[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gimme a list of Greek and Roman philosophers relevant to understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 20140823_175626.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20140823_175626.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Gimme a list of Greek and Roman philosophers relevant to understand recent western philosophy.

I'm tired of postponing starting with the greeks
>>
>Roman philosophers relevant to understand recent western philosophy.
N/A. You're supposed to move on to Medieval philosophers after the Greeks.
>>
All of them tbqhwyf
>>
>>8112230
marcus aurelius man
>>
>>8112230
I'm getting depressed over the backlog I have but I'll persevere.

I just want to take most out of schopenhauer and nietzsche and other post hegelian philosophers.
>>
just read the fucking greeks.
>>
File: 1464694999056.jpg (375 KB, 867x1000) Image search: [Google]
1464694999056.jpg
375 KB, 867x1000
Tfw greek Bros tried to warn us and we didn't listen
>>
>>8112241
The only good roman philosophers were also greek (Aurelius, Epictetus, Laertes, Plotinus, and Plutarch). Latin-speaking Romans only had Seneca and Cicero, and then a metric shit-ton of Christians.
>>
>>8112580
Pretty funny champerelli
>>
>>8112580
It's pretty messed up to be hating on single mothers like that.
>>
"The safest general characterization of the European philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Plato." (Whitehead)

Read Plato, with that you also have Socrates. Add Aristoteles, and you've got the big 3 down. Then maybe consider Epicurus, and for a few pre-socraticus, Democritus and Heraclitus. Then you should probably move to some Roman/early christian guys - e.g. Boethius.
>>
>>8112218
>Gimme a list of Greek and Roman philosophers relevant to understand recent western philosophy.

There are none, except perhaps Aristotle.
>>
>>8115706

Aight.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.