[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recently read this and really loved it. I plan on getting into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: John-Williams-Stoner.jpg (171 KB, 400x650) Image search: [Google]
John-Williams-Stoner.jpg
171 KB, 400x650
Recently read this and really loved it. I plan on getting into his other work, but I can't find any copies near me now. Any other writers that write fiction as compelling as this that are around the same difficulty level? I'm a pretty substantial pleb.
>>
I'd also be down for recs for fiction that might be able to help be a bridge into more difficult works.
>>
>>8107344
>a pretty substantial pleb

why are people so hard on themselves?
sure you're entry level af in terms of proper literature
but in terms of general fiction readers you are superior to 95% of readers
>>
other than some famous examples fiction isn't difficult. Really just a matter of patience and having the correct approach. if you really loved Stoner you are good on the latter
>>
Are his other books as good?
>>
>>8107393
Yes! Augustus is even better and Butcher's Crossing is also excellent.
>>
File: 1427584140958s.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1427584140958s.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
anyone else want to eviscerate edith? I know he kinda raped her but christ, what a poisonous cunt.
>>
Augustus is a collection of letters - if you're not used to this format it can be difficult

Butchers Crossing is righteous - as good as, possibly better than stoner but somehow less hyped

Edith haters need to read some austen/woolf - shes is herself trapped in the situation of marriage as attrition warfare
>>
>>8107438
I felt really torn between the emotions of being so infuriated by her, but also understanding how she is the way she is. it left me just sad and frustrated with the way people are.
>>
>>8107376
thanks anon. "pleb taste" isn't an embarrassing thing to me. just used to this site i guess.
>>
>>8107474

any idea where i can find these? just got back into reading. read stoner a few years ago and loved it. googling found nothing :(
>>
>>8107733
You want physical or digital?
>>
>>8107733
they're all ~$10 on amazon
>>
>>8107344
If you want something as compelling I found Revolutionary Road to be as emotive. The writing is just so good at conveying the emotions of the marriage I can see similarities with Stoner. Stoner is one also of my favourites. Everytime Stoner returned to his parents it just hit me. The lack of common ground felt so relatable to me.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.