[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is The Stranger so beloved? It poses the central conundrum
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 367365753.jpg (43 KB, 324x500) Image search: [Google]
367365753.jpg
43 KB, 324x500
Why is The Stranger so beloved? It poses the central conundrum of existentialism, but doesn't offer much in the way of a solution. Is it just because Albert Camus was early to the existentialist party?

On an unrelated note, I love the cover. It's so harsh on the eyes. It gives you a good feeling for the ideas in the book.
>>
If you want solutions, read a self-help book.
>>
>>8109901
All I'm saying is that philosophers like Nietzsche, Kierkegaard and the like offered solutions to mans existential crisis.

In The Stranger, Mersault just edgelords himself to death. When he killed the Arab guy, he basically dies too. When he comes to the realization that life is meaningless, he becomes a non-entity.

Why did Camus write the ending like he did? Obviously, if he had the same mentality as Mersault he would never have written anything in the first place.
>>
>>8109949

>Nietzsche

Shitty 'Übermensch' that has been discredited to Hell and back.

>Kierkegaard
>Le leap of faith
>Le find a truth that is true for you
>>
>>8109949
Read something else by Camus. Merseult is pretty far removed from Camus and he's certainly not like characters in Sartre's books.

I think the first half up to the death of the Arab shows a character modeling something, perhaps nihilism. Merseult's mom likely undergoes the same transformation in the nursing home that Merseult does later in prison (recognizing the futility and shortness of her remaining life, she chooses to love), and he is likely showing the reaction of another type of intellectual to someone dying an absurd death. In the second half Merseult becomes the hero as he begins to really think about things and have an internal life; culminating in his absurd death as a rebellion against the absurdity of his life.

He is not a good guy. He's a bad guy redeemed in prison.
>>
>>8109966
Spookfag pls go
>>
>>8109949
not quite. Yes, he has become something of a half-person in his nihilism, but his death sentence gives his life meaning because he accepts the absurd. His happiness within prison walls is Sisyphus' happiness.
>>
>>8109892
Read 'The Plague' or 'A Happy Death'
>>
>>8110005
>>8110018
I don't remember Mersault finding any kind of fulfillment at the end of the book, perhaps I need to reread that last bit. Thanks for the clarification.
>>
>>8109949
Your mistake is in thinking The Stranger is an end point to the idea of Absurdism. It's the starting point. That's why there is no solution given. Read the Myth of Sisyphus if you want the solution. Camus suggest we accept the absurd. Rather than committing suicide or taking the leap, Camus says life will be lived more fully and more passionately if you accept the absurd for what it is without circumnavigating what it entails.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.