[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am a litizen but I'm starting to see reading books as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: joss_whedon.jpg (281 KB, 1300x1735) Image search: [Google]
joss_whedon.jpg
281 KB, 1300x1735
I am a litizen but I'm starting to see reading books as a faggot hobby. Is anyone else in this situation? The pretentiousness of /lit/, all while hypocritically sucking academia-media-publishing industrial complex cock, is astounding.

>Books R Art... but only if a famous publisher publishes it!

>Reading is noble.. but NEETs who read all day are loserz!

>Reading teaches you about the human condition... but don't imply that leaving the house can teach you that too, you'll expose my boring book as a scam that can't even pretend to be entertainment.

>Book quality is subjective... unless an academic says it's objective!
>>
people have different opinions
>>
>>8108872
well, OP, if you were reading to be cool but hate the cool kids, maybe you could hate yourself for who you are cool/uncool and leave books out of it. or did a book hurt you?
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
>I'm starting to see reading books as a faggot hobby
>>
I'm falling headfirst for this b8 but whatever

This only ever comes up when we dismiss self-published books. It's not because we demand that books be published by a famous publisher, it's because self-published books suck 99% of the time. There's a correlation with a very obvious cause.

>Reading is noble.. but NEETs who read all day are loserz!
There's disagreement over this. But as Greek mythology should tell you, there's a safe middle way here. Besides, all the NEETs ive seen on this board never manage to read any more in a day than I do.

>Reading teaches you about the human condition... but don't imply that leaving the house can teach you that too, you'll expose my boring book as a scam that can't even pretend to be entertainment.
Never hears anyone here say that reading is about understanding the human condition. And if you're upset that /lit/ doesn't appreciate good things besides literature, you're a true moron.

>Book quality is subjective... unless an academic says it's objective!
If people on /lit/ were prepared to admit that quality is subjective, there would be no /lit/. Tey again, dipshit.
>>
This is some real low quality bait
>>
>>8108872
Most of /lit/ enjoys indie publishers, not necessarily famous ones. Dalkey Archive gets a lot of love.
>>
>>8108944
I love you man
>>
>>8108872
>academia-media-publishing industrial complex cock

They literally demand you don't read anything thats not James Joyce and don't read the translations of anything

Never heard this before

>but NEETs who read all day are loserz!

They are, and its not nobility faggot its just a preferred hobby and art form around here....on the literature forum....

>but don't imply that leaving the house can teach you that too

Most of the time it can't. Ever met a redneck before?

>unless an academic says it's objective

Literally no one has said that
>>
Usually what people see as meaningful or "self-improving" is completely arbitrary and most people who are really keen to always be meaningful and self-improving really need some kind of authority to tell them just what and how and it often seems completely arbitrary.
For example if a person wants to be certifiably educated it isn't just enough for them to sit around and read things but you also need a school to reinforce, confirm that they actually understand through tests and grades, give them a clear idea of what is failure and success. Yet when a form of entertainment(video games) that actually does this, just what the school does people hate the very idea of it.
>>
File: kafka2.jpg (56 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
kafka2.jpg
56 KB, 500x333
>>8108935
I definitely think quality is subjective, I just come here because it's entertaining and familiar, and because there's occasionally discussion that doesn't revolve around braindead shit-flinging.

>>8108872
Yes, /lit/ is garbage, but people read books for a long time before /lit/ existed. The lack of perspective and maturity among people who supposedly read a lot is astounding, I agree. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.