[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I read fast (not very fast, but fast) and tend to skip words
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image_for_4chan_post.jpg (39 KB, 240x206) Image search: [Google]
image_for_4chan_post.jpg
39 KB, 240x206
I read fast (not very fast, but fast) and tend to skip words (and sometimes whole lines) that I don't understand.

I tried forcing myself to slow down, and read "carefully" but it turned reading into a painful exercise.

Am I a bad reader if I skip things that I don't understand while reading?
>>
Y E S

But who care? You just wont progress as fast as someone who put in more efforts,thats all.
>>
Of course you are. Not only that, generally reading fast also makes you a bad reader. How can a metaphorical sentence affect you, if you read on immediately. How can the image a writer paints emerge in your head if you skip ahead just to get by with the story?
>>
>>8113016
It's fine. Don't listen to the autists.

The majority of older novels aren't worth line by line scrutiny. And weren't written with it in mind.
>>
I guess we're opposites. I refuse to move on until I've understood the meaning of the sentence.
>>
>>8113016
Goddamn, you know by skipping the lines you don't understand and not taking your time.. Reading is supposed to broaden your vocabulary and influence you, how the fuck is that gonna happen if you skim through a book like the fuckin Sunday paper!
>tl;dr Yes you are a horrible reader and probably mouth breather
>>
>>8113016
sometimes i do this to, but mostly with novels that are highly descriptive and dont seem to be all about developing ideas(fantasy mostly ), i feel like i build a picture in my head rather than absorbing every word. But if you are reading something has merit for its ideas you do need to stop and reread to get the full effect and digest it, and it isn't as easy but its because you actually have to think and put the ideas into your own words and try to understand them.
>>
>>8113016
>I tried forcing myself to slow down, and read "carefully" but it turned reading into a painful exercise.

Reading carefully shouldn't be a problem if you're reading things you actually like.
>>
I wish I could find a balance. I'm the ADHD opposite of OP, I read extremely slow because I focus so much on each sentence that I end up on an endless tangent that gets me daydreaming for 5 minutes on each sentence. I am cursed.
>>
>>8113016
read something with less intriguing plot and more engaging prose.
>Virginia Woolf
>James Juice
>Cormac McCarthy

Or, read Borges' work. His stories are very short but so densely packed with information you have to be paying attention to each sentence.

That should help train your brain
>>
Kindle helpes with that, you click on a word you don't understand and you get its definition. The word is then added to a list you could study later.

I used to skip a lot when I was younger, but not exactly like you do. When I didn't understand a word, I could usually (99% of the time) understand the meaning of the sentence without it. Helped with English tests because I didn't linger on each and every word, read fast and finished quickly. But when you skip and fail to understand a whole line/s, there's a problem.
>>
I write down every wrote I don't understand and then look them up at the end of the chapter
>>
>>8113016
If you miss something that the writer tried to convey and make no effort to go back and understand, you run a pretty big risk of missing plenty more than that, which can shit on the reading experience as a whole.

I've learned how to read faster over the months, but I've also learned that how fast you read really doesn't matter if vital pieces of a story/text bounce off your mind inconsequentially.

Learn your threshold for comprehension and embrace it.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.