon.com/articles/anatomy-of-melancholy/
>>
>>8123722
Thank you. There are no copies available in my original language, nor in any bookstores. If you find something by any chance would be glad if you posted in this thread (or make a new one, when this one becomes erased).
>>
File: 822.jpg (35 KB, 562x516) Image search: [Google]
822.jpg
35 KB, 562x516
>>8123751
Fuggg, finally found it, but in my language. Was looking for the wrong translated title.
>>
I searched Bijuz and it said hat the username didnt exist

halp
>>
found bijuz
requesting file list or something
>>
File: 1464545656440.png (494 KB, 463x568) Image search: [Google]
1464545656440.png
494 KB, 463x568
>>8122897
>Depression
Nietzsche. No, I'm not memeing you, I genuinely mean it.
>>
>>8123815
OP again. Read Ecce Hommo, Thus Spoke Zarathustra and The Antichrist.

When I finally understood what he meant on Zarathustra, I had a break down and finally admitted I had depression. That was two years ago.

>>8123789
bijuz*, not Bijuz.
>>
>>8123827
Huh, I credit Nietzsche for helping me out of (the worst part of) depression.
For me depression has sort of two parts, one is the mood issues, tiredness, impatience, etc., the other the general outlook on life. The second part it really helped, the first is probably more of a chemical issue afaik.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.