[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: TheManInBlack.jpg (87 KB, 540x368) Image search: [Google]
TheManInBlack.jpg
87 KB, 540x368
Thoughts?
>>
>>8115734
a cute crow
crows were his favorite animals
>>
>>8115734
Series started off very, very good. Gunslinger is probably the best thing Stephen King ever wrote.

Quality dropped off dramatically in the later books.
>>
>>8115757
Pretty much.

The Dark Tower was supposed to be King's magnum opus, and if I'm not mistaken, he wanted it to be "his" LOTR.

The Gunslinger is by far King's best work, and TDT could've been so much better than what it turned out to be.

Basically, anyone interested in the saga should read the first book and be done with it.
The second book is good, and the third and fourth are alright, but starting from the fifth, it goes downhill fast. King really fucked up on this one.
>>
>>8118065

I can see exactly why you think those things. But I really like the disjointed, almost schizophrenic feel of the whole saga.

The whole thing is more a parade of interesting ideas and set-pieces than a complete 'mythos'. The glue that holds the whole array together really is Roland.

I think the best of King's writing can be found in the saga, and not just in the gunslinger. I found 'The Wind Through the Keyhole' very compelling, and this can be read independently of the others.
>>
>>8118217
No, I agree. King manages to blend several seemingly incompatible concepts and ideas. Roland really is the center of King's work (not only the Dark Tower, but his other stories as well), and his world ties together all the others.

However, it's not the disjointed nature of TDT that I didn't like, it's just that starting from book five, King started messing up badly. The Wolves of the Calla was boring and drawn-out, and the Song of Susannah felt completely unnecessary. The seventh book is marginally better than the former two, but it still sucks. Mordred is one of the most badly-written characters King ever created, and Walter's death was extremely disappointing. The guy's supposed to be King's version of Nyarlathotep, and he gets killed by a spider.
Right after Roland's backstory, the plot line became incoherent, King's self-insertion was awful, and the ending was predictable. Also, a trigger warning before the actual ending? Fucking hell.
>>
>King
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.