[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think about this book? I was considering reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: 810IASGMUYL.jpg (333 KB, 1616x2560) Image search: [Google]
810IASGMUYL.jpg
333 KB, 1616x2560
What does /lit/ think about this book?

I was considering reading it because everyone has only good things to say about it, but judging by the title it sounds like a book that teaches you how to be manipulative, insincere and fake for business-type persons who want to network, make connections, and get more power. It was also released in the 30s and I don't wanna learn to address to girls with madame.
>>
when did the age limit go down to 14?
>>
>>8100888
Please refrain from trolling
>>
>>8100885
You should stop making so many assumptions about books. Also stop being a filthy pinko scumbag. It's a good book.
>>
Outdated and common sense but if you're a social retard it might help a little
>>
>>8100889
im not trolling, im serious, are you 14 or mentally retarded?
>>
>>8100892
>You should stop making so many assumptions about books.
Making assumptions is inherent to humans, so I laid out mine but with an open mind to change them.

>filthy pinko scumbag
I don't know what that means
>>
read this but still have no friends, please help
>>
>>8100885
Read it when I was 10. Taught me that argument is stupid and no one likes you if you do it. Became a doormat as a result. Luckily there's 4chan to get me back up to speed.
>>
>>8100894
>Outdated and common sense
Then how come it's so insanely popular? The vast majority of people are not socially challenged
>>
>>8100898
idiots should understand that if you have 0(ZERO) friends before reading this shit, you'll still have 0(ZERO) friends after reading it
>>
>>8100895
Please refrain from trolling
>>
>>8100885

It's mostly about how to be charismatic in a business setting. If you want to cure your autism, it won't help. If you follow it 100% at a social setting like a party, you'll look like an asshole.
>>
>>8100900
>Taught me that argument is stupid and no one likes you if you do it. Became a doormat as a result
Surely the advice was more nuanced than that but your 10 year old self misinterpreted it, no? Whether to argue or not sounds like a contextual decision
>>
>>8100901
Because people are literal sheep who will read and rave about anything that's popular enough.
>>
>>8100910
Nah it was like don't tell ppl outright they're morons being a manipulative fucker and make them think that they agreed with you the whole time. Never works in the real world. Carnegie was just rich and never had to stick up for himself.
>>
>>8100907
I see. Sounds interesting, but I believe I'll probably end up skipping it in favour of literature more relevant to my interests and needs.
>>
>>8100903
how do I get friends then

:'(
>>
>>8100885
Jewish hogwash. Don't waste a minute.
>>
>>8100915
*be
>>
>>8100915
Confirmed idiot who never even read the intro to the book
>>
>>8100925
I was 10 what are intro desu!
>>
>>8100911
Oh no, I heard it recommended by competent people whom I respect on an intellectual level.
>>
>>8100915
ofcourse it works. Just have to figure out how to do it right.
People are actually quite stupid most of the times, myself included. Only on few occassions do i realise mindgames and are able to respond in kind.
>>
>>8100932
But making them feel stupid shuts them up quicker.
>>
>>8100932
Perhaps due to cognitive biases? It would be interesting to read a book that treats cognitive biases and how to defend against their effects
>>
>>8100931
protip, when people say XYZ is either "entry level" or "common sense" 9/10 times they are a pseud.
>>
>>8100936
Or it makes them feel defensive and do the opposite of shutting up quickly
>>
>>8100937
Defign cognitive bias? Pleb here and interested if this is the same as defending against passive aggressiveness?
>>
>>8100941
True but if it's "smart" ppl or at least ppl trying to come off as cultured they usually "don't dignify you with a response" ie they don't know what to say back and want to look like they're not stopping to your level.
>>
>>8100942
No, cognitive biases refer to the psychological effects that push humans to act irrationally due to a particular context: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases
>>
>>8100901
>Then how come it's so insanely popular?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
>>
>>8100950
Oh well on the topic but off the topic does anyone know of books to help defend against passive aggressiveness?
>>
>>8100964
It was not an argument https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignoratio_elenchi
>>
>>8100966
What do you mean defend against passive aggressiveness? You just deal with it like you deal with any sort of assholes.
>>
>>8100937
Or use their effects to make people do what you want them to do. regardless it's interesting.

>>8100942
Passive agressivness is manipulation yes. But is has nothing to do with cognitive biases.

>>8100936
Perhaps. Some people can't stand loss of face so that would have the opposite effect.
Many people would never admit being wrong so it's fair to assume they won't admit to being stupid either.
>>
2 year old boy here, please tell me how to make friends at the kindergarten
>>
File: 1460835044125.png (205 KB, 357x343) Image search: [Google]
1460835044125.png
205 KB, 357x343
>>8100915
>don't tell ppl outright they're morons
>Never works in the real world

You should listen to this guy. It sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.