[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What order should I read the Bible in? I have a Catholic one.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1384593913951392427.jpg (36 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
1384593913951392427.jpg
36 KB, 800x451
What order should I read the Bible in? I have a Catholic one.
>>
Start with the Jews.
>>
Chronological?
Or first the New Testament and then the Old because it's hard to go through all of the old just like that.
>>
Start with the greeks
>>
>>8097047
If you are a Christian and interested in the life of Jesus Christ, I recommend starting with the books closest in time to Jesus whose authenticity is actually 100% sure, i.e. the letters of Paul.
>>
I noticed the kjv isn't on the list of Catholic-approved translations. What's the /lit/-approved english translation?
>>
>>8097047
Randomly. There is no logic or order to the way the books are printed. It's all the result of endless bickering between the various Church fathers, bishops and emperors, until one of them took the whole sheaf and smacked it down hard on the table: "This is how it stays and I don't want to hear another word about it!"
>>
File: Silouanicon.jpg (42 KB, 285x367) Image search: [Google]
Silouanicon.jpg
42 KB, 285x367
>>8097047
Depends on how religious you are.

If you are coming from a mostly secular background I'd suggest starting with the books of Solomon, mainly Ecclesiastes and Proverbs. These are full of aphorisms, maxims and general life lessons that, for the most part, don't deal with God.

If you're more interested in learning about the Gospels and Life of Christ, start with Matthew and then read the other Apostles before moving on to the Church letters as the latter are mostly advice for living in Christ and how best to proselytize and some ritualistic doctrine.

If you want a full blown history, get yourself he Book of Enoch and then the Book of Jubilees and start there. Everything up until Exodus is super abridged and full of shitty translation errors; the most glaring one is serpent in almost all instances should be translated to Seraphim as its the same in Aramaic and the book of Enoch gives you the proper context.

After all that feel free to move on to the Apocrypha but avoid the Occult shit at all costs.
>>
>>8097078
Yeah I'm a Christian. Thanks for the recommendation.

>>8097104
kek

Thus far I've been reading it like that; just open a random page and start reading. I've heard that there's a good approach where you read the gospels in a specific order, though.
>>
>>8097179
Thanks for the insight, friend.
>>
Start with the Gospels, then read Genesis and parts of the remaining four books of the Torah. There is no real, good order to the books of the Bible other than those.
>>
>>8097096
Best translations in English are Douay-Reims, RSV 2nd Catholic Edition, and Knox.
>>
>>8097054
apex kek
>>
>>8097096
>KJV on Catholic-Approved translation
>KJV
>Catholic

Are you mentally ill or what?
>>
>>8098465
I specifically said it isn't catholic, and that I want a superior catholic one. Fuck off m9.
>>8098439
Thanks anon.
>>
>>8097047
Read Genesis and Exodus, skip Leviticus and Deuteronomy, read Judges and 1st+2nd Kings. Then read Daniel, Ezra and Nehemiah. Then read the Gospels followed by Revelation. The rest is mostly prophetic or instructive.
>>
>>8099822
*read Joshua and Judges
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.